Dunlop RoadSmart Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bumping this thread to report compilation of my posts and opinions now reside in Post #1. Will do future edits there for clarity.

Jeff,

Thanks again for a great tire report!! I wish you would try the PR2's sometime!! I really love my set soo far!!

Good job!

WW

I like the way they wore, Jeff and thanks for the update and pics!

One thing that I'm really liking about this tire is the rear profile. It rolls nicely from edge to edge, and while leaned way over, offers great grip. I think I over tweaked the front suspenders past optimum for the front tire, but I think if I back off on the compression some, that will get me better results too. I'm still having a minor issue in road feel, but maybe that's just because that the previous tires revealed too much.

I'm pretty pleased with these so far and if you got 4k, I should get at least 8k on these. I hope.

Thanks for the excellent write up, Jeff.

I've got 3 sets of RoadSmarts on order and I look forward to testing them.

Meanwhile I've got new Pilot Power 2CTs to scope out... ;)

Stef

Last edited by a moderator:
As always, thanks for the report Jeff! once I burn through the set of 021's I have on, I will it looks like I will be ordering a set of these to run on through the summer.

Great write up Jeff, thanks. I ordered a set that will be here tomorrow based on your info. By the way, found them at Competition Accessories for $259 shipped to my door. I do most of my riding here in the North Florida area and speeds are kept in check due to LEO's abound. I try hard to be "smooth" with the bike. Anyone can be fast and burn up a set of tires in no time, ah but to be smooth and lenear can produce great mileage on the rubber. I've got 10,600 on the PR's at the moment and hope to get that out of the Roadsmarts.

Just ordered a set o' Dunlops about 10 minutes ago... they aren't here yet but I'll go sit by the door and wait... I'm anxious! Thanks, Jeff, and others for the feedback, as I bought these based on your input and experiences. I paid $250.90 delivered to my bike's home of record. (SW Moto), the other option was a pair of "retread Shinkos" on e-bay, for thirty bucks less... maybe next time.

Now I just have to hit the liquor store and pick up Cdog's favorite elixer and get these things mounted! *note to self, give him his "fee" after they are mounted*

Oh, first time today!! Found out what ABS feels like... great ride up the local canyon and came smoothly up to a tight lefty and realized I hadn't bled off enough stink before I hit the curve.... I puckered and tried to remember everything I could about "tuck and roll" or was it stop, drop, and roll"! About halfway thru the turn I realized that my reactions based on how the bike was controlling my deceleration was almost instinctual, and without the machine I was on I most likely would be airborne and screaming like a little girl in flight. (I did mention that this was a canyon... right?!) I believe the weight of the bike and the mechanics of the braking system were the only reasons I pulled it off... prolly a lighter bike or nonABS would have rendered different results... now I wonder if my new Dunlops will increase my feel for the road and make things like this less scary (current Metz's are cupping on the front and flatstripped in the back so my turning ain't so confident as it was. I got lucky.

C

Robin, if you can hear the sound of my voice please warm up the tire machine!

What's in a name? Dunlop Sportmax RoadSmart I guess?
RoadSmart006.jpg

Don't know why in all the years I've dealt with Dunlop Tires that I never noticed this!

RoadSmart007.jpg
One of these things is not like the other....

DSC00041.jpg

DSC00040-1.jpg

One of these things is not like the other....
Looks like you received the special Delta Farce edition. Or could that be the Devil's Triangle Bermuda Special?

I just checked five different RoadSmarts. None of mine have triangles between the words.

Hmmmmm...? :unsure:

I just checked my front tire. The left side of the front tire had no triangle...but the right side had it. :dntknw:

LEFT SIDE:

S5001000_left.jpg

Right side:

S5001002_right.jpg

Is the triangle a TWI (Tire Wear Inidcator or wear bar location) mark?

Other than the triangles. Where are all these made? Le France, or Japan?

And MOST importantly, what do they look like after 10,000 miles when they are hitting the belts? :D

Jeff and others, I did a search and couldn't find any hits so I'll go ahead and ask. I noticed that the tread direction on the front Roadsmarts seems reversed - i.e. it channels water from the outside of the tire to the inside as it rotates forward. I thought this was weird but I just accept that Dunlop tire engineers know a lot more about it than I do. Any idea why/how this design works?

Is the triangle a TWI (Tire Wear Inidcator or wear bar location) mark?
Other than the triangles. Where are all these made? Le France, or Japan?
My front tire is made in Japan and my rear tire is made in France. I guess that explains my sudden desire to eat some pate de foie gras sushi, invade some South Pacific islands and then surrender.

And MOST importantly, what do they look like after 10,000 miles when they are hitting the belts? :D
Considering my SOP of running tires well past when they need to be replaced, I'll let you know in 9 months. :eek:

Great evaluation and write up ! I have 3,000 miles on mine now and have had pretty much the same results as you have had. The only exception is that my front tire seems to be wearing a bit faster than the rear.

Fuzzy, I don't know if you were being serious or not, but if so take note of the pic from Jeff Ashe of the "Dunlop pair" (middle of his pictures) and notice the printed lettering over the treads are opposite of each other in direction, as are the tread directions, so one of the tires is turned the "wrong" way... ie, wrong rotational direction... If you were kidding then, ok, ya got me!

As for the triangle in between the raised letters on the sidewall, could that have to do with tire direction??

I just ordered a set so that might be nice to know.

C

Fuzzy, I don't know if you were being serious or not, but if so take note of the pic from Jeff Ashe of the "Dunlop pair" (middle of his pictures) and notice the printed lettering over the treads are opposite of each other in direction, as are the tread directions, so one of the tires is turned the "wrong" way... ie, wrong rotational direction... If you were kidding then, ok, ya got me!
Nope, I wasn't kidding. The middle picture you refer to actually has both tires going the same rotational direction. There are arrows on the sidewall that show the direction the tire should rotate.