Running on Empty / Flashing Fuel Bar

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm. Not just the fuel pump to worry about RadioHowie... what about the fuel indicator? My Ford F250 indicator consists of a potentiometer in the gas tank with a float attached.
As the float moves, the exposed wiper rubs against metal wires to change the resistance!

I'm with RH - from now on I'm using nuclear power. This gas stuff is too dangerous..
I'm with ya, man.

And while we're at it, what about these spark plug things -- I understand they're actually designed to detonate a fuel/air mixture.

How nuts is that???

Hmmm. Not just the fuel pump to worry about RadioHowie... what about the fuel indicator? My Ford F250 indicator consists of a potentiometer in the gas tank with a float attached.
As the float moves, the exposed wiper rubs against metal wires to change the resistance!

I'm with RH - from now on I'm using nuclear power. This gas stuff is too dangerous..
I'm with ya, man.

And while we're at it, what about these spark plug things -- I understand they're actually designed to detonate a fuel/air mixture.

How nuts is that???
Detonation knocks man. It's rapid oxidation!! Kids......... ;)

Robot when Will Smith is on the bike and the girl starts to freak out because it runs on gas. It explodes ya know :lol:

This is not to argue with any of the knowledgeable folks contributing to this thread, but just to express an opinion...
What bonehead of an engineer decided to design an ELECTRIC fuel pump that used a highly volatile, highly explosive fluid to keep said pump cool?

So if I'm understanding correctly, if a person runs his FJR dry, the pump, sitting in a nicely enclosed metal container full of incredibly explosive fumes, can suddenly overheat and do what? Simply and safely shut itself off with an apologetic "sorry for the inconvenience"? Or fry a winding, throw a spark and launch said FJR and pilot into a low lunar orbit?

I'm about to park this Rube Goldberg of a motorcycle in case the Metzler front tire explodes, the top end starts ticking like a bomb, or that big metal tank between my knees goes up like an Iraqui nuclear plant during Israeli Airforce bombing "practice".

:assasin:
All the jets I fly and have flown have big (usually electric) fuel pumps immersed in fuel to keep them cool, and coincidentally, it has been discovered that actually being in the fuel tank assures grater likelyhood of being very near fuel to pump. :D

This is not to argue with any of the knowledgeable folks contributing to this thread, but just to express an opinion...
What bonehead of an engineer decided to design an ELECTRIC fuel pump that used a highly volatile, highly explosive fluid to keep said pump cool?

So if I'm understanding correctly, if a person runs his FJR dry, the pump, sitting in a nicely enclosed metal container full of incredibly explosive fumes, can suddenly overheat and do what?  Simply and safely shut itself off with an apologetic "sorry for the inconvenience"?  Or fry a winding, throw a spark and launch said FJR and pilot into a low lunar orbit?

I'm about to park this Rube Goldberg of a motorcycle in case the Metzler front tire explodes, the top end starts ticking like a bomb, or that big metal tank between my knees goes up like an Iraqui nuclear plant during Israeli Airforce bombing "practice".

:assasin:
All the jets I fly and have flown have big (usually electric) fuel pumps immersed in fuel to keep them cool, and coincidentally, it has been discovered that actually being in the fuel tank assures grater likelyhood of being very near fuel to pump. :D
You mean like this one?

flames1.jpg

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

You mean like this one?
flames1.jpg

:haha:   :haha:   :haha:   :haha:
The Concorde had a ruptured fuel tank caused by metallic debris on the runway, there was nothing wrong with the pump -- be it design, choice of placement, cooling or lubrication method.

And I know you were just kidding :D But just in case someone actually thought it had anything to do with a failing fuel pump...

Well if you're gonna ruin MY post, I'm gonna ruin yours... :fuck:

It WAS a ruptured fuel tank, but from a tire blowing out on takeoff, not FOD on the runway.

Damn Metzlers. :angry:

CLICK HERE

Well if you're gonna ruin MY post, I'm gonna ruin yours... :fuck:
It WAS a ruptured fuel tank, but from a tire blowing out on takeoff, not FOD on the runway. 

