Retirement Calculator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerk9

Reaction score
ALCON,

I posted this in another thread, but thought it would be good to throw out into the general forum. Here is a Retirement Estimator tool:

Retirement Calculator

I hope this helps in some of your planning. I know many of you lucky (and well earned) bastards are already retired and enjoying life. Good for you!

Hopefully, I will be there someday...and, can enjoy my family and motorwackle more.

Cheers,

Rex

RLTW!!

DEPRESSING! On the other hand, I don't plan on totally retiring at 65, but hopefully going to working just a few days a week. I have absolutely no intention of moving down to FL and just waiting to die, like so many people seem to do.

I love stuff like that! But I'm an accountant, whats your excuse? :lol:

That is a nice fast calculator. My numbers came in pretty close to my detailed budget. Yes I have a budget. It runs through 2027, thats the first year of my retirement.

The problem trying to budget out so far is the uncertainty of things like inflation. The government figures 2%. Colleges figure 8%. Who do you think is right here? If the government says inflation is less then they save a bundle giving out benefits and tax deductions. I think the government economist left a few things out of the basket of goods they use to measure inflation.

Ok, as a divorced female, aged 44, with a life expectancy of 85-90 I am now officially depressed

Time to patent my idea for a nutritional supplement for low income seniors..."Smewthies"

(Miss Mew smoothies)

:lol:

I have seen a few calculators but none with such a simple cut and dry meathod of an estimate.. I really like it and its now in my money favorites along with my bills.. MY first estimate dieing at 91 i would be broke so i decided to die at 90 instead..

And all this time I've been saying that I'm skimping now in order to live large later. Turns out I'm phucked on both ends.

At least my bike is paid for.

The problem trying to budget out so far is the uncertainty of things like inflation. The government figures 2%. Colleges figure 8%. Who do you think is right here? If the government says inflation is less then they save a bundle giving out benefits and tax deductions. I think the government economist left a few things out of the basket of goods they use to measure inflation.
Dude, you just made my eyes roll back into my head.

Is there really such a thing as retirement? I thought that was a myth we were told to make us somewhat productive members of society.

i think i'll invest my money the redneck way

the lottery :p

according to the calculator, i'm 42 and will run out of money by the time i'm 43

When they ask How much you have saved? Do they mean 401 and other savings accounts and real estate equity or just saving account?

Thank you

When they ask How much you have saved? Do they mean 401 and other savings accounts and real estate equity or just saving account?
Assets that you'd consider turning over to cash to live on.....probably not net worth.

Unless you're planning to sell your home to retire or do something tricky like a reverse mortgage you're going to want to include things like savings, 401K, IRA, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, you just made my eyes roll back into my head.
Well lets see if they bounce around a little too! :lol:

Another uncertainty is taxes. Of course they have to be going up because they are at historic lows now and we have some debt we have to bail the country out of.

This quick planner just says how much do you need. Figure a little more for taxes. Of course if your not like me and make budgets out to retirement you could use a simple rule of thumb and say 70 percent of your current income. This 70 percent amount should be close to the amount you will need to keep your current standard of living.

The cops around here usually end up with more money in thier pocket at retirement if they can stick it out til their late 50's. That's tax free here in Taxachusetts.

Last edited by a moderator:
My retirement plan is to open a chain of Bordellos across Nevada, then sell them as a franchise. Then in the contracts I will be the quality control officer testing the product.

Just have to run it past the wife. Oh wait I just bought her another gun, NEVER MIND.

Bob