Riding Has Changed.....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got cocky though and took a corner at 70, around a 30mph corner
Rads Rule #1. Never approach turn at more than double posted. Has stood well the test of time. ;)

What a depressing bunch of old farts you all are!! :bleh:

There now.. was that a smart ass enough answer for ya'll ! :D

Smart boy Radman, thats been my rule too. Here's a bit more to the story. When I woke up the Policeman was standing over me and asked me what happened. I said I don't know. I know I was going 45-50( he didn't need to know I was going 70). He said do you know what the speed limit was around that curve. I said 40. I thought it was a 40 mph curve. I said nooooo thats a 30mph curve. I had misread the sign. Anyway your rule is a good one,and I'm the first to admit it was nobody's fault but my own. As they were putting me in the ambulance I got a breif look at the FJR 150 ft away and saw the front end completely torn off the bike. I felt blessed to be alive. It wasn't my time.

Sorry to get side tracked, I feel I am in the same mental state as bigboi, He has arrived there much easier than I have.

Glenn

Well, much like Glenn, I started riding late, in '98. Advanced up quickly to the FJR. This is the most bike I've ever ridden, too. I realized awhile ago that I like my skin intact, my bones whole and my brain unscrambled (insert wise-ass comments here). I know what my limits are, mostly thanks to the old VFR and think, at this point, that riding at 70 or 80% of my ability is a lot more fun than riding at 100%. Too damn much work and I really don't wanna pull out the 'ol Blue Shield card...

I was forced into retirement by my wife. She is just now beginning ot open up to the idea of me riding again.
See Glenn? I told you that pouting would work! :D ;)

everyone has made some good points . we are alot wiser then we were at 20 me at 44 i just dont need that 40 car whellie or that long holeshot . but i do like to smoke the tire a bit .

Good one TWN!

Got a chuckle at your avatar. Baron von Posthofen! BWAAAAAAaaAAA!!

You are right TWN, plenty of pouting. Although I must say I 've been subtle. For instance, when a bike goes by I'll just stare a bit longer at it. Or, point out new bikes coming out in the mags, without ever saying I'd like one. My 2 daughters are the ones that will freak out if I get another bike. But the wife has said I hate seeing you mope around like this go ahead and get a bike, but promise me you'll be careful. Oh and no riding in AR. ( No dear I'm going to Missouri, nor Arkansas), yeah right.

Glenn

In my humble opinion, the greatest eraser of common sense is mob mentality. Trying to keep up with the crowd will get you in trouble eventually. There's always someone better than you, or someone that knows the road better than you, or maybe just someone luckier than you. It's usually someone that's also pushing his limit, too, that leads you into exceeding your capability/luck.

Nobody wants to be the weak link in a group.

I used to belong to the Retreads and after a short while, got tired of the gas station, potty stop, ice cream stop, lunch stop routine. Being close to Canada (Detroit area) I tried tagging along with a group of young Canucks. That scared me sober seeing those squids fly around country roads.

I may ride with others occasionally but only in touring mode.

Yes, I'm slowing down. :)

dobias

In my humble opinion, the greatest eraser of common sense is mob mentality. Trying to keep up with the crowd will get you in trouble eventually.
Amen to that brother!

Long time ago when I was doing the snake eating, jumping out of airplane thing for the Army and old Master Sargent told me a golden piece of advice. There is a fine line between hardcore and stupid. Make sure you don't cross it.

That advice served me well back then, and it serves me well now. I might not be the first one to get somewhere, but when I get there both the bike and I will be in one piece.

If I want speed, I go to the track. But I've even have outgrown that. I agree with most of you boys (At 58, I can call you all boys - all but Just Plain Dave who is my senior, so I can't call him boy. He's Sir!). As has been said, "It's the journey, not the destination."

I warn people I ride with that I want to see the sights and sniff the air. Blast ahead all you want, but you will then have to wait for me.

I enjoy the feeling of being on the bike. I like to sense the temperature changes as I go up and down the mountains. Often, I stop to take photos, not so much for the image keepsake, but for the excuse to stop, look around and appreciate where I am at the moment.

I've let a lot of life pass me by as I rushed around to get here or there, both on the road and in life. Now, I prefer to simply appreciate where I am. I am having more fun than I have in my entire life by stopping to experience it.

(I will admit to the occasional adrenalin rush, but that only comes on the open plains of Wyoming, when I can see an open road to the curvature of the earth.)

