Riding pants for a tall skinny guy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithe68

Reaction score
I know they exist, I tried on a couple pair of mesh pants today that were long enough while off the bike The problem was, the crotch in them is so baggy that when I sat on my bike, the pants legs got pulled up so high they were useless. Currently I just wear regular jeans, because I can get them long enough to not ride up over my boots but I have never felt that they are enough protection at all.

I have read just about every stinking thread on here about overpants sizing, but none seem to address the baggy crotch area which causes the legs to ride up. I need something that fits better when on the bike, I don't care if they are on the long side when off the bike and bunch up. Tomorrow after work I am hoping to hit a couple more shops and see if I can find even a pair of riding jeans with kevlar and armor in the knees, but I don't have much hope.

For the record I am 6'3", 32" waist (gotten a little loose on me in the past 2 years though since I got serious about my other hobby, triathlon) and normally have to wear a 36" inseam pant.

Since you seem to be focused on mesh, jeans, and off-the-shelf...I don't think I can offer much there.

But, if you want semi-customized fitting...talk to the people at Aerostich. Stich' is a completely different league and mindset, but I bailed on mesh pants years ago.

I've got Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants in the tall size. I am 6'2" with a 36" inseam as well. They do ride up some in the legs when sitting on bike, but not too bad. When standing they are definitely long enough. Had them for past six years and they are still going strong. Pretty versatile pant really.

Kevlar jeans were the solution for me. For long rides, I have a killer set of Frank Thomas waterproof over pants with armor at the knees and massive reinforcement in the butt sliding area. Works for me. :)

Thanks for the tips, I will take a look and see what I can find. I think this is going to take a bit of serious work checking all the shops, maybe ordering online and returning til I find the right fit.

https://www.aerostich.com/ They don't do mesh but can build any type of riding gear you need but may not know yet that you want.

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/ VERY friendly people in Texas that love to chat on the phone and give advice with awesome return policies.

I've bought gear from both places and have never been sorry. Matter of fact my last pair of pants I bought were some Kevlar lined AGV cargo pants from the Texas folks and they had a fairly long inseam!

This is a troll post. There are no tall, skinny guys!!
tongue.png
Not on FJRs!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Try some Olympia pants. They all come very long and are intended to be hemmed to length. I just leave them full length and they are great like that, IMO. I have the Airglide mesh pants and their Ranger waterproof overpants for cool weather.

Some good suggestions here already. Speaking as a skinny guy (really, wfooshie, I'm 6'1, 163 lbs!) with a 34" inseam, I have to say I wouldn't be surprised if you have to go the custom or “customized” route. I have the Klim Badlands Pro pants in the “Tall” version (which isn’t really all that tall). I was getting some issues with the cuffs riding up over the top of the boots when on the bike (especially on the left leg, which is the one that moves at stops, etc.). That was until I got my wife to sew some elastic stirrups in (attached at the bottom of the knee pad pockets). With elastic “anchors” top and bottom (I put some suspenders on too) I’m able to fine-tune the fit quite nicely and have no more “riding up” issues. Now, with the tick up from 34” to 36”, all bets may be off. Good luck!

G-man I am surprised with your experiences with Klim. I am border line for "L" pants, yet the Klim traverse pants are plenty long at the regular length for me. The "Rider position" contour is nice! Wonder if the suspenders would make a difference(?)

BTW

When Aerostich says "L"... They are LONG!

Try some Olympia pants. They all come very long and are intended to be hemmed to length. I just leave them full length and they are great like that, IMO. I have the Airglide mesh pants and their Ranger waterproof overpants for cool weather.
I got to check out some Olympia pants today at one of the local dealerships, long enough standing there, too short when I got on the FJR in the showroom. They ride up over my boots. The next time I go in to try something on, I will have someone take a pic to show how bad it is, probably tomorrow after work.

I'm 6'6" 35" waist with a 36" inseam. I can get away with Tall sized jackets from Firstgear but was never able to find proper fitting pants.

Try motoport.com. You'll get a great fitting protective pant. A bit pricey but they are full-custom. I recommend these https://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=product&pid=50&cid=29&Itemid=15

IMO, they breath better than jeans do. Meaning I've tried mesh pants and don't bother with them anymore, instead just wear the kevlar pant.

Nik

G-man I am surprised with your experiences with Klim. I am border line for "L" pants, yet the Klim traverse pants are plenty long at the regular length for me. The "Rider position" contour is nice! Wonder if the suspenders would make a difference(?)
BTW

When Aerostich says "L"... They are LONG!
Indeed the problem was worsened when I added the suspenders and before the stirrups, but it was a problem even without suspenders. In fairness, my inseam might be closer to 35", but since that's not really offered for sale I usually buy 34s.

I've had great luck with FirstGear and their Tall Sizes. I wear a 34" waste (sometimes 35") . . . and a 35-36" inseam. I have and/or had: FirstGear's HT Air MeshOver Pants, their HT Overpants, and their Escape Overpants . . . all fit great, have adjsustable waste, and offer great features and quality. I also have a pair of Joe Rocket Alter-Ego pants that are great, a bit long though . . .

So my temporary fix until I can find something better was, to go with some Carhartt pants that have gotten some good press, even outperforming some motorcycle jeans. Added some spare CE armor that I had to the knee area. I know it's not the best but, it's way better than the plain old jeans I was wearing.

Last edited by a moderator:
RevIt may have something for you. When I wore Mesh I liked them. I just wear Stitch stuff now no matter what the wheather.