RIP Ardys Kellerman

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
The moto world lost an amazing and inspirational lady this week, Ardys Kellerman. She was 81 years young and one of two women riders who hit 1,000,000 miles (Voni Glaves is the other one). She inspired many a rider in her lifetime including me... sending condolences to all those whose lives she touched and to friends and family for the loss of one heckuva lady! Hope you're riding those twisties in heaven, Ardys!

https://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/06/81-year-old_female_motoryclist.html

The moto world lost an amazing and inspirational lady this week, Ardys Kellerman. She was 81 years young
Bravo and Kudos to Ardys!
clapping.gif
for over one million miles!

Last edited by a moderator:
More info today. Her kids say that she was pulling out of a concenience store/gas station (onto highway 78?) when she was struck by a passenger car.

More info today. Her kids say that she was pulling out of a concenience store/gas station (onto highway 78?) when she was struck by a passenger car.
Yes that was in the article (link in first post):

The crash happened at 3:22 p.m. at U.S. 78 and Rex Lake Road. Authorities said Kellerman was driving her motorcycle and pulled out of the convenience store at the intersection, which is near Barber Motor Sports. As she pulled onto U.S. 78, she was struck by an oncoming passenger car driven by an 82-year-old male.

Severely mixed thoughts.

Sad for the loss.

Happy for what by all estimates was a life lived well, with a riding pedigree I can only hope to approach.

Angry that she was taken from her family and from the motorcycling community.

Godspeed.

Found this on another forum:

This story gives you another insight into Ardys.

Jan 1, 2007

Queenie of Our Hearts
Ardys Kellerman - a rider to be celebrated
By Voni Glaves #13337

“Queenie” as she is known to the Gutter Gang at Lone Star BMW could easily be overlooked by someone who doesn't recognize an unpolished legend. A quick look in her eyes leaves you wondering what this great-grandmother's secret is. She is something.

Ardys Kellerman didn't start out to be a superhero. She was Mom to four kids. She had to work hard to support them on her own. Thirty-five years ago, she started off with a little Yamaha that came with a camper she purchased. That got her going and so she got a motorcycle license and learned on her own. When her van blew up she picked up a CB360 Honda to get to work and back. When she decided she could use a larger bike, her search took her to a Honda dealer. An 18-year-old customer was more interesting to the salesman than this young Mom, so Ardys decided to go elsewhere. After listening to another salesman tell a young couple about the Shadow she'd researched, he turned to her, assuming she was with them. He listened to her and then suggested she might actually like a BMW R80RT better. She admitted to him that it looked too big and she was afraid she might drop it. He dismissed her concerns with ease and suggested she come back with her riding gear when it wasn't raining. BMW's are all she's had ever since. Her last few bikes have all been Oilhead RT’s.

Is she really a superhero, you might wonder. Here are a few facts that Ardys is too modest to bring up. She was a licensed airplane pilot. She bred and showed dogs and horses before motorcycling became so important to her. She retired as an electronics technician at age 70. This great-grandmother of seven has completed four Iron Butt Rallies – the stamina trials billed as 11 thousand miles in 11 days. She started but didn’t finish one more. She has done innumerable Saddlesores (1,000 miles in 24 hours), and once, four in a row. That's a thousand miles a day for four days – in a row! This year she's done three more - in three different states. When she wasn't selected for the 2003 Iron Butt Rally, she did a little 49 state ride - in eight days - and was named an honorary citizen of the tiny town of Hyder, Alaska by the locals when they learned of her feat. She's ridden Coast to Coast in less than 50 hours. This year, at age 74, she is well on her way to setting a new record for women riders in the BMW MOA Mileage Contest of 75,000 miles. She is close to 700,000 lifetime BMW miles.

Her first long distance ride was to the Four Corners of the US. She had ridden from Maine to Key West, where it was unbearably hot, so she rode to Blaine, Washington to cool off before continuing on to San Ysidro, California. That was the year she rode 50,000 miles in six months for the BMW MOA Women's Mileage Contest, a mark which stood unchallenged for ten years.

Lone Star BMW in Austin, Texas has a dedicated corner of the dealership where Queenie and her minions gather. They display one of her Iron Butt flags and a newspaper article and other of her memorabilia there. Since they are open till 7 p.m. on Thursdays, that's the day they gather to go out to dinner somewhere. One of the Gutter Gang decided he'd ride a thousand miles and asked Ardys to sign his paperwork. To tease him, she said she'd have to ride along to really document the ride. As it turned out, seven more guys earned their Saddlesores under her watchful eye. With some of the bikes having a range of 125 miles that made it tough in west Texas but they managed to do it in just 22 hours. It was her most time-consuming ride ever.

