Russell Seat Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kxb44

Reaction score
After a couple of 400 mile day rides, I have decided the stock seat isn't going to cut it for me. After loads of research and previous experience with Corbin I have narrowed my choices to the Russell or the new Sargent. If I get the Russell, I'm going to do a ride-in appointment from Utah then head up the coast. For those of you that have done ride-in appointments a couple of questions:

1. How long did it take start to finish?

2. Did they have a loaner seat to give you so you weren't stuck waiting all day?

3. Were 100% satisfied with the results?

4. Anything you'd do differently next time?

Last edited by a moderator:
1. & 2.) It took most of Saturday. I showed up at 0800 with a dozen donuts for the crew, they took some pitures and trial fit me 3 or 4 times. While they were sewing the cover (after around 1100 AM, they gave me a "loaner seat" (Probably one that was mailed in!?!?!?!?) and I rode around Mt. Shasta area and returned about 1400 and my seat was done.

3.) Yep! The seat is one of the few things I harvested from the totalled '04 and put on the '05.

4.) Maybe. Because of my "heft" I opted to have the extra spring put in my seat. I "might" not do that....but then again, it has held up well for 36,000 miles 12K on the '04 and 24K+ on the '05).

After a couple of 400 mile day rides, I have decided the stock seat isn't going to cut it for me. After loads of research and previous experience with Corbin I have narrowed my choices to the Russell or the new Sargent. If I get the Russell, I'm going to do a ride-in appointment from Utah then head up the coast. For those of you that have done ride-in appointments a couple of questions:

2. Did they have a loaner seat to give you so you weren't stuck waiting all day?

I've had Russels on my 05 and on my 06. I made an appointment with Russel the same day my dealer called to tell me the 06 was "in and being prepped "

Both times I checked in the night before my appointment, the staff took pictures and asked me questions about my riding habits .They then asked me to return the next morning to try out the roughed out seat.

The availability of loaner seats varies. I was lucky both times. I took a 4 to 6 hour ride on some of the great roads in the area [ check out hwys 36 or 299 east ].

When I returned at 4 PM my seats were completed. The staff checked the fit once again, asked what I thought and made corrections or answered my questions and I was on my way.

I've put in many 12 to 14 hr days on these seats and they were without a doubt the best money I've spent on farkels for the FJR...[ fwiw the second best were bar risers or set backs ]

Ghost

Just got back from Lake Shasta and Russell a week ago last Thursday...

Checked in Tuesday 8:00 AM. Mike indroduced himself as my seatbuilder and I couldn't have been more pleased. 3 or 4 fittings and they gave me a loaner seat. I added a stripe so the sewing took a little longer. I was out of there at 4:30. I rode about 1800 miles total round trip and it was worth every penny and every mile. I had to send the seat back so they could tighten up the leather as it had stretched very badly right away. I expect it back anyd day... There are pics of the seat in the parts & acc thread.

Lucky

4.) Maybe. Because of my "heft" I opted to have the extra spring put in my seat. I "might" not do that....but then again, it has held up well for 36,000 miles 12K on the '04 and 24K+ on the '05).
Well that brings up the new question. MM I understand you are a larger fellow, but how much larger? I am leaning to the point of falling over towards the Russell, Why would you skip the spring? At 230lb the web suggests it for me.

1) Rolled in at 8 - 8:30, they had my work order sitting on the counter awaiting my arrival; was done by 4 pm; when I arrived to pickup the seat, it was raining; they made space in their bay so I could park out of the weather - nice.

2) Yes

3) Seat is a bit higher, (i.e. ~ 1/2 inch) however that has not been a big deal; although I will be adding a taller windshield now, as it did change my profile; (getting some buffeting now, sitting higher).

4) No..the staff was great. I got 2-tone leather with the half-moon stitching:

DSC01017.jpg

HUGE improvement in comfort..I can run the tank empty without my butt even realizing it...uh, maybe that came out wrong! Definitely worth it, IMO.

Well that brings up the new question. MM I understand you are a larger fellow, but how much larger? I am leaning to the point of falling over towards the Russell, Why would you skip the spring? At 230lb the web suggests it for me.
When I got the seat I was @ 225 or so. My weight rises and falls (though its now at a svelte 280 and heading back down). It may be MY butt, making it a very personal issue. During long rides (multi-day, 400+ per day: For instance, WFO in Skagit was 7 days of riding every day) I'd like a little more lateral space to move. The design of the Russell doesn't allow much of that.

I had them make it so I could slide a little fore and aft, but there isn't much side to side. Yes, I can move to the side and "hang off" a bit and I've been known to do so. I will say that sliding off and sitting on the "wings" is interesting and they always spring back....which I attribute to the extra spring.

As I stated...I MIGHT rethink it. But overall I've been awesomely pleased with the saddle. 36K and no butt-ache!?!?!?

I rode up there from Sacramento. I took the "long" way up Hwy 89 through Lassen, etc. By the time I got there I had major-butt-burn. I droned home onI-5 and I was about halfway home when I realized my butt-burn had subsided and the hot spots were fading....all of this while sitting on my new (not broken in) seat. The Russell is that good! The other is merely a small wonder, certainly not a complaint.

