Retirement Calculator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there really such a thing as retirement? I thought that was a myth we were told to make us somewhat productive members of society.
Famous old U.S.S.R. saying: "We pretend to work and they pretend to pay us."
Hmm, I lived in an old U.S.S.R. for a bit over 18 years and never heard that saying. The saying that I always heard was: "As long as we have Vodka, we will find a reason to drink it." :)

Thanks for the link.

the calculator does not appear to allow for any Social Security income, or allow for any equity in a home.....

If you consider those items, things may not be as bad as the calculator makes them appear.

Remember who is providing the service...Schwab....and remember their mission.....more investors...

Do the math, and you can see they just MIGHT be motivated to present the worst case scenario.....

Now get back to work ....slave

Hmm, I lived in an old U.S.S.R. for a bit over 18 years and never heard that saying.
Well, I got it (on good authority) from Sergei -- whose family my S.O.'s church sponsored when they emigrated to the U.S. fleeing religious persecution. He was from Novosobrisk? (down by the Black Sea) and wife and mother of the 3 boys was from more like up in the 'Taiga' direction. So, I really don't have 'first-hand' info....

First names, only -- one day Sergei and I were in the back yard of S.O.'s city neighborhood home when the UPS truck drove-by. Sergei ducked behind the picnic table and I said, "what's up?" He pointed to the truck and whispered...."KGB". :ph34r:

Thanks for the link.
the calculator does not appear to allow for any Social Security income, or allow for any equity in a home.....

If you consider those items, things may not be as bad as the calculator makes them appear.

Remember who is providing the service...Schwab....and remember their mission.....more investors...

Do the math, and you can see they just MIGHT be motivated to present the worst case scenario.....

Now get back to work ....slave
Social Security Income??????????? BBBBBBBBWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! I am clearly not calculating that into any of my retirement plans. If it happens, great and b.o.n.u.s! For those of you earning Social Security Income now, good on you. Most of you earned it.

No offense to the Baby Boomers here...but, they are going to eat those $$$ up. Won't be much left except a few bones to chew on from that carcass.

I do agree with your other assessments however.

Rex

RLTW!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Depressing.

5 years ago I figured I could retire in 3 years......duh.

5 years later I figure I can retire in 5 more years......

Now my wife tells me I can't retire for 8 years......

I don't like the way this is going.......The longer I work the longer it is until I can retire..???

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I lived in an old U.S.S.R. for a bit over 18 years and never heard that saying.
Well, I got it (on good authority) from Sergei -- whose family my S.O.'s church sponsored when they emigrated to the U.S. fleeing religious persecution. He was from Novosobrisk? (down by the Black Sea) and wife and mother of the 3 boys was from more like up in the 'Taiga' direction. So, I really don't have 'first-hand' info....

First names, only -- one day Sergei and I were in the back yard of S.O.'s city neighborhood home when the UPS truck drove-by. Sergei ducked behind the picnic table and I said, "what's up?" He pointed to the truck and whispered...."KGB". :ph34r:
That sounds funny on more then one level :) I can't figure out why would he confuse UPS truck with KGB :blink: I guess we all have our own demons. How old is Sergey and when did he get here?

This all happened about 20 years ago and I haven't kept in touch with him or his family. He was 30-ish then. I have lots of stories of my brief time with them; about things like: borscht, what is good bread, clothing differences, buying groceries at a supermarket, an ATM.... and many more. It was enlightening. I'm pretty sure they felt they were in paradise.

Sergey eventually got employment -- but, they took away a portion of the money the govt. agencies were giving him. Well, he quit the job. He knew good communism when he saw it! :eek: ;)