Rider Magazine "5 Bike Sport Touring Shootout"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All my bikes are fast and cool, all your stuff is ugly and slow blah blah blah.

Lets face it, moto mags are a form of "entertainment" with lots of useful information. And that's fine. If you believe all that is written in the various moto mags you would have to buy a new bike every six months. But that's just another HO isn't it. Ooops.

". . . If you believe all that is written . . ."
. . . then you probably voted, um, never mind. Avoiding political crap here.
rolleyes.gif

There really is a point. They're trying to sell magazines, remember.

I usually hear someone use the term "character" to describe a fault or irritant with a particular thing; Old furniture with lots of wear and tear is often described as having character. I wouldn't mind a little "character" in my bike if all I ever did was ride it around home never went anywhere with it. I'll take my "uninspired" FJR across the nation without really worrying about anything other than "did I remember to pack a toothbrush?" And since I haven't had the pleasure of having other folks hand me the keys to the latest greatest thing on two wheels and let me rip around to my heart's content without spending a dime of my own money, I will continue in my blissful ignorance, believing I have the greatest bike sitting in my garage waiting for me to go out and ride the hell out of it!
Well said!
+1

I am still amazed they call the k16 a sport tourer, that thing is a monster.I guess I am still of the euro approach for sport tourers and them being smaller bikes. I personally think the FJR is on the fringe of the large size for what I'd consider a sport tourer.

All of that said, the FJR is a reliable bike, fast and sporty. But it does lack character, in my opinion.
I chuckle everytime I come across a sport-tourer comparison that includes the K1600. The K16 reminds me of the oversize kid in gym class (who was also held back a couple years), always decimated all the activities. That thing is so huge it's in a league of it's own. Don't get me wrong, I think BMW has done a great job with it and can't recall reading a negative review. Just way too much bike for me, both lb and $$$.
greedy.gif

I usually hear someone use the term "character" to describe a fault or irritant with a particular thing; Old furniture with lots of wear and tear is often described as having character. I wouldn't mind a little "character" in my bike if all I ever did was ride it around home never went anywhere with it. I'll take my "uninspired" FJR across the nation without really worrying about anything other than "did I remember to pack a toothbrush?" And since I haven't had the pleasure of having other folks hand me the keys to the latest greatest thing on two wheels and let me rip around to my heart's content without spending a dime of my own money, I will continue in my blissful ignorance, believing I have the greatest bike sitting in my garage waiting for me to go out and ride the hell out of it!
As my father in law says when it comes to old houses, you frequently have to choose between charm or plumbing.

I am still amazed they call the k16 a sport tourer, that thing is a monster.I guess I am still of the euro approach for sport tourers and them being smaller bikes. I personally think the FJR is on the fringe of the large size for what I'd consider a sport tourer.

All of that said, the FJR is a reliable bike, fast and sporty. But it does lack character, in my opinion.
I chuckle everytime I come across a sport-tourer comparison that includes the K1600. The K16 reminds me of the oversize kid in gym class (who was also held back a couple years), always decimated all the activities. That thing is so huge it's in a league of it's own. Don't get me wrong, I think BMW has done a great job with it and can't recall reading a negative review. Just way too much bike for me, both lb and $$$.
greedy.gif
The GTL is certainly "pigish" and might be better compared to a gold wing or even an ultra glide. But the GT belongs in this comparison IMO. Regardless, I think the OP makes a great point. Sport touring has got to take me to the road less traveled, and bring me home when I'm done.

Feels like a large sport bike.
they nailed my niche.
ok.gif
Got that right ! I held off going to a FJR when it first appeared because I thought it was to big..never mind these newfangled hippos..If you want character chrome the wheels and throw on a set of Two Brothers.

Motorcycle magazine reviews of any bike are like "Reality Television". Both are entertaining to a certain degree, contain a few 'real' facts, and may stir the imagination and incite action.

But who, in their right mind, would accept someone else's "reality" over their own? It's like watching [Faux, MSNBC, etc.] News and believing that the world is really the way they describe it!

Ride what YOU like, like what YOU ride.

It seems so simple....

Last edited by a moderator:
BUT it's not so simple. I wanna do what all the kool kids are doing!! AND if I'm with the kool kids and you're not with me, you cannot possibly be kool. See?? Simple. Haha.

Ordinarily I like Rider Magazine, and I still do for that matter. But this review was so obviously subjective in nature, using such sloppy and lazy descriptive terminology, that it simply lacks a great deal of credibility.
Yes, I like Rider Magazine too, and did read the article. My thoughts are they need to stick to their usual articles describing scenic routes, and fun places to ride. They have never impressed me when they try to evaluate particular motorcycles!

Rode Saturday for the first time in 2013, like all of you I did not find my FJR to be "bland", lacking "character" or "uninspiring".

In fact I'm guessing I had a big grin during the entire ride. The article is good for entertainment just don't put much stock in others' opinions!

At the end of a 700 miles day how "exciting" do you need your ST bike to be?

Seems like they always pick the winner by what will piss off the least amount of people.

In vehicle review language, "character" usually means something that is a bit awkward to operate or breaks easily.

The opposite is "appliance like" which means it just hums along with no special needs.

In my opinion, Yamaha supplied the FJR. It's up to the operator to supply the character.

greedy.gif
GT is bigger but not by that much, the front nose piece (cowling) may be the big factor in this. Sad part of it is.. it plays lighter than the FJR. The downfall clearly is the big huge price tag.

This topic seems to be a monthly thing here, different publications strutting their evaluations and up comes this same comparison. TBH, we kinda have worn it out here
wink.png

In vehicle review language, "character" usually means something that is a bit awkward to operate or breaks easily.The opposite is "appliance like" which means it just hums along with no special needs.

In my opinion, Yamaha supplied the FJR. It's up to the operator to supply the character.
While the FJR may lack Character, there is no shortage of operator supplied characters around here!
smile.png

I also noticed that the FJR engine was referred to as "high revving" as though it is a negative aspect. Yet, the lower revving R1200RT is turning more RPMs at 60 mph than the FJR. I really did not enjoy this article very much, I found it more "bland" than their assessment of the FJR.
I have nothing bad to say about the K1600GT. I don't own one and have never been on one. I have ridden the R1200RT and I liked it. I did not like it more than I do the Gen2 FJR or the Honda ST1300 for that matter. I would think that the Gen3 FJR would decisively crush the R1200RT. I am amazed at how shocked the motojournalists seem to be that a 1600 has more power than a 1300. Wow, who knew?

Having ridden a K1600GTL, an R1200RT, and a Concourse, I can tell you that this cowboy likes the horse he chose! My '03 FJR fits me better than any of them and although I miss my Bandit I can tell you that the FJR is the best bike I've ever been on... That and I'm VERY happy I decided to go the used route and avoid high payments!
How did the handling of the FJR and the r1200rt compare? (Sorry to dig up the old post. But I just found it today.)

It just doesn't make sense to compare bikes that have a $5K (RT) to $10K (K1600) difference in price.

If 2 out of 4 motojournalists choose the FJR as the bike they would buy, does it come in last in the real world?

I'm really just a rookie at the distance ider thing, but my FJR has been fabulous. I just finished a trip from Las Vegas to Southern Alberta, 1200 mi all in one shot and no problems. I could carve w/ the best of them and still go 90 mph w/out a problem. I came back 5 days later doing the same thing. No problem, great mileage and a great ride. I think that actions speak louder than words. If the FJR is so uninspiring, how come there are so many that finish in the top 10 of the IBR?

Just sayin.