Damn Metzlers. :angry:

CLICK HERE
Ok, I'll now plead to change my testimony :lol: , it was the blow-out that was caused by the metallic debris, I remember hearing about it over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, at the time, on all news channels accross Europe. I have a distinct memory of a reporter doing a live segment, at the end of a runway, holding a small piece of metal equal to the one that caused the accident to happen.

From the site you linked:

"The BEA, in a statement summarizing the report, said it had concluded that a stray ``part lost by an aircraft that had taken off five minutes earlier'' sparked the events that caused the Air France supersonic jet to crash on July 25, 2000.

The statement said investigators have concluded that a Concorde tire burst after running over the debris on the runway. The explosion sent rubber pieces hurtling toward fuel tanks, causing a fuel leak and fire that brought the plane down.

The loss of the metallic piece by the DC-10 of Continental Airlines had been identified as resulting from maintenance operations that did not conform to the regulations,'' the report said. (...)"

I'm not sure, but I believe the tyres were Michelins, so Metzeler is off the hook for now :bleh: But, now that I think about it, I'm running Pilot Roads on my feejer... Ok, I'll be headed to the nearest tyre outlet after leaving work. I don't want those damn popping Michelins on my baby :D

Now if you could also photoshop fatass here into that pic, you'd have a real winner

scooter-overload.jpg

I think his question was answered though.

No point in creating another pointless thread for us to just carry on our antics

I think his question was answered though.No point in creating another pointless thread for us to just carry on our antics
But But But

Rad requested this after all.

Just one more. :rolleyes:

scooter-overload.jpg

This man made an attempt on RadioHowies records but succeceded only in melting the rear off his scooter and being ticketed by the epa for using the wrong gas.

I know, I didn't actually get him in the original pic. I couldn't see an easy way and there are only so many hours in the day. The flames are actually from the first tho.

Back to work and your regularly scheduled programming.

Thank you for your patience, Sparky :)

The antics here are often the high point of the Forum. :haha:

OH, and I personally always fill up as soon as the last bar starts to flash or before.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's improtant for anyone still reading this thread to remember that each bike is different and our reserves will be slightly different as well due to the float arm. If you've pulled the fuel pump from the FJR's tank, you will note that it's a tight fit to get it in and out and that the float arm is easy to tweak in the process.

It's good to know how much reserve you have for your riding style, your area's gas, (CA squirrel piss gives less range), and your bike. I don't get nervous until 50 on reserve, but for the reasons Radman stated, I generally get gas as soon as the bar starts flashing, if not sooner. Depends on the ride and the convenience of the stations. If I know where they are, I might head for one I like instead of just hitting the next one.

Oh, and Howie, fuel/air ratio. If the ratio is wrong, no boom. And there's actually a pretty narrow ratio where gas ignights. Now, when you convert your FJR to alcohol, then we all want to watch.......from a distance! when you fill your tank. ;)

Thank you for your patience, Sparky smile.gif
I was just speaking to Skooters comment, you should know I am as guilty of stealing threads as anyone and I love the antics... :lol:

It's improtant for anyone still reading this thread to remember that each bike is different and our reserves will be slightly different as well due to the float arm. If you've pulled the fuel pump from the FJR's tank, you will note that it's a tight fit to get it in and out and that the float arm is easy to tweak in the process.
It's good to know how much reserve you have for your riding style, your area's gas, (CA squirrel piss gives less range), and your bike. I don't get nervous until 50 on reserve, but for the reasons Radman stated, I generally get gas as soon as the bar starts flashing, if not sooner. Depends on the ride and the convenience of the stations. If I know where they are, I might head for one I like instead of just hitting the next one.

Oh, and Howie, fuel/air ratio. If the ratio is wrong, no boom. And there's actually a pretty narrow ratio where gas ignights. Now, when you convert your FJR to alcohol, then we all want to watch.......from a distance! when you fill your tank. ;)
I'm thinkin "diesel".

Imagine the mileage I'd get! :bleh: