Russell Seat "Fix"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
My newly acquired 2011 FJR came equipped with a Russell seat in leather. While a vast improvement over the stock seat, I don't think it is all it could be. The previous owner was a bit lighter than me (maybe 175 vs my 200 lb) but more to the point, he was built differently (half a foot shorter or more than my 6'3"). I have the seat in the "High" position (34" inseam) and I am finding that I have a feeling of being pushed forward into the tank. I think he also rode with a less upright posture based upon the setup.

I don't think Russell offers cheap adjustments to second owners so I am wondering if anyone has run into this and how they handled it. Basically, I think I need to create a "pocket" or depression further back so I am not sliding forward. I might see if I can find an upholsterer who has worked with motorcycle seats and see if he can remove the cover and carve out a bit of the seat foam - hopefully without butchering it!! (I think I may write to Russell for suggestions as well). Has anyone successfully modified a Russell for a better fit?

Handlebars have a simple GenMar riser block. A bit of pullback on the bars might help but that gets into other significant changes in riding ergos (maybe an improvement but maybe not).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ross, have you considered:

Send it to Russell and don't worry about the money. Just pay what it costs and get what you need.

or

Sell/trade it, get another OEM seat and start over however you want.

As much as I love my Laam for everyday use, and as firmly as I believe that the Laam was The Right Choice for my needs, I often wish I had a Russell for when I take my annual Long Trip. It is just so hard to justify it when my Laam makes me happy every day on my commute.

I will see what Russell has to say about cost or if they have any advice on making adjustments. Shipping cross border (each way) can be a pain in the ass in terms of paperwork and can be expensive - separate from the cost of adjustments. While the seat is undeniably better than stock, some adjustment is needed but I am not willing to shell out a large proportion of the cost of a new Russell right now. I would consider a trade with someone if they had a Russell that was better shaped for me (and they wanted mine).

I certainly don't hate the seat but I am pretty sure it could be better.

Based on my [limited] conversations with Russell, they'll expect you to pay for an entire new seat. Helping a second owner with an adjustment didn't seem to be in their business model...

~G

Based on my [limited] conversations with Russell, they'll expect you to pay for an entire new seat. Helping a second owner with an adjustment didn't seem to be in their business model...
~G

I have heard that but I also read a post here:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/171850-russell-cycle-products-shasta-lake-ca/?hl=++russell+++adjust

Apparently they did something for somebody fairly recently. I have an email in to Russell to see what they will offer for an adjustment or advice on what I could do. As I mentioned, I am not buying a new one at this point or going with a complete rebuild.

I somehow messed up the post so my reply is part of the quoted text

RK

The following is a photo of the seat on the bike. It seems to me that the "butt pocket" is pretty far forward but I haven't had a really close look at others to compare. I would rather not be pushed up against the tank.

28556140078_f2dbd7ebea_c.jpg

Russell may charge for a new seat but what you get back is a new seat built specifically for you.

As those who have done it will tell you, the cost is pretty comparable to many off the rack options and you can spend much more than the difference in band aids like covers, pads, beads, and more. After all that side stepping and cost, those "almost there" solutions still won't be as good.

Russell may charge for a new seat but what you get back is a new seat built specifically for you.
As those who have done it will tell you, the cost is pretty comparable to many off the rack options and you can spend much more than the difference in band aids like covers, pads, beads, and more. After all that side stepping and cost, those "almost there" solutions still won't be as good.
In addition to the expense that I would rather avoid for right now, Russell is currently quoting build dates past the middle of September. If Russell is going to charge me a large proportion of a new build and I would have to wait several months, I will probably try a local "adjustment" and consider sending it off over the winter if that doesn't work for me.

(I do have an email in to them and will see what they can tell me)

Might be helpful to see some photos of seats that are built for someone of my stature - at least a starting point for adjustments if I try to do that locally.

I have the same issue as you with my previously owned day long. Im a little heavier than you but similar height. P O was maybe 30 pounds lighter so maybe I collapsed the foam or whatever.

Interested in the outcome of your enquiries.

