• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Russell December Group Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone else order the heater option? Mine comes in this week and has the heater. I'm curious how others may have mounted the switch to turn the heater off and on.

Okay, I've got a challenge with my new Russell. I put about 30 miles on it today (first ride), and the leading edges of the wings press into the back of my thighs. Does anyone else have this problem? If my lower legs (tibias?) were 1 inch longer, or pegs 1 inch higher, I don't think this would be happening. Suggestions?
There should have been a single page document included in the box which notes a 500-1000 mile "break-in" period.

Did anyone else order the heater option? Mine comes in this week and has the heater. I'm curious how others may have mounted the switch to turn the heater off and on.
The switch will be mounted on the side of the seat. Look at my seat in THIS POST. Unfortunately the one on the front seat was in a spot where the rear seat covered part of the switch up, rendering the rider switch useless. They said they'd correct it and pay for shipping both directions, I just haven't yet had the time to get it sent back for them to fix. The seat builder apologized and said it happened since he didn't have the bike there for fitting, and it had never happened before.

I haven't seen anybody else mention this, but mine was SLIPPERY when I got it. Seems to have some sort of silicone or something on it. The day I got it I quickly put it on the bike then sat on it (in my jeans). Felt good, didn't have time for a ride, then had to take off in the car to pick up the SO. First corner I went around in my car I nearly slid off my driver seat. Whatever was on the Russell seat had tranferred to my jeans. It's cleared itself off now (4 months later) but sure was slippery for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I've got a challenge with my new Russell. I put about 30 miles on it today (first ride), and the leading edges of the wings press into the back of my thighs. Does anyone else have this problem? If my lower legs (tibias?) were 1 inch longer, or pegs 1 inch higher, I don't think this would be happening. Suggestions?
There should have been a single page document included in the box which notes a 500-1000 mile "break-in" period.
I guess if we would have paid full price we would have gotten this little note along with a free t-shirt. :lol:

I guess if we would have paid full price we would have gotten this little note along with a free t-shirt. :lol:
I did the group buy and have this... I could scan it in and put it somewhere accessible to all...I'll check copyright info..

The switch will be mounted on the side of the seat. Look at my seat in THIS POST. Unfortunately the one on the front seat was in a spot where the rear seat covered part of the switch up, rendering the rider switch useless. They said they'd correct it and pay for shipping both directions, I just haven't yet had the time to get it sent back for them to fix. The seat builder apologized and said it happened since he didn't have the bike there for fitting, and it had never happened before.

I haven't seen anybody else mention this, but mine was SLIPPERY when I got it. Seems to have some sort of silicone or something on it. The day I got it I quickly put it on the bike then sat on it (in my jeans). Felt good, didn't have time for a ride, then had to take off in the car to pick up the SO. First corner I went around in my car I nearly slid off my driver seat. Whatever was on the Russell seat had tranferred to my jeans. It's cleared itself off now (4 months later) but sure was slippery for a while.
Man, that's GREAT news! I was stressing over mounting the switch somewhere. I'm not one of those that has a lot in the mechanical skills department :)

You guys are welcome and I was happy to set this up and it has been great to see all of the shots of your seats. Now get out and ride!!!!
Ummm . . . It's 15 degrees today and they're forcasting another 6 inches of snow. I think I'd better wait a while.

But thanks for the effort on this buy. For now I'll just sit on it in the garage, close my eyes and make vroom vroom sounds.

I finally got mine! I think they look good and they seem to be very well made. After some ride time we will know for sure! The seat is very tall I used to have the seat in the high position now it is in the low and the seat is still noticably taller.

THANKS 2006 FJR!!

DSCN0662.jpg

DSCN0664.jpg

DSCN0663.jpg

Sorry for the poor photos but the garage is packed!

I got my seat back on Tuesday, looks awesome! I have an issue with the seating position of the pillion portion which I'll call them about but the front section feels great. It's about 2 degrees (F) so a test ride will have to wait. Pictures to follow (as soon as I can take some and figure out how to post them).
I assume that you had them rework the passenger section then? (ie Dual seat)

I just had them recover my stock back which already had a gel and memory foam insert.
Yes, I got the dual seat. I called them about the pillion, and they put the guy on that did my seat. I explained what was wrong, he was great about it and listened to the issues, then said send it in and he'd fix it. It's going out this week with more pictures. The front seems great.

My build date was Feb 8th, got my seat back Feb 14th. Not bad for accross border service!! The seat looks and feels excellent, can't wait to be able to get out for a ride on it. Unlike some others I haven't noticed any change in seat height. Thank you for organizing such a great buy!! And now the seat pics on an AWESOME bike!!!!!!hahahha:

russelseat003.jpg

russelseat004.jpg

russelseat005.jpg

My build date was Feb. 5 and I got mine back Feb 15. I got the driver and pillion done for me and my wife in vinyl and the half moon pattern. We went for a 3 hour ride yesterday and it is fantastic. You literally forget about the seat completely. In a good way. You just don't even think about your butt at all. It looks great too. My wife is absolutely thrilled about the comfort as well.

Build date of 2/6, rec'd it today. Very nice....thanks for the group buy!!

Will post pics soon...

Looking at the pics I should get a picture of my motorcycle russell seat.

But I don't want to depress anyone with pictures of snow. Besides there isn't much room in the garage between the gas generator, boat and 4 other motorcycles .

The other four are not mine.... just helping out people that don't have any storage space.

I may be the last one. I ordered mine on the last day at 8:20PM.

My build date was the 18th so I'll probably get it in a couple of weeks.

Ordered the heated duals.

Wow, what a great day. I knew I was getting my new tank bag in the mail today but when I got home...THE SEATS WERE HERE! Woohoo! I miss riding the bike. I sent in my seats on 2/11. They arrived on the morning of 2/12. My build date was 2/18. I got my seats on 2/21. So literally a 10 day turn around!

First impression, quality build. I can tell that it will be a lot more comfortable. And the heat! Yeah! Takes a few minutes to warm up but it gets warm! Ok here are the pictures!

5197IMG_0274.JPG

5197IMG_0275.JPG

5197IMG_0276.JPG

5197IMG_0277.JPG

5197IMG_0278.JPG

My wife and I would like to thank you for putting together the group buy! We would have eventually gone the day long route but thanks to you we did it sooner!

I do believe mine is the last one.

Hey... I've been following this threat and have spoken to Russell about making me a seat while in Ca.

I was wondering if you guys could tell me if your seat is leather, vinyl, or vinyl with leather inserts. it's kind of hard to tell in the pictures.

I'm just wondering if I should go with leather.

Thanks,

Dave

See my post above.(#127) That is vinyl. It seems high quality and well built.

Status
Not open for further replies.