I can say that at 5-11 185lbs I love my new Sargent. I've had them on other bikes and shape usually like stock but better comfort. I was suprised to see my FJR Sargent seat wider than stock with little "wings" similar but not as large or pronounced as the Russell. I also like how the Sargent is level, taking out the slope toward tank. I've had recent hip surgery and bad disks in low back and the added width/support really helps. If you're a big guy the Russell looks like it can accomadate a large arse but I like the looks,storage and price (got my rider only for $299) also I like Sargent using their own seat pan which will also allow for you to send it in or the stock later to Russell, Mayer etc and still ride on the other if you don't like the Sargent.

Just my .02

Steve

1. About 6-7 hours, including several short test rides and adjustments to accommodate my desires/suggestions. Seat height and width are critical to comfort, so they don't want to give you too much latitude with your suggestions, but they know a lot more about building a good seat than you do, and it pays to listen.

2. No, but that was for my other bike, some obscure German brand. I enjoyed hanging around the shop and watching them (through the window, no customers in work area) take my seat apart and rebuild it while gladly anwering all of my questions about the process. I didn't feel "stuck waiting" at all.

3. Yes. The seat was superb right from the start, and became perfect with a break-in of a couple thousand miles. It remains that way to this day, after two and a half years and 150K miles. The heavyweight suspension (extra springs) was a good choice for my 240 lbs.

4. No. I can't wait to ride my FJR over there (from the east coast) to have a Russell fitted!

Best regards,

Ryan

I can say that at 5-11 185lbs I love my new Sargent. I've had them on other bikes and shape usually like stock but better comfort. I was suprised to see my FJR Sargent seat wider than stock with little "wings" similar but not as large or pronounced as the Russell. I also like how the Sargent is level, taking out the slope toward tank. I've had recent hip surgery and bad disks in low back and the added width/support really helps. If you're a big guy the Russell looks like it can accomadate a large arse but I like the looks,storage and price (got my rider only for $299) also I like Sargent using their own seat pan which will also allow for you to send it in or the stock later to Russell, Mayer etc and still ride on the other if you don't like the Sargent.Just my .02

Steve
The things that you mentioned about the Sargent have me thinking seriously about giving it a try. I'm 6'1" and about 240. Not sure if my extra heft would make the Russell a much better choice for me. I think if I get the Sargent, I will wait until the have the rear seat done. Do you have any pictures of the seat on your bike?

I can say that at 5-11 185lbs I love my new Sargent. I've had them on other bikes and shape usually like stock but better comfort. I was suprised to see my FJR Sargent seat wider than stock with little "wings" similar but not as large or pronounced as the Russell. I also like how the Sargent is level, taking out the slope toward tank. I've had recent hip surgery and bad disks in low back and the added width/support really helps. If you're a big guy the Russell looks like it can accomadate a large arse but I like the looks,storage and price (got my rider only for $299) also I like Sargent using their own seat pan which will also allow for you to send it in or the stock later to Russell, Mayer etc and still ride on the other if you don't like the Sargent.Just my .02

Steve
The things that you mentioned about the Sargent have me thinking seriously about giving it a try. I'm 6'1" and about 240. Not sure if my extra heft would make the Russell a much better choice for me. I think if I get the Sargent, I will wait until the have the rear seat done. Do you have any pictures of the seat on your bike?
I think you'd like the Sargent. I got the intro $299, you'd have to pay $349 + $19 shipping but still worth it I think. I don't have any photos but will take some in the next day or two.

The Sargent really is wider and more comfortable than stock, also the slope toward tank is gone.

Remember you can always send the stock to Russell/Mayer and ride on the Sargent 'til it gets back then sell the Sargent. Sargents always sell easy on owner forum,s not so with Corbin.

Steve

Why would you skip the spring? At 230lb the web suggests it for me.
1. i wouldn't

2. yes it does

A. I'm on my 2nd Russell (different bike for #1) and consider it one of the top investments both times (return on investment)

B. Seargents is nearly as expensive as a Russell but without the confirmed history that the Russell has after years and miles and riders and smiles. IIUC, the Seargents isn't exactly a "custom" seat but more of a custom cover on a seat from their pick list.

I've almost 40K on a Russell Day-Long with "over-load spring" (abt. 250 avoirdupois) and have nothing but praise for long-haul riding. There is one caveat, imo, for those who don't ride out tanks of gas at a sitting -- and that may be the support design of the seat may limit putting your leg to the ground when stopped. So, if you just ride around locally, it may be more burden than benefit -- but, then, you prolly wouldn't be here asking..... :blink:

I also had a seat redone once for a bike (non-FJR) I was fixing-up by Sargent and they did a fine, quality job too.

I've got a little over 20,000 miles on my Sargent on my '05 and have not had one uncomfortable moment on it. It looks as good as the day they made it. Quality folks putting out a real quality product. I particularly like the expanded seating area that gives you the option of varying your riding position.

As promised photos of my Sargent for '06-'07 FJR:

SargentFJR4.jpg

SargentFJR3.jpg

SargentFJR2.jpg

SargentFJR1.jpg

I got the rider portion only, rear is stock and I didn't feel like taking the tailbag off for photo's, sorry wife out of town and kids in bath but don't worry the fashion police would be o.k. with the setup and considering I never have a passenger or take off the tailbag I like having only spent $300 for a good looking, comfortable seat that is wider, more supportive and level not sliding me into the tank.

Steve