Rear Brake Problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sticky pedal can cause a "ride-the-brakes" situation. If the pedal assembly is not well-lubed the pedal can stick, not returning fully. An easy fix with some spray grease, but some insist on a full disassembly and clean.

If anybody tells you your brake lights are always on, or if you have a cruise control and it won't set, the first thing to check is a sticky pedal.

As for the deformation, that sounds like something actually got behind the pad, and the pad bent by non-uniform pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sticky pedal can cause a "ride-the-brakes" situation. If the pedal assembly is not well-lubed the pedal can stick, not returning fully. An easy fix with some spray grease, but some insist on a full disassembly and clean.
If anybody tells you your brake lights are always on, or if you have a cruise control and it won't set, the first thing to check is a sticky pedal.

As for the deformation, that sounds like something actually got behind the pad, and the pad bent by non-uniform pressure.
I don't have a cruise control and no one has told me my brake lights are always on. Although, I'm pretty much a solo rider so it's unusual to have another bike behind me.

The deformed pad was strange...especially since there was not an obvious explanation.

It's just a spooky situation to come sailing off the interstate at FJR nominal speed and find you have no rear brakes...the fabric on my seat is all bunched up now! :laughingsmiley:

I'm with wfooshee. I still think your pedal is sticking and if the technician did not lube it, it is going to happen again. Spray some oil on the brake pedal shaft and work it up and down, and even try to move it in and out. It will a little. Spray on both sides of the pivot point so it soaks into the bushing.

I'm with wfooshee. I still think your pedal is sticking and if the technician did not lube it, it is going to happen again. Spray some oil on the brake pedal shaft and work it up and down, and even try to move it in and out. It will a little. Spray on both sides of the pivot point so it soaks into the bushing.
I wouldn't use oil on any brake parts. I use white lithium grease in a spray can. Shake well. Hope you clean the rotor. It's an easy, conservative approach. My rear rotor gets sticky when I've been riding in wet conditions for awhile, and that might be the reason for the warped pad. Use automotive disc brake cleaner and an old rag. WBill

Copy that "sticky pedal."

I'm going to change the battery and radiator fluid today so I'll make sure the brake pedal is "free" and the rotor is clean.

My takeaway from all this is that I need to do more preventative maintenance on the brakes than the frequency the service manual recommends.

Finally, he said not to "ride the brakes." He has some customers that do that. I'm sure I don't but I'll now be extra cautious about what I do w/ my right foot.
The brake pedal rides a little high for my tastes and my lug sole boots. Easy to 'ride' the pedal IMO. You might try dropping it down a notch on the spindle. Remove the pinch bolt, slide pedal off then re-install one spline lower. You will see a little dot on the pedal for factory setting reference. Money back guarantee and easy to return to previous setting if not completely satisfied. :rolleyes:

You can adjust the brake pedal angle by lengthening / shortening the linkage. You don't have to go a whole notch on the shaft.

I'm somewhat doubtful that a sticky pedal will cause enough brake force, to drag the pads and overheat the fluid. The reverse pressure of the pads against the disk will shove back the pedal, even when it's sticking. It just won't ever return to the "home" position. Like many others, I've had the situation occur before and the only result was the brake light being stuck on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I can say that the only thing abt this entire episode that I know for sure is that I'm confused and concerned...especially since there was no obvious root cause to the brake problem I experienced.

I know I'm perfectly capable of screwing something up but that's usually in the garage w/ the ignition off. But, when the mechanic says "I have no idea what caused this." and "I've never seen a deformed brake pad like this." I lose trust in the bike. It will take me some time to regain that trust.

I'll just limit my riding and ride bike cautiously (timidly??) until that trust returns.