Re-ticker back from tick fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apratt

Reaction score
I got my re-ticker back from its second tick repair today. Its first fix was March, 2005; its second fix started January 16 and was just completed. The delay started with the dealer getting the usual runaround from the Tech Line, so I had to call Customer Service. Then the service manager had a family problem (details unknown) that cost me about a week. Then we had to wait for my third-party "warranty" (service contract) people to send an inspector. Then the valves were backordered. Whatever.

As before, the ride home was noticeably peppier than the ride to the shop. There is no doubt in my mind that tickers are down on power.

At least my dealer believes me now... He was surprised and mystified last year when Yamaha told him to replace the entire head and send mine back to them. Then, this year, he still thought (at first) I was demanding a fix because of the noise (vs. the oil bleed-by and lack of power). Two things convinced him that both I and Yamaha knew more than he did: first, I told him there would be oil in the exhaust system before Yamaha told him the same thing; and second, I told him Yamaha would want to verify his parts list for the fix. When that came true, I could hear his whole attitude shift.

I hate that Yamaha is playing this so close to the vest, and as a result is making life unnecessarily painful for dealers and owners alike.

Is this the first "tick fix after tick fix"? Are there more?
Yes, there are. The seals recently introduced are the latest attempt to solve the problem-many bikes were repaired before these came out-it's highly possible they will be back in.

Is this the first "tick fix after tick fix"?  Are there more?
There have been a number of "re-tickers" in the last year to year a half.

We have not heard the last of this situation... not by any means.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, I thought as long as I waited for the new parts, stems and seals this would quit. What's an owner to do? I just got the bike to where is has most of the goodies hooked up. I just don't have the coin to do another one. And if I did would I get another ticker? Plus most of the stuuf won't go on an '06. Damn, Damn, Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's an owner to do?
Let me clarify my last post here......

The number of "re-tickers" I refer to are those who had their initial ticking episode repaired using the same early-generation valve stem seals (which are allegedly the root cause of the ticking all along).

So.... if your ticker was repaired within the last 6 months or so (i.e.: repaired using the new valve stem seals), then you're probably good-to-go (ASSuming the new valve stem seals are actually going to solve this ticking issue once and for all!)

However, if your ticker was repaired before the new seals arrived, you're no better off than poor Alan Pratt was here. Your's could start to tick again. Or, perhaps it won't.

Let's put it all in perspective: the very FIRST time we confirm a 2006 ticker, we can relax worry about whether or not the valve stem seals are THE fix to the issue. Because all 2006 FJRs allegedly have the new valve stem seals, so according to Yamaha, there should be NO 2006 models developing the tick.

We shall see.

I personally know almost a dozen hard-core LD Riders who are buying a 2006 FJR. this year. The way they tend to pile on the miles, it will be them most likely be the first to develop the tick if these new seals really aren't the fix.

Like I said... we shall see.

He was surprised and mystified last year when Yamaha told him to replace the entire head and send mine back to them.
Therein lies the problem. You didn't get a repaired bike, just another head like the one before, with the same chances of developing a tick as the original. You were just statistically unlucky. I'm not saying that mine is fixed any better or will make it another 26,000 without a relapse, just that yours got the same problem-prone component that was taken out.

Then we had to wait for my third-party "warranty" (service contract) people to send an inspector.
What's up with that? No Yamaha YES? Did you witness this "inspection" or was that something the dealer told you? I've never heard of corporate not trusting their own service facilities' judgement.

If your dealer is sketchy enouh to have corp. second guessing him, along with the delays due to personal issues, I'd be serious about finding another shop.

I had mine repaired also by GP Sports but in Santa Clara not eh one he had his fixed by in Cambell, Ca. Owned by the same people, I believe. I just kind of strange the two service depts. didn't confer about the fix. But maybe they did. Mine went smooth after the original diagnosis. Took them a few days to get the ok to fix it after the cam chain replacement. Hope this does it for you.

Everyone who has had a ticking engine repair should fire off a letter to:

Dennis McNeal

Vice President Motorcycle Operations

Yamaha Motor Corp.

https://www.motorcycledaily.com/14february06_r6buyback.htm

He should learn in great detail about the hassles, lost time, disbelieving uncooperative dealers, etc. that owners have had to endure to get this problem resolved. And, of course, it's doubly bad for those who have had a repaired engine need a second repair.

