Ride On Tire Sealant For Flat Tire Fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyducks

Reaction score
Was browsing the net searching for what to do during a flat on a motorcycle. Luckily I have not experienced one yet, but the thought of getting a front flat at 80 mph on the highway scares me a bit. There was a topic on the net that suggested using a fairly expensive Ride On Sealant that apparently will stop a flat from a puncture up to a certain length, has anyone tried this or used competing products with any luck?

https://www.ride-onshop.com/Motorcycles-Rid...ycles_Case.html

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Was browsing the net searching for what to do during a flat on a motorcycle. Luckily I have not experienced one yet, but the thought of getting a front flat at 80 mph on the highway scares me a bit. There was a topic on the net that suggested using a fairly expensive Ride On Sealant that apparently will stop a flat from a puncture up to a certain length, has anyone tried this or used competing products with any luck?
https://www.ride-onshop.com/Motorcycles-Rid...ycles_Case.html

Thanks
Search is your friend.

clicky one

clicky two

clicky three

I've had a front tire go flat at about 50 miles per hour. It went flat in an instant and it wasn't much of an issue. I was in a straight section and just let off the gas, shifted my weight to the rear, and stayed off the brakes while I worked my way to the shoulder. It would be ugly to have one go flat in a curve. Never had that happen yet. My answer to that is luck and ATGATT.

I've heard that many of the fluid type sealants are bad for aluminum wheels. It seems like all of that stuff sloshing around in the tire would cause balance issues and be a real pain in the ass when changing a tire.

For flats I carry a slime compressor and those strings. If I haven't had a flat in a while I like to drive a nail in an old tire before I change it. I then get to practice using my roadside patching skills in my garage.

I just run good tires, PR2's, put a new one on every 6 months or so, keep them inflated to 39 lbs +-1 lbs, keep a close watch on them for any problems like cracks or nails.

from my cruiser days and now ST, I won't leave home without it. Worked great on my Goldwing with 7 punctures in the 12 months after I returned from running away from a beotch named Katrina.

from what I have researched and mentioned in all of the forums I peruse, it's the only thing

it's is water soluable, non corrosive, will balance a slightly out of balance wheel, and seals punctures up to 3/16"

it still allows a plug to better repair a tire after the fact

all service folks have told me Slime is some bad stuff - corrosive, lumpy, and some either will not touch a tire with it in there, or charge a premium to clean up a rim full of that mess

nobody changing a tire for me has ever complained about Ride On in there either before or after the fact

There's been a bottle in all my Feej tires since I've owned it and it has 112k miles.

It used to be quite a bit cheaper than it is today, but what isn't...I buy 2 bottles at a time off ebay when I purchase new tires.

I've been using it for a year or so now, the stuff works great. Never had an issue with rim damage or corrosion. Ride-On works so well at balancing a tire I no longer mess with weights when mounting a new tire.

I always mount my own tires and the easiest way is to take a bottle of ride-on and pour it in the tire before you ever mount the tire on the wheel, roll it around to spread it out, then put the tire on the wheel. Trying to pour that stuff in through the air valve is a big hassle.