Riding Has Changed.....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of us process information a bit slower as we age, so the mind-body system adjusts accordingly, unless we foolishly over-ride it. At 66, I'm pleased to continue riding. I don't want to miss anything in what ever years I have left to enjoy. Hurting myself would be a very poor example to the grandchildren, one of whom just earned his driver's license.

Enjoy the experience,

Leonard Lloyd

Bigboi, what you are sensing is wisdom. You have done the hot rides and tasted the edge of your limitations as most of us have done on the FJR. Now you are finding the true joy of the ride. It doesn't always have to be pushed. Taking time to smell the roses? Appreciating the new awareness may be part of your personal growth or perhaps your guardian angel giving you a 'heads up'. Whatever, don't question yourself, listen to yourself.

42 here and a riding buddy of mine says I ride like a girl. Tires are just barely scrubbed to the edges, and I guess I am a pretty conservative rider.

The penalty for screwing up is just too great and it's not worth it. I still have a blast.

-r

44 years old,2 kids in college, 9 heart attacks, 1 pacer defib, 10 bypasses, ( 2 quints ) ( I'm not very vein anymore ;) , 1 divorce after 20 years while in cardiac rehab, unemployed, unemployable...living back with parents....sold all stock to keep the feejer...Screw Levis( bad jeans) so they tell me, I live every day like its my last and one day I'll finally be right !!! Doesnt mean I dont have bad days..I do, but I try to enjoy and experience it all...the good, bad, blue and glad...I can tell ya one thing though BigBoi, dying young and pretty is for pussies...I'm slidin' in all used up!!! So Ride 'em if ya got em and if ya cant be good at least be colorful !!! :D

Blessings on ya Brother !

BobbyBlue

...so here I am at 50 years old. I have been riding and owned at least one motorcycle since the age of 9. In the past few months, something has changed in my riding habits. I am suddenly more cautious. I dont lean, accelerate or brake as aggressive as I always have. I have had no near-misses, I have not been down or had a close friend have an incident. I still love to ride and do it whenever I can. But what the hell is up with this?
Although I welcome a good smart-ass answer, I also am seeking opinions and am wondering if this has happened to any of you.
Hey BigBoi,

That's because 50 is the age that people take up golf.

I started playing golf at 50 to be closer to nature and enjoy more of the outdoors as well as get some exercise. It worked. I lost over 35 lbs. in the first year and have kept it off.

I can keep the ball in the fairway pretty much all the time and I am to the point where I can play with anyone and not be embarrassed. I have traveled to many places to play unique courses including the Canadian Rockies Banff Springs, Jasper and some really beautiful courses in British Columbia.

After 8 years of golf and 25 years since the last time I owned a bike, I bought an FJR with the idea of riding it to the Canadian Rockies next summer and possibly Alaska which for some reason has been a lifelong dream. To be honest, at this point I really don't care if I swing another club because my new hobby is my FJR.

The problem is down here in south Florida these third world drivers are absolutely the worst, most aggressive pieces of ass cheese on the road. You really take your life in your hands by riding a bike on the street here. Survival riding is the style of the day around here. Be aggressive when necessary and defensive 100% of the time.

Since acquiring my FJR I have to admit that I have "what if" visions that I never have had driving my cage. I don't know if it is being more aware that you are exposed and unprotected and that the FJR when not respected will kill you in half a heartbeat or that I am finally realizing my mortality.

Whatever the reason it's only natural to become more cautious as we age, that is unless you know the secret of "life after death".

Cheers :cownoy:

I have "what if" visions that I never have had driving my cage
There it is, right there. You hit the nail on the head, FtLFJR.

I am convinced that bike riders make the best cage drivers. Once you achieve the level of concentration that makes you a safe (and not necessarily slow) rider, you take a lot of that with you when you drive your car.

I catch myself scanning the road radar-like even when I drive my cage and I often automatically tilt my head for sightlines :D

Teerex

I caught a catch-phrase on one of the motorcycycle build shows, "aggressively defensive" in his term for riding his bike. (I believe he was from New York City.) It seems fairly appropriate most of the time when I drive in and around the Charleston, SC area, and would think probably in any other metropolitan area.