Everyone who has had a ticking engine repair should fire off a letter to:
Dennis McNeal

Vice President Motorcycle Operations

Yamaha Motor Corp.

https://www.motorcycledaily.com/14february06_r6buyback.htm

He should learn in great detail about the hassles, lost time, disbelieving uncooperative dealers, etc. that owners have had to endure to get this problem resolved. And, of course, it's doubly bad for those who have had a repaired engine need a second repair.
Or those whose repaired engine will never be the same again....

I think I may very well do just that, once my oil analysis comes back, if for no other reason than to write down the grief and get it out of my head. I wonder if he'd read it and, if so, reply, or even better, take action. If not, I hear Kawasaki may be coming out with a new sport tourer...I wonder how their warranty is? My problem is the same dealers carry them as Yamaha in my area.

I'm assuming it would go to:

6555 Katella Ave., Cypress, CA 90630

Another '03 re-ticker here; fixed Jan. 05. Canadian. No warranty. Perhaps the ever gracious Mr. WC will have a listen in Reno to confirm my diagnosis.

I'm not going to have a hissy fit just yet; I'll ride the season out and see what's happening then.

Kasey

Another '03 re-ticker here; fixed Jan. 05.  Canadian. No warranty. 
DAYUM, Kasey, I am saddened to hear that you're repaired ticker in ticking again. That is just crap, girl! :angry:

Perhaps the ever gracious Mr. WC will have a listen in Reno to confirm my diagnosis.
Yes, I'll be more than happy to put an ear to your motor in Reno. I suspect that I'll be doing a lot of that during WFO.... :(

I suspect that I'll be doing a lot of that during WFO....  :(
We should set up a separate parking area for tickers and tickers in remission, not unlike a leper colony. You know, ticking hasn't been ruled out as non-contagious yet. Will there be an award for loudest tick?

Perhaps the ever gracious Mr. WC will have a listen in Reno to confirm my diagnosis.

Yes, I'll be more than happy to put an ear to your motor in Reno. I suspect that I'll be doing a lot of that during WFO... (stop) Well...I hate to say it, but it appears to me that the whole affair might sound like a "cutlery convention" ! I sincerely hope that a survey is completed at that time in order to arrive at some meaningfull stats that, for once and for all, will tell the full extent of this horror show called...THE TICK !!!!!!!!!! Damn it all anyway. :assasin:

This whole scenario fits my preconceived notions of what is going on with the tickers. I would suspect that any ticker fixed a year or more ago would just tick again. In the other thread about the valve stem seals it is obvious from what I found out that the dealers are not even getting the revised valve stem seals even today unless they contact the Yamaha service help and make sure they are talking to the correct person. I don't know that the valve stem seals are the panacea that everyone is hoping for but they should be able to improve the sitation if they allow more lube down the guide.

WC.....has anyone positively identified that the seals changed on the 06's?? Like, by seeing the parts listing or something to confirm the part number changed? It hasn't changed for the 03-05's as all of those show the same, original part number for the valve stem seals and that is what you will get if you order them.

In the other thread about the valve stem seals it is obvious from what I found out that the dealers are not even getting the revised valve stem seals even today unless they contact the Yamaha service help and make sure they are talking to the correct person.
I can't recall exactly as my paperwork isn't available right now, but I seem to remember getting the old part number seals.

Is there a named person who we can talk to at Cypress that knows more about this than we do? I'd love to chat with that guy.

I stopped by the place that supposedly did my head work. Nice shop. The guy said "Yeah, we do a lot of those for the shops. I guess those motors have a problem with valve guides".

Lots to reply to here...

Yes, I knew that my first repair was a new head just like my old one. I was throwing the dice again and they came up snake-eyes for the second time.

Regarding warranty: I bought this bike used, and the original owner had a non-Yamaha third-party service contract with an outfit called "Western." My local dealer said they were an OK outfit, so I settled for that rather than buying the YES when I could have (before the bike was 12 months old). That decision hasn't cost me any money yet, but it cost me some worry and delay.

Yamaha fixed the original tick even though I was a few months past the 12-month warranty. No third-party involvement.

This time Yamaha wondered why Western wasn't paying. The dealer contacted Western, they sent a guy to look at valve guide wear and oil in the exhaust headers, and they paid. Yamaha said if I had had a deductible with Western, they would have paid my deductible for the sake of "goodwill."

Regarding the new seals: the part number is exactly the same as the old one except for one digit: there's a "00" in the middle that became "09." So look close.

WC.....has anyone positively identified that the seals changed on the 06's??
No, not to my knowledge. We've been told the new seals are in the assembly line. But we'll obviously never see anything in writing from Yamaha on this matter.

So..... like I say, we'll just have to wait to see if any ticking develops with the '06 bikes. We can all only hope they remain silent.