Rumble Strips = SUHWEET!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V GER

Reaction score
Just had my first ride with this little gem installed.

Works as advertised. A functional, cheap farkle with better than expected results.

Helmet: KBC FFR

Windshield: Cal-Sci Medium (new model without slot)

Height: 5'11"

:yahoo:

I would have to think that thety wouldn't work with my Shoei X-11, since the helemt already has the "Wing" on it. Good to know for some of my other lids though. Thanks.

I would have to think that thety wouldn't work with my Shoei X-11, since the helemt already has the "Wing" on it. Good to know for some of my other lids though. Thanks.
yep, i was going to mention or ask, isn't that similar to the "spoiler" on my shoei rf1000?

Thanks for the reminder. I had one of these on my previous helmet and it worked surprisingly well. Problem being you can't switch them from helmet to hemet...or at least I couldn't. The glue is so strong it started tearing apart. So I just ordered another one.

gypsy

Last edited by a moderator:
yep, i was going to mention or ask, isn't that similar to the "spoiler" on my shoei rf1000?
The foil on the X11 and RF1000 are far to the back. The Rumble-Strip sits on top, so it has a chance to break the air first. That's it's mission; to disturb the air flow and reduce buffeting and noise. I've used it on my RF1000 when riding the Strom and it makes a huge difference - not so much on the FJR for me, but when the SO bucks-up enough to ride pillion, she swears by the thing on her Arai.

I was thinking that you could use a bunch of Twinkies end to end to make a super rumble strip. I could double as emergency rations if you wrecked in the middle of nowhere.

I like how the cartoon riders on the website are scowling and cursing without the R-S and smiling in ectstasy with the R-S. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
So this thread got me to thinking, usually very dangerous but not this time, and I taped a piece of house door weather striping to my helmet. You know, that self adhesive gray foam stuff that comes in a roll. I used a piece that was about 3/4" wide and 1/2" tall and about 10 or so inches long. Using a pair of scissors I put a taper to the front edge of it and left the back side alone. I taped it on a couple of inches behind the upper most part of the helmet. Just a WAG.

What an unbelievable difference! My helmet for whatever reason happens to be super loud. I can never ride without ear plugs. This piece of foam reduced the noise by about 2/3!

Of course the down side is it's pretty ugly but I just consider that a match to the rider. I think I'll try to find something that looks a little better and play around with the placement to see if I can get even more out of it.

Thanks for the thread

So this thread got me to thinking, usually very dangerous but not this time, and I taped a piece of house door weather striping to my helmet. You know, that self adhesive gray foam stuff that comes in a roll. I used a piece that was about 3/4" wide and 1/2" tall and about 10 or so inches long. Using a pair of scissors I put a taper to the front edge of it and left the back side alone. I taped it on a couple of inches behind the upper most part of the helmet. Just a WAG.
What an unbelievable difference! My helmet for whatever reason happens to be super loud. I can never ride without ear plugs. This piece of foam reduced the noise by about 2/3!

Of course the down side is it's pretty ugly but I just consider that a match to the rider. I think I'll try to find something that looks a little better and play around with the placement to see if I can get even more out of it.

Thanks for the thread
You got some video of that in action? :D

Ya know I always thought Rumble Strips wer something quite different.

Maybe that's just in this part of the world.

We call those lumpy strips road workers put on the road as warning. They make heaps of noise when you drive on them, YEP that's it just before you hit the dirt.

Seriously it sounds like it's worth a go.

I have a Nolan N102 N-Com and it keeps my head pretty stable but I have a buddy who is really being knocked around by wind over his windshield so I will definitely give him a link. It looks like they work really well and come in a variety of colors way cheaper than a new helpmate, thanks for the link.

Ya know I always thought Rumble Strips wer something quite different.Maybe that's just in this part of the world.

We call those lumpy strips road workers put on the road as warning. They make heaps of noise when you drive on them, YEP that's it just before you hit the dirt.

Seriously it sounds like it's worth a go.
I agree with you, rumble strips make your vehicle rumble when you drive on them. This helmet attachment looks more like a speed bump. :rolleyes: