riding at high RPM's (6000-8000)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not long after I got my bike I was 10 miles or so into my ride home on the interstate and noticed it was a bit smother and more responsive than usual.

I was in 4th gear
fuck.gif

Man... high RPM riding, hitting the rev limiter,( NEVER been there done that) all that sounds like reckless and illegal riding to me. Next thing you advacate is braking speed limits and hooligan behaiver on curvey and little traveled roads
nono.gif
bleh.gif
lol.gif
Changing oil every 2K, no matter how you ride is excessive IMO.
ohno-smiley02.gif
Petey,

All of this hooligan behavior must be shocking to hear about from your FJRForum friends! I know you would never ride with anyone that acted like that!

rolleyes.gif
Wheatie, yes it is shocking...
ohno-smiley02.gif
but you know the old saying: always ride your own ride/pace....
hypocritesmiley.png
fuck.gif

Not long after I got my bike I was 10 miles or so into my ride home on the interstate and noticed it was a bit smother and more responsive than usual.
I was in 4th gear
fuck.gif
Yes I too catch my selfe in 4th (when I should have shifted to 5th) a little longer than necassary, more responsive yes, smoother, can't say I agree...
no2.gif

Hey All and Merry Christmas,

1st: Not a Troll. I work nights, do most of my forum viewing while I'm at work and this is my first chance to respond. To which I must admit: I like the direction this thread has taken and yes, I should have posted this on a Friday.

2nd: If I could find a way to get my bike to run quiet and keep horse power I would........Don't need a loud bike to get noticed.....I'm handsome, damn handsome......I always get noticed
scout_en.gif

3rd: Have only found the rev limiter once.

4th: Ok, maybe I change my oil too much. As for the drain plug, I have developed a simple solution to the "stripped threads" issue........Don't over tighten....imagine that.

Now a quick back story on my original post:

I recently discovered some back county roads with curves, a rare find here in the South Texas Coastal Plains. The curves are posted at 30-40mph and they come about every 3/4 mile. The area is all flat land with few visual obstructions. You can see on coming traffic way ahead get some pace going and not "out run" braking distance. There are 2 sections, 1 about 10 miles long and the other about 16 miles long, It's through these sections that I run at constant high RPM's. I feel more control at higher RPM's under those conditions, real or otherwise. I can't explain why but that pace just feels good, reeal good.
shout.gif

As for running down the highway at high RPM's, well that's just plain silly.

To All:

Merry Christmas

Be Good, Be Safe

Daniel

When I run the Dragon and similar roads, I spend a lot of time at 60mph in second gear. Never hurt nuttin; except maybe a few tires.

When I run the Dragon and similar roads, I spend a lot of time at 60mph in second gear. Never hurt nuttin; except maybe a few tires.
My ride today was 10 times longer than the dragon with 5 times as many curves just not so tight. Spent a lot of time at 70 in 3rd and 90 in 4th. A fine day it was....

The OP was talking about riding at high RPM (in 4th) on the interstate, not riding in the twisties...
hmmsmiley02.gif

No...Read his last post. He says he found some curvy roads and had been riding them at high RPM. that makes sense. Doing that on a long straight or the freeway does not.

No...Read his last post. He says he found some curvy roads and had been riding them at high RPM. that makes sense. Doing that on a long straight or the freeway does not.
Yes Zilla you're correct, my bad
blushing.gif
....I was referring to Chuck35's post...

Yes Zilla you're correct, my bad :blushing: ....I was referring to Chuck35's post...
Oooooh...I see what you're saying. I saw that too, but it didn't register. Haha...

See there? The man had a very good reason for asking his questions. I find winter makes us all a little snappy and bitter.

On the positive side, floating on top of our Sea of Sarcasm was the information the OP was seeking all along. He got his answers and we all got some entertainment. I notice this thread has gotten plenty of responses and views so it was not as foolish as some of you thought.

Besides, according to Jestal, a full run to top RPM and back is good for unseating stuck rings and/or not getting stuck rings.

I run a local hooligan road in 2nd geat 1x/week in second gear just for that reason.

Most of us lug the crap outta this motor with resultant problems then wonder why.

Duh.

:fuck:

Hugs n' Kisses

I put about 60K miles on my first FJR without using top gear much: ran it at high revs because commuting I wanted to have power handy. I'm pretty convinced that's what blew up my tranny at 60K (and I'm also convinced that all that commuting at high revs and stress also contributed to my heart attack). Now I shift between 3 and 4K, and my bike and I are less stressed. Just my $.05 worth (inflation acting on $.02). JB .

Last edited by a moderator:
I smell a lot of opinions around here, opinions being like... well, you know.
wink.png

The only bit of advice that I see being offered that is unquestionably true is that changing full synthetic oil that often is a waste of your money. But hell, if it makes you feel good, it's your money... do what you want with it. And other than that, just go out and ride the freaking bike how ever you want to. I don't think there is a right way or wrong way as long as it's getting out of the garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I smell a lot of opinions around here, opinions being like... well, you know.
wink.png

The only bit of advice that I see being offered that is unquestionably true is that changing full synthetic oil that often is a waste of your money. But hell, if it makes you feel good, it's your money... do what you want with it. And other than that, just go out and ride the freaking bike how ever you want to. I don't think there is a right way or wrong way as long as it's getting out of the garage.
obeisance.jpg

See there? The man had a very good reason for asking his questions. I find winter makes us all a little snappy and bitter.
On the positive side, floating on top of our Sea of Sarcasm was the information the OP was seeking all along. He got his answers and we all got some entertainment. I notice this thread has gotten plenty of responses and views so it was not as foolish as some of you thought.
Plenty of views,responses and opinions yes, the other things you talked about? I didn't think or see any of that at all.
coolsmiley02.gif
C'mon Redfish it's winter for most of us.
unsure.png

Besides, according to Jestal, a full run to top RPM and back is good for unseating stuck rings and/or not getting stuck rings.I run a local hooligan road in 2nd geat 1x/week in second gear just for that reason.

Most of us lug the crap outta this motor with resultant problems then wonder why.

Duh.

fuck.gif

Hugs n' Kisses
amen bro....redline in first and second at least once/week...plus lock em in the dirt to flush out the ABS pump

I beat the !!##** out of my FJ1200 for 100K...the guy who bought it pulled the barrels for a big bore kit and the cross hatch was still visible, no carbon, no oil consumption...and air cooled , no less..

Man... high RPM riding, hitting the rev limiter,( NEVER been there done that) all that sounds like reckless and illegal riding to me. Next thing you advacate is breaking speed limits and hooligan behaiver on curvey and little traveled roads
nono.gif
bleh.gif
lol.gif
ohno-smiley02.gif

Man... high RPM riding, hitting the rev limiter,( NEVER been there done that) all that sounds like reckless and illegal riding to me. Next thing you advacate is braking speed limits and hooligan behaiver on curvey and little traveled roads
nono.gif
bleh.gif
lol.gif
ohno-smiley02.gif
Petey,

All of this hooligan behavior must be shocking to hear about from your FJRForum friends! I know you would never ride with anyone that acted like that!

rolleyes.gif
I have strayed too far from the path traveled by my hooligan friends.

6-8000 RPM's in 3rd gear ONLY in the twistys. Hell yeah.