Ready for 15th rear tire - Interested in mileage on Pilot Road 2 and Dunlop RoadSmart

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuikSilver

Reaction score
I am preparing to install the 15th rear tire on my '03 FJR. My searches of this forum for the relative mileage people are getting on Pilot Road 2 and Dunlop RoadSmart Rear Tires have produced only a little bit of information from HCycle and HaulinAshe.

Now that these tires have been around for some time, I thought it would be good to get an update from the community.

Of particular interest is how these tires compare to the Avon AV46 and the Pilot Road Rear tires. As a reference point, I typically get 3500 - 4500 SuperSport Touring miles on these tires on the fairly abrasive roads in the Rocky Mountains and the SouthWest. All time Champ was the ME880 at 6500 miles, but it was too slippery for my style of riding to be a serious contender.

Any and all data would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

QuikSilver

I am preparing to install the 15th rear tire on my '03 FJR. My searches of this forum for the relative mileage people are getting on Pilot Road 2 and Dunlop RoadSmart Rear Tires have produced only a little bit of information from HCycle and HaulinAshe.
Now that these tires have been around for some time, I thought it would be good to get an update from the community.

Of particular interest is how these tires compare to the Avon AV46 and the Pilot Road Rear tires. As a reference point, I typically get 3500 - 4500 SuperSport Touring miles on these tires on the fairly abrasive roads in the Rocky Mountains and the SouthWest. All time Champ was the ME880 at 6500 miles, but it was too slippery for my style of riding to be a serious contender.

Regards,

QuikSilver
I know its not the same bike but I got 10K out of my last Metzeler Z6 on the back for my Hayabusa and that was medium hard riding I would say. I was happy to see my new 08 FJR already had Z6s on it. I love them.

a 70 year-old rider friend of mine who can bend a bike through curves just about as fast as anyone i've seen, and obviously has years of experience had nothing but great things to say about the roadsmart in terms of durability and stickiness just the other day at lunch. coming from that guys says a lot.

The August issue of Motorcyclist gave the Dunlop Roadsmart an excellent review. Mileage reports will take several issues.

There have ben some unanswered questions about the PR2s. Toecutter was doing some research but hasn't reported back yet.

Our resident "Tire Tester" with his secret outdoor test track, Mr. HaulinAshe himself recommends the RoadSmart as do several others.

You COULD do a search using Google:

Roadsmart site:fjrforum.com

OR.....

Pilot Road 2 site:fjrforum.com

Happy Reading!

Last edited by a moderator:
Metz Z-6 SUCKS!!!

Really, try another tire and see if you come back saying how great it is.

Metz Z-6 SUCKS!!!
Jeez, Greg.....crooked facts or just:

Feelings, who-oh-oh...feelings.....??? :blink:

Seriously, SKooterG speaketh thruth! BUT, some people realy really really really like them, and I say, "More power to them!"

Kind of reminds me of another song: It was sep-a-ration, I know......

Metz Z-6 SUCKS!!!
Why do you say it sucks? Mileage wise it has been great for me. Never had it slide out form under me? Had Bridgestones, Dunlops and they wore out faster and did not add anything. Have not tried any of the dual compound tires but I suspect they will wear out quickly too. Another note I am in South MS and it is not too curvy down here...

Regards,

QuikSilver
I put on Dunlop RoadSmarts front and rear on my 06 AE at 26350 miles, had 9/32" of rear tread depth.

Today 3000 miles later at 29355 miles, I have 6/32" rear tread depth.

85% of the wear was while doing the WORD Rally on NV highways and other secondary roads and almost no slab interstates. most speeds were between 65-125 mph.

Looks to me with the way I ride, I should get perhaps 7K out of the rear. I am no tire testing expert but I have found the RoadSmarts to handle very well at slow and fast sweepers. I have no front end wobble between 50-35 mph deceleration as I previously had on Avons. FYI, I am running Nitrogen in both tires with 42 rear/40 front. Nitrogen has been in since installation of the tires and not a single pound of pressure has changed in either tire. Hope this is helpful.

The lack of tread life comparison information between the Dunlop RoadSmart and the Michelin PR2, is strictly due to lack of time and availability. Mich PR2s are still very difficult to purchase at competitive prices. I have a front, but looking for a rear to go with it.

Time is required for more empirical data.

In the meantime, the Dunlop RoadSmart has excellent availability and been around long enough to prove it's mileage record to be superior to most, if not all, single compound tires in its handling class. (That excludes tires like the ME880).

Last edited by a moderator:
I am wearing PR2 Now... So far 4300 miles and one track day..

2000 of the 4300 was straight and the rest was at lean angle.

My twisty riding is generally agressive... I am no visible flatspot center thingy going on at all.

the PR2 is plenty sticky.... I usually run the Powers but that started getting expensive

I have no experience in the other ones...

2cents please

I feel I must add my 2 cents for the Metzlers. No trouble at all as long as PSI is maintained. I can definitely feel the front end getting loose when PSI drops a # or two below spec. Otherwise I can't say they ever left me concerned. I especially liked their overall speed rating considering my occasional triple digit runs. Also, following Jeff from Bike FX through some wet goat trails I gained a new level of confidence in their ability to hold in wet corners. Are they perfect? I don't know. Will I replace with same? Probably not. But that's only because I'm constantly in search of something better.

P.S. I've got over 7500 miles on the front and rear. Oddly, the front is nearly gone. The rear appears to have another 1.5 to 2K on it. Must be my love of the front brake.

P.S. I've got over 7500 miles on the front and rear. Oddly, the front is nearly gone. The rear appears to have another 1.5 to 2K on it. Must be my love of the front brake.
More likely the effect of a heavy bike being pushed into corners. Wearing the fronts when ridden aggresively is what they do!

I let my newly-discovered dyno-shop guy talk me into a Michelin dual-compound for the rear of my VFR after a nail hitched a ride to work with me. It's got about 2500 miles on it now, and there's very little noticeable wear. Granted, the bike's about a hundred pounds lighter than my FJR, so it might not be a great comparo. But compared to past tire life expectancies on the viffer, this is way up there. Yeah, I think you can notice the transition zone under the right circumstances, but it's pretty sticky once you're clear over on the sidewall.

Here's my two cents, the front of my 08 wore out at 5500 miles with bridgestones. They also would track the grooves in the road and especially around curves. The front was cupped and I always maintained my air pressure. I went thru 5 pairs of Metzeler MEZ4's on my o4 at 10k miles each with the front and rear wearing evenly. I've now got 1500 miles on the 08 with ME 6's and love them. They don't track the grooves in the curves whatsoever. I feel I have control of my bike again. Bridgestones suck! Now just wait and see the mileage return.