Cheers

I may be completely wrong on this but when Russell seats are built, they don't just use foam from the local Hobby Lobby and cut/fit to shape. They actually have a foam machine that they spray into a custom mold. Therefore "adjusting" a Russell seat will probably not give optimum results.

Of course if you are not happy you will have to do SOMETHING so a local adjustment may work perfectly.

Yummyam, Russell does utilize a spring within their foam so chances are you have not collapsed the foam.

I may be completely wrong on this but when Russell seats are built, they don't just use foam from the local Hobby Lobby and cut/fit to shape. They actually have a foam machine that they spray into a custom mold. Therefore "adjusting" a Russell seat will probably not give optimum results.
Of course if you are not happy you will have to do SOMETHING so a local adjustment may work perfectly.

Yummyam, Russell does utilize a spring within their foam so chances are you have not collapsed the foam.
Will wait to see what Russell says and have a talk to the local upholstery guys. If I am not comfortable with what they tell me, I will leave it alone rather than risk destroying what I have. I appreciate your input.

~G

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/171850-russell-cycle-products-shasta-lake-ca/?hl=++russell+++adjust

Apparently they did something for somebody fairly recently. I have an email in to Russell to see what they will offer for an adjustment or advice on what I could do. As I mentioned, I am not buying a new one at this point or going with a complete rebuild.

RK
That's NOT what they told me when I called, I would GLADLY pay 150.00 to fit my RDL to me. {the front of the seat is too high, and if I keep my feet on the regular pegs rather than the 'highway" pegs it cuts off the circulation in my legs even though I have the seat in the "lower" position.}

~G

RK
That's NOT what they told me when I called, I would GLADLY pay 150.00 to fit my RDL to me. {the front of the seat is too high, and if I keep my feet on the regular pegs rather than the 'highway" pegs it cuts off the circulation in my legs even though I have the seat in the "lower" position.}
Almost sounds like you should try my seat and vice versa. I need the front of the seat higher or the back lower so I don't get pushed into the tank as much. Too bad you weren't closer.

Redfish.......thanks for the comment, though I believed they only used springing when building for a ahem, ‘larger’ rider.

Ross-

I bought a 2006 with a RDL that was built for a guy much shorter than me with a much shorter inseam. I figured I should put the seat in the high position because I was taller but I had some fitment issues doing that Not so much being crammed up against the gas tank as having my shins crammed up against the plastic. Remarkably, the fit was much better in the low position. It's a pretty easy and cheap modification to try.

Ross-
I bought a 2006 with a RDL that was built for a guy much shorter than me with a much shorter inseam. I figured I should put the seat in the high position because I was taller but I had some fitment issues doing that Not so much being crammed up against the gas tank as having my shins crammed up against the plastic. Remarkably, the fit was much better in the low position. It's a pretty easy and cheap modification to try.
I rode for a day and a half (1000 miles or so) with it in the lower position. Upper was substantially better for me.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm going to suggest you try doing it yourself. The leather is just stapled onto the pan and it can easily be pulled back with just some of them removed, and just as easily stretched back over the padding, both to test fit and for final stapling. You can work in any increments you're comfortable with, including doing no removal at all, but it's just a matter of removing a little and testing until you like it.

A rasp, a serrated knife, an orbital sander or an angle grinder can take the foam off, just little by little. If you don't have a way to drive heavy enough staples into the seat pan when it's done, that's something any upholstery shop can easily do for you, but to test as you go you don't have to re-staple at all, just stretch it over the work in progress.

It may seem daunting, but you're not satisfied with it now, and you can test fit the changes a hundred times as you go.

(By the way, I realize Russell saddles are sacred around here, but I'm pretty sure you know what you want and can do this just fine.)

I was the poster of the thread Ross mentions. Here

I bought a like new leather RDL off EBay, but the pocket was too far forward and too small. I was pretty much willing to buy a new DL but decided to call and ask about options. Jay was very responsive and easy to work with. They basically rebuilt the foam on my seat but reused the cover. I didn't expect them to be able to reuse the cover, so that was a big cost saving for me.

I did call a few years ago about another Russell I acquired and the woman on the phone was less than helpful, so YMMV.