redwoods ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg97224

Reaction score
Hay you N. Cal guys. What is that road like that runs from just north of Fortuna, over to the coast, then back to 101 like? Thinking about taking a few days this coming week and doing some exploring. I have done most of the more popular ones, 36 from the coast to Susanville, the length of 299, 3, 96. There probably some others I need to check out.

Thanks, Greg

Hay you N. Cal guys. What is that road like that runs from just north of Fortuna, over to the coast, then back to 101 like? Thinking about taking a few days this coming week and doing some exploring. I have done most of the more popular ones, 36 from the coast to Susanville, the length of 299, 3, 96. There probably some others I need to check out.Thanks, Greg
Can't be much of a road to the coast north of Fortuna cause its on the coast. South is the road to Ferndale and on to the Lost Coast. It's real senic but pretty rough in places. If you get out to Shelter Cove have some fish & Chips.

The road from Obrian to Happy camp would be good on your way down.

Sounds like you're talking about the Lost Coast ride, like. Dude. You want the exit off 101 just north of Fortuna marked "Ferndale" (either from the north or south). When you get into town, take the main street through town (you'll be on Ocean Ave.) till you come to a handmade-looking sign, yellow letters on brown, reading "Capetown - Petrolia" with an arrow pointing left. You can find it on Google Earth (street view) if you zoom in on Ferndale and look for where "Mattole Road" comes into town. That's your road. You might think you're going up somebody's driveway for a while if not for the sign. It climbs and climbs, usually into fog, from my experience, but it will give you great views, twisty roads, quite a few bumps and some gravel spots, till you're riding along the coast. Emptiest coast road you'll ever find.

After you ride along the coast for a while you'll head back inland. Mattole Road just winds everywhere, pretty much all points of the compass. You'll finally reach Honeydew. From there, I suggest over the bridge and follow the road that takes you back to Humboldt Redwoods State Park and the Avenue of the Giants (scenic frontage road that parallels 101). Very interesting in there, too. You'll gain a lot of altitude on this ride and lose it all again. I suppose it could be 90 minutes or so from Ferndale to the state park.

There's another option at Honeydew, but it's very rough, from what I'm told, largely unpaved, that leads to Shelter Cove. You could also get there by a better road quite a few miles south of Fortuna off 101. The exit is marked Shelter Cove. But IMO, you'd enjoy the Lost Coast ride better.

Lots of us know this road. Maybe the next guy will refine my directions a little. Have fun.

p.s.

Can't be much of a road to the coast north of Fortuna cause its on the coast.
It's true. This ride takes about 20 miles just to get to the coast, covering an "as the crow flies" distance of about two miles. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I will refine it for you Mike, that road SUCKS............it is the bumpiest road i have ever been on.

The best roads around there are 299,3,36, Mad River road (highly recommend) and Van Duzen road, all these will keep you smiling. just don't rode them with Brian.

R

I will refine it for you Mike, that road SUCKS............it is the bumpiest road i have ever been on.

R
Yep, paved with pavement repairs. Worst road I have ever been on. EDIT: absolutely beautiful scenery though if it is clear

If you take lost coast, make sure you set up a chiropractor appt for when you get home. And make sure when you get home bust out the wrench and start tightening back up stuff..

If you take lost coast, make sure you set up a chiropractor appt for when you get home. And make sure when you get home bust out the wrench and start tightening back up stuff..
I'm surprised no one mentioned to put on a knobby tire for the lost coast road. The dirt switch backs are tons of fun B)

hOPE YOU HAVE "GOOD SHOCKS!!!" OK; THE ROAD FROM HONEY DEW TO SHELTER COVE WAS NEWLY PAVED; HAD ONLY 2 SPOTS OF HARD PACK DIRT; SAW 2 UPS TRUCKS!

TAKE IT SLOW & EASY; GREAT G S ROAD.

I'm surprised no one mentioned to put on a knobby tire for the lost coast road. The dirt switch backs are tons of fun B)
Nah, kick it sideways and flat track it. Back it into the corners B)

I was on those roads a week ago. Mattole (Ma-tole) road is a hoot -- on a dual sport.

There is a two track with wicked switchbacks and potholes and such. I leads to a walking trail down a cliff and on to an abandoned lighthouse that is fun. I saw an RT1150 make the trip (a DAMN good rider!). A KLR got dropped and I almost lost it -- and never noticed my tank bag fly off the bike during a whoop. Hard to find off lighthouse road, but FUN if you have the right bike.

I'd ride it on an FJR, but I'd be careful and slow on an FJR. Between patched pavement that is more patch than paved, narrow roads, gravel bits and wildlife, it is a challenge. But doable.