Riding Has Changed.....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheeeeettttt guys...my dad just turned 64 in May and his stoppies just keep getting better. Ain't know slowin' down for the wicked!

You aren't immortal. That is why you need to push everyday like it is the last.

:drag:

That last statement would go perfect with a nice big cigarette. It was really fun to read all the responses. I wonder if my deal might be appreciation for what is now in my life. and therefore, I am adjusting to the potential consequences of risk.

Naw, maybe my gut is just getting in the way of the tachometer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron...I dont think so. I have found that most in this group are in the over 40 to 50 age group and ride fairly easily. "Joe Rocket" is not a term I would use for the FJR owners group.

:rolleyes:

Ron...I dont think so. I have found that most in this group are in the over 40 to 50 age group and ride fairly easily. "Joe Rocket" is not a term I would use for the FJR owners group.
You've never ridden with Ojai Roy.

A recent observation was that the drugs we carry through Canadian customs on our way to and from the states (now versus 30 odd years ago) all start with the letter "V" and are legal. B)

Definitely a sign of the times.

I'll add my two cents here.

I also find myself prognosticating more, visualizing possible problems more, and paying more attention to cagers head movement, waving hands, car weave or speedup/slowdown. Every vehicle in front of me gets 'scanned' every two seconds or so, and the ones behind every three seconds. I constantly try to visualize 'what is the worst thing this a__hat could do?'

Sometimes that makes me slower to allow the lemming pack to flow by and sometimes I exercise the right hand to get away from them all. Depends on my threat evaluation at the time. I never was a speedster in the twisties, but with the FJR I'm more comfortable at speeds that used to scare me with the Royal Star Boulevard.

As a returning rider (72-77, then restarted in 2000) I find I'm not as impulsive as I used to be, but much more determined to stay away from the crazy cell-phone soccer-mom bling-mobile I-own-this-road-don't-you-know cager lemming mob.

I just love this bike!

Dunno RonBB... I feel like I don't fit in, except with most of you guys. We're definitley a minority. I mean, around here it's either sport bikes or cruisers, and almost no one rides daily. It's normally a week-end only thing... the cruisers riding from bar to bar praising each others chromed lead-sleds, or the sport bikes trying to "out-crazy" each other on the roads. There are exceptions, I know. I guess as I get older I care less and less what others think... and feel somewhat cynical toward the lemmings.
Almost everyone in the Huntsville sportbike club thought I was CRAZY for getting the FJR. How could I give up sportbikes for a touring machine? I mean, to give up 180mph top speed for 150mph. They thought I had lost it for sure! But, for me, I got tired of watching egos bloat Sunday morning and then scraping up the wrecks in the afternoon. Riding at 3x the legal limit for what? I felt as though they were the ones that were crazy!

I don't fit in with the cruisers either. As you mentioned, most around here are blowing their savings to out-chrome the Jones. I have zero interest in winning the popularity contest for parts that don't make the bike go. I just don't understand the philosphy of "no, I can't ride because I spent all my money on this chrome cup holder with LEDs and don't have any cash left to replace my flat rear tire". How about getting a bike for the purpose of riding the damn thing! Check the cruiser crowd off my list.

I too have found that I don't ride nearly as aggressive on the FJR as I did the YZF. But, I learned that going just a notch slower yet being much smoother is way more fun then slamming and jamming all the time. So, I don't go as fast. Big freakin' deal, I'm still putting more miles on then the cruiser crowd and I'm not wrecking! How does it get better then that?

As always, ride your ride the way you want to ride it. If that means taking the pace down a notch, then so be it. F@$k the lemmings. The goal is to have fun. Do it your way without the crowd and I bet you find you'll have a real hoot! Of course, you wouldn't have bought an FJR without already knowing this. So, sorry for preaching to the choir.

I must agree with Rad.... only do 2 x posted corner speed and have been fine up till now. I too have had those days when I am very aware of how fast 70 mph is. A careful attitude sticks with me for a few days. I just let it happen. Next time I mount up its back to aggressive riding. After 37 years of riding and 28 bikes I ride as fast as ever on the FJR. I still feel the thrill of speed.... 150 mph on this bike is a blast. Im also at the big 50 mark. I think each rider should ride at the speed at which they are comfortable. I "NEVER" ride reckless. Reckless and speed are not the same.

Ron...I dont think so.  I have found that most in this group are in the over 40 to 50 age group and ride fairly easily.  "Joe Rocket" is not a term I would use for the FJR owners group. 
You've never ridden with Ojai Roy.
Ojai Roy!!! Yep, I've tried to keep up with him before..... VROOOOOOOOOM!!

Where did he go anyway? Just disapeared.. Hope all is well with him!

He's 'round. We still ride. Someone pissed him off over at EZB and he gave up on the boards. Can't say I blame him... We ride next week. Shall I pass along your regards?

Shall I pass along your regards?
Pass along ours, please. We'll be riding up through your neck of the woods Sunday on our way back from San Diego. Probably stop somewhere in Ventura for breakfast (Mimi's) before we blast on up through Pismo and home in time to bang our heads again, Disturbed style, Sunday night. :punk:

There are many Old Riders

There are many Bold Riders

There aren't many Old Bold Riders

After the 16th Anniversary of my 39th Birthday, my riding hasn't changed alot. I ride within my abilities. I try to see the apex so my entry speed is Ok. I just got back from Mad Mikes Peak to Peak ride over Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Ranier, and Mt. Baker. I had a throttle twistin blast while staying safe. TJ

Last edited by a moderator: