Dunlop RoadSmart Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Were those hard to get? Cost effective, in your opinion, and last, where did you get 'em?
A cursory check of the old standby, SW Moto Tires, reveals the following:

Dunlop RoadSmart 120/70ZR17 - $110.95

Dunlop RoadSmart 180/55ZR17 - $137.95

Linky ==> Southwest Moto Tires: RoadSmart

I see Warchild has done his price shopping.

Jeff, what was the price you paid in your area??
He went the SW Moto route. Discussion in this thread: Link

I made a pointed adapter that screws into my dial indicator and changed the return spring for a stiffer one. A piece of metal tubing slipped over the indicator probe allows you to press down to a specific point. The dial indicator measures the differences between how far the probe gets pushed into the surface, just like a high-$ durometer. It's just not calibrated in any known scale, but works great for comparison tests.

Like Scab said, a fingernail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Were those hard to get? Cost effective, in your opinion, and last, where did you get 'em?
A cursory check of the old standby, SW Moto Tires, reveals the following:

Dunlop RoadSmart 120/70ZR17 - $110.95

Dunlop RoadSmart 180/55ZR17 - $137.95

Linky ==> Southwest Moto Tires: RoadSmart

I see Warchild has done his price shopping.

Jeff, what was the price you paid in your area??
He went the SW Moto route. Discussion in this thread: Link
SockMonkey:

Thank you.

From the pictures, the Roadsmart looks more rounded than the Strada. I wonder how it would work with a Roadsmart up front and a ME880 on the rear for the long ride to NAFO.

I admit I am liking these tires more and more. They offer up a very neutral steering. Their dry grip is phenomenal; feels exceptionally planted and confidence-inspiring whether in high-speed sweepers or the tighter stuff.

It's been a fairly wet winter/early spring, so they have been in the wet several times. The wet grip is very, very good... not quite at the Avon Storm level, but not far behind it!

Bottom line: I like these tires quite a bit. The only remaining variable is to see how their treadlife goes.... hopefully, it will be considerably better than the previous Dunlop offering (D220's).

Bottom line: I like these tires quite a bit. The only remaining variable is to see how their treadlife goes.... hopefully, it will be considerably better than the previous Dunlop offering (D220's).
WC-

What's the turn in like compared to Azaros and Storms?

The pictures do show the front tire profile to be a little more rounded than the almost triangular front Azaro. I've really liked the way the Avons fall into turns with very little rider input necessary.

dougc

WC-

What's the turn in like compared to Azaros and Storms?

The pictures do show the front tire profile to be a little more rounded than the almost triangular front Azaro. I've really liked the way the Avons fall into turns with very little rider input necessary.
Turn-ins and transitions are fast and easy, but not quite as fast as the Avons.

I'm waiting on this report...

BTW, I noticed a several dealers today the PR's are back in stock and PR2's are nowhere to be found. In'neresting.

I'm waiting on this report...
BTW, I noticed a several dealers today the PR's are back in stock and PR2's are nowhere to be found. In'neresting.
Exactly! I'll also be waiting Jeff's and Dale's reports. If we can't get PR2s, I might try the Dunlops when my newly mounted PRs are due. Probably for NAFO.

They have to last longer than the 3500 mile Bridgestone 021s I just gave to a "stunta" friend for his bike.

Thanks for the info Jeff,

It is good to know that there is another (possible, sounds probable) good dual compound sport touring tire available.

WW

The RoadSmarts are likely what I'll be changing to just ahead of NAFO. I may go ahead and order them now to avoid availability problems ala the PR2s once the riding season really gets under way...

Hey so how did those Corsa 3s measure out??

(I know I saw your previous comment) Still curious...

Add another forum member waiting for the report on these. I'm hoping they'll deliver the mileage I'll need to run in the Butt Lite without a tire swap.

Yeah, I'll lurk on this subject too. Just returned from Texas hill country. I hauled FJR there to preserve my new Storm as we were riding a couple of days in the hill country, and then into Mexico. Easily 80% of the sipe was gone after 1100 miles in Texas Hill Country - 42 psi rear. I am past sick of this with all the "new and improved" tires.

I loaded up and returned home while all my friends rode their "low tech" mounts over the border. Yes, I could have bought another tire, but since the one dealer in the area did not want to mount a Metz 880, I decided to let it all go, and just waved bye to my buds going over the border.

Think I will take my 1978 air cooled, chain drive, points ignition, GS 1000 Suzuki next time. CC

I order a set of the Dunlops today to replace my Avons. I am going to ride up to the races at Barber on them for the first test run. $299 for the pair mounted.

Latest posts