riding at high RPM's (6000-8000)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel78362

Reaction score
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to All

I've had my 2008 GenII for almost 2 years now. Only has 11,000 on the clock, most of which I've put on in the last few months. I have been changing the oil about every 2000 with ful syn 20-50. On my last few rides I find myself running in the 6-8000 RPM's (2nd and 3rd mostly) for extended periods. I do like the way the bike runs in that power range.

Aside from the obvious.....blowing it up....and "dont do that".... any thoughts on additives or anything else that might increase engine life and or performance.

Ho, Ho, Ho.............Merry Christmas

Don't ya just Love the Holidays,

To All, Be Good, Be Safe

Daniel

1. Stop changing your oil twice as often as recommended.

2. Ride the bike with whatever oil makes you happy and stop buying into snake-oil addative marketing.

3. Enjoy your bike with real life maintenance intervals and stop stressing so much. 6-8k won't hurt it. It has a rev-limiter around 10k. It's idiot proof.

As long as you, warm up the oil before your rpm jaunts, have a ball; agreeing with all the previous advise too.

• Little advantage in more frequent oil changes. If you are changing at that interval, don't spend your money on synthetic.

Hi RPM = lots of fun
Also greater fuel consumption
Also greater engine wear. Engine isn't going to blow up but won't last as long
Cruising at steady speeds at high RPM is just making more noise and burning more gas. Why blast down the slab at 70 in 3rd or 4th?
As Zilla said, don't buy into the additive hype

For all that knock riding at high RPM you should know in addition to accelerated engine wear it has a practical side. I use the rev limiter as a speed control to keep from getting a speeding ticket. If the speed limit is around 50, I just leave the transmission in 1st gear—simple. As my speed gets close to 50 mph the rev limiter kicks in at around 9,500 RPM preventing the bike from going over the posted speed limit.

Nothing like riding down the road with the throttle pined to max and feeling the engine cutting in and out. It also seems to impress young girls as well—an added bonus. This type of riding does require more frequent oil changes—I change mine every 600 miles—just like the manual says.

ngbbs4b4fda5495326.jpg

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to All
I've had my 2008 GenII for almost 2 years now. Only has 11,000 on the clock, most of which I've put on in the last few months. I have been changing the oil about every 2000 with ful syn 20-50. On my last few rides I find myself running in the 6-8000 RPM's (2nd and 3rd mostly) for extended periods. I do like the way the bike runs in that power range.

Aside from the obvious.....blowing it up....and "dont do that".... any thoughts on additives or anything else that might increase engine life and or performance.

Ho, Ho, Ho.............Merry Christmas

Don't ya just Love the Holidays,

To All, Be Good, Be Safe

Daniel
Well dang I must have 0 compression by now. over 60K on the clock and well above 8K on a daily basis. It ain't blowed up yet.

Ride more and have fun. Stop worrying.

Dave

What's the purpose of this thread?

You ride less than the redline and ???

If Yamaha was concerned about 6000 rpm, they would have put the redline at 6000 rpm.

Geez.

So, my 160,000+ miles of changing roughly every 5000 (3 times after 12,000) miles with Rotella from WallyWorld and doing 20 hours at a time at 7000-8000 RPM is going to shorten my engine life? Whoa is me.

Dude, ride more, stress less, don't worry unless you're running the actual redline, change oil less often, and don't catch affluenza.

...and don't catch affluenza.
I'm afraid it's too late for most of us there, Matt.

Affluenza: "a painful, contagious, socially transmitted condition of overload, debt, anxiety and waste] resulting from the dogged pursuit of more."

That's why I strive to be as anti-social as possible.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why I strive to be as anti-social as possible.
wink.png
That's really working for you Fred. Hell, for the longest time, I thought you had a really bad case of assholeluenza. I'm still not sure though...Doing more reasearch.

Oh...And don't ride your bike too gently either. I heard that's bad for carbon build-up.

I'd encourage you to be more antisocial too 'zilla, but I see that you are already down with the program.
wink.png

Oh...And don't ride your bike too gently either. I heard that's bad for carbon build-up.
Oh crap. We can't ride it too gently or it will carbon up... can't rev it too much or it will wear out from the inside... I guess we'd all be better just keeping them in our garages, changing the oil and lookin' at them so they'll last a good long time.

I guess we'd all be better just keeping them in our garages, changing the oil and lookin' at them so they'll last a good long time.
OK, mine is safe. Winter, you know.
rolleyes.gif
Well, except for the oil changing part. That will wait until spring.

Good thing this thread didn't happen on a Friday. People might have lambasted the OP with sarcasm and other nasty comments.

I guess we'd all be better just keeping them in our garages, changing the oil and lookin' at them so they'll last a good long time.
OK, mine is safe. Winter, you know.
rolleyes.gif
Well, except for the oil changing part. That will wait until spring.
I've been advised to change my oil/filter in the Fall when I put the bike away for winter, along with the other Winter storage prep. I start in the Spring with that oil and filter! I am able to bring the bike right into my basement as well so it is away from freezing cold and moisture. Just what I do?