"aggressively defensive"
That is what I use.

I have many friends that got into trouble or had an accident because they rode along happily with the traffic.

I always ride/drive defensive. I never ride beside another vehicle, I make sure I am seen or can see what's ahead. I will pass if I don't like the situation or notice I am following a daydreamer. I expect everyone to pull in front of me, etc etc, it is just habit. To me that is normal driving, in any vehicle.

Look how many people "lem" (follow each other like lemmings without looking) through traffic lights. I see it nearly everyday riding to work.

Riding sensible - I don't think it comes with age, I chalk it up as accepting reality.

I ain't 40 yet.

I found that the average DQ ride with the Wingsters was boring and moved to the FJR.

I read of the high body count of many of the rides that included older riders from other groups that had since moved to the FJR and backed away from plans to participate.

Looks like I'll continue to ride my own ride and meet y'all when we get there.

I've let a lot of life pass me by as I rushed around to get here or there, both on the road and in life. Now, I prefer to simply appreciate where I am. I am having more fun than I have in my entire life by stopping to experience it.
I can relate RonC... spot on.

I just turned 50 - TODAY... I agree with Yanktars comments.

I never was the club racer type either.

I also agree with the "I have been to the mountain top and there are no trophy girls there" comment.

Hell, sometimes I just cruise and smell the roses along the way.

I got cocky though and took a corner at 70, around a 30mph corner
Rads Rule #1. Never approach turn at more than double posted. Has stood well the test of time. ;)
Yep, I do the same thing. I find it works well. Once familiar with the area, that rule sometimes bends a bit; however, I strictly follow this guideline when on a road I've never traveled before.

I realized awhile ago that I like my skin intact, my bones whole and my brain unscrambled (insert wise-ass comments here).
I was prepared to comment but you took all the fun out of it. :angry:

56 and riding for 40 years. Still see over triple digits now and then. But, after blowing out both shoulders, elbows and knees over the years (sports, not mc related, except one elbow from a dirt bike) there is no doubt I will not simply walk away from even a simple get-off. That makes a big difference in the approach. And in response to the comments about where the feathers grow (above)-I will add our hair doesn't get thinner, it just grows to the inside and comes out our nose and ears.

My FJR exceeds my limits as a motorcyle rider.

My Taylor Made R7 quad exceeds my limits as a golfer.

My Technica diablo boots w/custom insoles and rossignol rpm 90 ski's

exceed my limits as a skier.

My point is that even though most of us are pushing the ageing envelope

we don't have to push all the envelopes.

I was a better ( insert anything you want here ) 30 years ago but I also think I enjoy ( insert anything you want here ) more now.

If you want to slow down and enjoy the ride , if you want to go fast and push lean angles, if you want to sell your bike and veg in front of the TV the only person that matters is you.

If I cared what other people thought of me I would have a Harley Davi.... er, never mind. I don't think I would.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few years ago I went to Bike Week. After seeing all the other motorcycles & riders I finally felt like perhaps I really did belong to the human species & wasn't all that unique. Now after several years on a Concours & over a year on my FJR and reading the FJR forums for over a year I feel that I fit in. I mean actually there are others who have similar thoughts (scary, but comforting) and enjoy many of the same things. It's really nice to have groups like this even if they are for the most part electronic communications. Thanks All. Ron

Now after several years on a Concours & over a year on my FJR and reading the FJR forums for over a year I feel that I fit in.
Dunno RonBB... I feel like I don't fit in, except with most of you guys. We're definitley a minority. I mean, around here it's either sport bikes or cruisers, and almost no one rides daily. It's normally a week-end only thing... the cruisers riding from bar to bar praising each others chromed lead-sleds, or the sport bikes trying to "out-crazy" each other on the roads. There are exceptions, I know. I guess as I get older I care less and less what others think... and feel somewhat cynical toward the lemmings.