Rear wheel bearing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all. Yes, the bearing and the seal were both shot. Somehow, the seal had let water in and there was a fair amount of rust and grit in there. Great improvement! I can't see the icon to insert the pictures! I'll post a few from my computer tomorrow

Mr. BR, thanks for the photo. I've never seen the wheel apart. Are the three bolts securing the wheel's dust cover hard to remove? They appear to be threadlocked according to the Service Manual.

The axle doesn't touch the bearing rollers does it? You've removed a tube or sleeve which turns against the rollers?

Is there a bearing in the drive hub too?

Any sign of wear on the flexible drive dampers? I've wondered if those ever need to be replaced.

Yamaha did exceptional work in designing these drives and rear wheels. Basically a bulletproof system.

92K and I have never even seen the inside of the bearings. So if I pulled off the black dust cover that is what I would see? The good news is I never wash my bike. So the only chance of water getting in would be riding in the rain.
ohno-smiley02.gif

Mr. BR, thanks for the photo. I've never seen the wheel apart. Are the three bolts securing the wheel's dust cover hard to remove? They appear to be threadlocked according to the Service Manual.
The axle doesn't touch the bearing rollers does it? You've removed a tube or sleeve which turns against the rollers?

Is there a bearing in the drive hub too?

Any sign of wear on the flexible drive dampers? I've wondered if those ever need to be replaced.

Yamaha did exceptional work in designing these drives and rear wheels. Basically a bulletproof system.
My three screws for the dust cover were firm but came off no problem with a good fitting JIS screwdriver.

Correct, there is an inner bearing sleeve which those needle bearing actually run on....

Yes, there is another regular ball bearing on the driven hub.

No wear on my rubber dampers.... they looked great and still fit snugly in the wheel. I don't expect to ever replace them!

Mr. BR