Rear subframe failure poll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has your FJR (all gens) rear subframe failed during normal use?

• Total voters
I appreciate your input kitty, and to everyone else thanks also and keep it coming. As vague as the aim may be to some this poll has helped two people already and it's only been running for 4 1/2 hrs. Cheers.

I understand your point about the value of statistical analysis, but MY point is...I have avoided becoming a statistic BECAUSE of the knowledge I've gained on this forum. Got real close though.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is normal

DSCF2648.jpg

and this is 2 up travelling

DSCF1310-1-1.jpg

So far no cracks.

I also have a trailer now. I don't know why some sub frames break and some don't.

Rob

Early days just yet but it is beginning to look like failures are rare and when they do occur may tend to be caused by significant overloading all be it of differing natures. Something that does seem to be of benefit is the addition of a Givi S357 mounting to help triangulate the load and provide a stiffer platform for the case to sit on.

Per a request from a fellow rider, I am going to look into designing a hidden bolt-on stiffener frame. Anyone need a stiffy?
blush2.gif
I got the ram-bone, what's the difference between that and a stiffy? I thought they were one and the same.
biggrin.png

Per a request from a fellow rider, I am going to look into designing a hidden bolt-on stiffener frame. Anyone need a stiffy?
blush2.gif
I got the ram-bone, what's the difference between that and a stiffy? I thought they were one and the same.
biggrin.png
The Ram-Bone is a little 5" rod sticking out in front. The stiffy will be stuffed into your back end and will push up the junk in your trunk.

blush2.gif
biggrin.png
The Ram-Bone is a little 5" rod sticking out in front. The stiffy will be stuffed into your back end and will push up the junk in your trunk.
Ha ha ha ha that's a cracker

blush2.gif
Stiffening the top case mounting surface seems to be one of the benefits the Givi S357 mount brings, thus reducing the potential for flexing the cast rear sub frame component. However the Givi part also makes a better job of transferring some of the load onto the main box cross section part of the rear sub frame thus providing a double benefit. I'd be very surprised to find anyone suffering a failure of the cast sub frame when they had an S357 fitted. IMO it just doesn't look so good as the original grab handles.

blush2.gif
Stiffening the top case mounting surface seems to be one of the benefits the Givi S357 mount brings, thus reducing the potential for flexing the cast rear sub frame component. However the Givi part also makes a better job of transferring some of the load onto the main box cross section part of the rear sub frame thus providing a double benefit. I'd be very surprised to find anyone suffering a failure of the cast sub frame when they had an S357 fitted. IMO it just doesn't look so good as the original grab handles.
That's putting it nicely. The thing is just plain ugly. I like function and form, but this is why I'm interested in what Gerauld has in mind for a hidden brace. I just got a factory top box and factory mount. I would be so pissed if this breaks my sub-frame and I'm already feeling paranoid about using it. Maybe to haul balloons or styrofoam peanuts? I'd actually like to be able to put 10 pounds of stuff in there and not worry at all, like with my side-cases.

This is like asking how many miles you get out of a set of tires without specifying what bike they're on, or what kind of tire. Sorry but it is.

Apology accepted. I know it is generalising more than some here are comfortable with but it has served to give me, and maybe one or two others a clearer picture of the possible failure percentage. Some of the written contributions which have resulted have in my opinion also been useful. I at least have got something out of this poll and for that I thank all contributors.

I know there was more than one frame crack/break reported on this forum. Seems the data is not adding up here. Does not compute.

This is normal

DSCF2648.jpg

and this is 2 up travelling

DSCF1310-1-1.jpg

So far no cracks.

I also have a trailer now. I don't know why some sub frames break and some don't.

Rob
'' I don't know why some sub frames break and some don't.''
I have the same query also...!!
rolleyes.gif
My FJR looks much like the one in the picture when I go camping. So far no problems. However this thread makes me think if I put the bike on a trailer or pickup truck I'll not connect tie downs to the rear hand rails. That could put alot of stress on the subframe.

Bill

Mine broke. I think it's good to point out also that saying 'Givi' rack doesn't clearly describe the rack. I NOW have a 357, but it was a Givi rack before, but wihtout the forward support.
I had the small Givi topbox, I don't know the model, but would be completely filled with one full face helmet. I did not put excessive weight in it.

I do have a 357 rack now, but it interferes with the aux tank so until I get to my buddy's buddy's shop to modify the fuel cell mount, I can't have them both on the bike at the same time.

Geez, here's the good that just came out of this poll/thread. I was planning to do the mods in April/May. Completely not thinking about the IBR13 rider who wants to borrom my tank for the IBR. Leave it as is for now, after the IBR, then I can mess with it
smile.png

I think I'm the sole yes at this point.
About the same. I had it mounted on a metal rack that used the three base mounting point. I believe the flip flapping caused the failure. I now have the 357 Givi mount. Was it normal use, did I abuse it? Yes, mine and no I load far less weight than others have on their bikes.