Two of her equipment secrets are her sheepskin and her Motolights. When asked what it is that makes her ride like she does, she acknowledges that she just doesn't know. Competition is part of it. Before motorcycles, she had a bicycle. She had a pilots' license and always has been adventurous. She had done a lot of driving in the Northeast and she really likes to travel around. Even before she got her driver's license, she could tell others how to get places. She really didn't need written directions. The price of gas has something to do with it as well.

Her grandson, Scott, now has a Harley made the year he was born. When he was in elementary school, he was talking about his grandmother's motorcycle. He just didn't realize everyone's grandmother didn't ride. Of course the kids didn't believe him so he brought an MOA magazine with his grandmother winning the mileage contest for Show and Tell. It’s hard to dispute evidence like that.

Last summer she took her 15-year-old grandson, Jared, on a zoo tour driving by truck to San Diego from Massachusetts visiting zoos along the way including an animal safari Texas style. They missed Atlanta because Jared had to be back for school. She gave her youngest granddaughter, Tara, an all the gear all the time believer, a ride to her favorite Chuck E. Cheese. She's ridden up Mt. Washington with her son. Several of her family members ride, but not one as much as she does.

This year's highlights are many. She's met so many nice people and has gone to more rallies this year than she has in recent years. Riding with Heidi still doing 1,000 miles in one day in the constantly changing topography of Colorado is another highlight. She's been camping more this year as well. Meeting interesting people and seeing more of our beautiful country are important to her.

This year she's been to the North Florida Winter Rally, Bike Week in Daytona, the Women and Motorcycling Conference in Atlanta, the RA Rally in Boise, the Top O’Rockies Rally and she completed the Peaks of America tour by attending the MOA International rally in Vermont. She has spoken on two panels about long-distance riding. She brought down the house when asked when she knows she’s too tired to ride more, by confessing it’s when she ducks for overpasses. After the end of the mileage contest she'll return to Rhode Island to pick up a new bike she bought recently. This remarkable lady continues to shatter stereotypes, rack up miles and make friends along the way.

Source: BMW Motorcycle Owners of America

https://www.lonestarcycle.com/ardys100.htm

For some reason, this greatly saddens me.

An 82 year old pulls out and kills an 81 year old.

Tragic loss.

Sad news, to be sure but she died living life, instead of just being alive. She's an inspiration to all riders. R.I.P.

based on the reports, the 81 pulled out and the 82 smacked her. It's not clear if she didn't get clear of him as she was pulling out or if he hit her after she was in her lane (target fixation? lane discipline?).

Found this on another forum:
This story gives you another insight into Ardys.

Jan 1, 2007

Queenie of Our Hearts

Ardys Kellerman - a rider to be celebrated

By Voni Glaves #13337

Thanks for posting that Tyler. She truly was a remarkable person. I can only imagine that her passion for life was quite contagious.

R.I.P. Ardys, and thank you for letting us get to know a little about you.

My story will never read like hers, and it doesn't matter. That was a great write-up about her, what a life she has lived!

Ardys Kellerman died living, to soon it seems but died living. All anyone could ask!

R.I.P. young lady, rest in peace!

based on the reports, the 81 pulled out and the 82 smacked her. It's not clear if she didn't get clear of him as she was pulling out or if he hit her after she was in her lane (target fixation? lane discipline?).
Doesn't really matter... she is gone and speculation doesn't really help anyone, n'est pas? :)

My story will never read like hers, and it doesn't matter.
Kev, your story is just as important to those who are a part of your life. :wub:

"Too old to rock and roll, too young to die"
Amen, sistah! B)

I had the privilege of Ardys riding pillion with me in Gerlach one year....in the shooting competition. A 70-something year old lady was popping off .40 rounds from my Glock as I aimed us past a target on the wide open Blackrock playa. 5 or 6 rounds later I came to a stop and as she stepped off the bike she did a complete shoulder roll onto the playa with an "Umph!"

My mouth opened and I said, "Oh my God! I broke Ardys!"

She put a hand down, rolled over, looked a bit surprised, 5 people helped her up, and she smiled. "That was fun!" she said.

Special lady...I'm going to miss her my friend Ardys Kellerman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't really matter... she is gone and speculation doesn't really help anyone, n'est pas?
smile.png
put a sock in it. i've known ardys for a long time and wasn't speculating. i was just clarifying what appeared to be a misunderstanding of what the report (and family) said.