Ron

You are right TWN, plenty of pouting. Although I must say I 've been subtle. For instance, when a bike goes by I'll just stare a bit longer at it. Or, point out new bikes coming out in the mags, without ever saying I'd like one.  My 2 daughters are the ones that will freak out if I get another bike.  But the wife has said I hate seeing you mope around like this go ahead and get a bike, but promise me you'll be careful. Oh and no riding in AR. ( No dear I'm going to Missouri, nor Arkansas), yeah right.
Glenn
Well, if you do decide to get another streeter, just keep a picture of the family up on the dash... That'll slow yer pace a bit... :good:

In my humble opinion, the greatest eraser of common sense is mob mentality.
That is a true statement, unless the mob is slower than you. Then it tends to hold you back. I mostly ride with SO on the bike and no group. We like the freedom of choice to go and stop as we please. I do sometimes organize a group ride with some friends, and in most cases only one person goes consistently. She rides a SV650 and although the bike is capable, she is not. It means a nice leisurely ride with me pulling her along. Not a bad way to go sometimes.

On the street anymore, I'm starting to disregard the curve signs completely. In my neck of the woods, they are wildly inconsistant at best. Imagine the drunk hillbillies putting them up in the Ozarks, (speaking lovingly of my neighbors here) where I ride... perhaps mostly so they have something to use for target practice. :lol:

I'm becoming more and more determined to ride according to the look of the curve, rather than reading the sign and doing the math. If I look down, I find I'm usually double or better in the curve, but that's only because I can see through it.

A majority of the curves I get to ride on could stand MUCH, MUCH more speed than the sightlines would allow. (except on the racetrack, ahhhh)

Glenn, (I was in front, about a minute ahead) that curve that had your number was very sharp for how it was marked, and if you were approaching it from a wide line from the curve before... it became what bit you. And remember, just about an hour before, we were going through curves marked '30' on PMR, at better than triple the markings.

:)

On the street anymore, I'm starting to disregard the curve signs completely.  In my neck of the woods, they are wildly inconsistant at best.  Imagine the drunk hillbillies putting them up in the Ozarks, (speaking lovingly of my neighbors here) where I ride... perhaps mostly so they have something to use for target practice.  :lol:
Yeah whats up with that? some of the corners in Ozarks cannot be taken 2 MPH over the posted limit, some 2x no problem.

oh and i am 27 and have had a couple parking lot near tipovers this year from getting complacent. between that and the spate of horrifying wrecks around here, i damn near got rid of the bike. but i know summer heat is breaking soon and will look forward to hitting the ozarks in sept/oct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rads Rule #1. Never approach turn at more than double posted. Has stood well the test of time.
I am but a sissy, but I usually enter turns at 20mph above yellow recommended. If I am feeling adventurous, or at the Ohio Ramble, I am entering turns at 30mph above posted.

Of course, I bought this bike as a tourer - not coming from a sport bike background.

So therefore at the meets, I am in the slow group -yet having the time of my life...ride your own ride...that's what mcarp says <_< :D

The #1 Rule speed is by no means mandatory, of course other inputs are observed. But here in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan, I have found that pretty much without fail, Frank can negotiate the turns at double the posted. Does not mean that I haven't been surprised, but the doubling rule has, so far, left room for quick adjustment. Now, the curve that took me by surprise, and Tomnap by force, during our CFO excursion, was an exception to the rule. But I, by using the rule, was still able to negotiate it, albeit as ugly a turn as I can recall having made in quite some time. But successfully in any case. That I slowed enough, deviating from the rule, as soon as it appeared the rule was not applicable, is testament that the rule is not written in stone, of course one must still apply common sense always , when looking for an envelope to push. Time was when I could have barreled into that turn regardless, and suffered, perhaps, the result of such foolishness. But, I have practiced the rule for as long as I can remember, and it's kept me out of harms way for lo these many years.

I am 62 (!) and ride a bit more aggressively than most.
Some days,I don't ride as hard as others. That's just "wisdom".

Do a track day on your touring bike-FJR,I suppose. You will gain confidence and awareness of the limits of the bike and discover that the limiting factor is you,not the bike.

Anyway,it's all for fun,isn't it?
This could be me, even the age is correct. I have not been riding alot with others, but I would guess that I would prefer corners a little faster than most. It's all about the lean ange and g force. Feels awesome!

Did I mention that I like "clean" roads?

I got my FJR  at 65.
I too got my FJR at 65, I too used to run the curves at least double the marked speed...but being a lot older and a lot less bolder I now keep it down to maybe 20 over the marked speed. Tires seem to last longer now. :)

Did I mention that I like "clean" roads?

And from what i have seen, the street as a whole, is not really safe for

what our FJR is capable of in the turns. Its either gravel or tar snakes

and this bike absolutely hates either one ... :)