Rear Brakes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
So I recently brought my fjr in for one of the recalls and I asked if they wouldn't mind checking the rear brakes as they've been soft (maybe half the normal braking power). They tried bleeding the brakes but it made no difference and said I should make an appointment for a new master cylinder. I think they mentioned 400. minimum and they weren't even sure that would be the problem, just one of those things.

Once I was back in my garage I took a closer look. I noticed right away that the little rubber cap on the rear brake bleed(nipple thing?) was removed because it was slightly torn and my detective eyes noticed the dust was wiped off from fingers. Now you know where I'm going with this. The front (linked) brake showed no evidence of being touched. All the little black caps on the front were equally dusty. My first question is do you think it's actually possible a motorcycle dealer shop could overlook the fact the fjr has linked brakes?

I'm going to see what info I can find here about bleeding brakes. Is this something a not so mechanically inclined guy should attempt? Thanks.

They need to also bleed the lower front right caliper for the rear brakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a hard job at all, but you might want some experienced assistance the first time through, just to 'splain things.

No more difficult than bleeding brakes on your car. Begin with the front RT caliper as ahchiu pointed put, and then move to the back...some assistance the first time ^^^^ might be helpful.

Good luck.

--G

So I recently brought my fjr in for one of the recalls and I asked if they wouldn't mind checking the rear brakes as they've been soft (maybe half the normal braking power). They tried bleeding the brakes but it made no difference and said I should make an appointment for a new master cylinder. I think they mentioned 400. minimum and they weren't even sure that would be the problem, just one of those things.

Once I was back in my garage I took a closer look. I noticed right away that the little rubber cap on the rear brake bleed(nipple thing?) was removed because it was slightly torn and my detective eyes noticed the dust was wiped off from fingers. Now you know where I'm going with this. The front (linked) brake showed no evidence of being touched. All the little black caps on the front were equally dusty. My first question is do you think it's actually possible a motorcycle dealer shop could overlook the fact the fjr has linked brakes?

I'm going to see what info I can find here about bleeding brakes. Is this something a not so mechanically inclined guy should attempt? Thanks.
Not sure where Denver PA is but I am in Harrisburg. I would be happy to help you if we can work it out. We could do all them and the clutch in very little time.

Only issue I am leaving for a 30 day CO,UT,AZ,NM out west trip on the 4th of September.

It is not a hard job and with two people it is pretty easy to do and would say from start to finish on all three would be a hour or so.

Let me know if I can help.

Latest posts