Saddle Sore + CFO + EOM

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 to all. Awesome trip!

Enjoyed riding & hanging with ya Rooster. See ya again soon. :)
No doubt. I had a great time riding with my "regular" riding buds and meeting a few new ones. We'll do it again soon!

Great shots and RR. What kinda of camera are you using for taken while riding shots?
Most of the time I use my little Nikon Coolpix (the Wisconsin farm shot, rain shots thru the shield). I keep it in the tank bag and it's tethered in case I drop it.

Sometimes I put my "good" camera in or on top of the tank bag (Olympus E-500) and snap shots at slower road speeds (those above in Kentucky).

For still shots (well, shots when I'm still) I use the Olympus.

Last edited by a moderator:
As it happened, fljab's route converged with mine there so we split a room Sunday night.

04_Sunday%20(3)_zpsce605771.jpg
WooHoo! My jacket showed up today! I thought it was a goner.

FYI to all, I had my Gerbings heated liner on the back of the bike when I came in, but couldn't find it in the morning when I got ready to go. Searched everywhere twice, thrice, no luck, so left name/contact info at the desk and they called me when we were below Lansing that a guest had found it; I must have dropped it somewhere along the path to/from the room. Dang, I would have hated losing that one!

WooHoo! My jacket showed up today! I thought it was a goner.

FYI to all, I had my Gerbings heated liner on the back of the bike when I came in, but couldn't find it in the morning when I got ready to go. Searched everywhere twice, thrice, no luck, so left name/contact info at the desk and they called me when we were below Lansing that a guest had found it; I must have dropped it somewhere along the path to/from the room. Dang, I would have hated losing that one!
I'm glad it showed up! Talk about a bummer :glare:

It was great meeting you Jim and great to ride with you. We'll have to do it again. If you ever make it thru my neck of the woods be sure to give me a call.

Here we go again.

Day 8 of my 12 day trip was Wednesday and I think I took the most photos that day. I left the Motel 6 in Kingston, TN headed for Hendersonville, NC by the a scenic route. I'd upload a map of my route but I don't know how. Sorry. I'll figure that out another time. I basically rode to Deals Gap then picked up the Dragon route from the EOM site and did the first half in reverse. Clear? I thought so.

Warning to truckers (unless you're a trucker on a bike like me)

08_TNNC1.jpg

08_TNNC2.jpg

08_TNNC8.jpg

Fort Loudoun Dam near Lenoir, TN

08_TNNC11.jpg

Carmichael Greer Bridge (over the Fort Loudoun Dam)

08_TNNC17.jpg

Deals Gap after riding The Dragon ~ I made it in one piece! And enjoyed it even more than I expected.

08_TNNC22.jpg

08_TNNC18.jpg

08_TNNC19.jpg

08_TNNC22b.jpg

08_TNNC24.jpg

After Deals Gap I rode some great roads and saw some great sights including Cheoah Lake

08_TNNC36.jpg

08_TNNC37.jpg

08_TNNC46.jpg

08_TNNC49.jpg

This was a fun road. I think I was on parts of it two or three times by the time I went home.

08_TNNC53.jpg

Christmas Tree Farm

08_TNNC62.jpg

Happy Trails indeed!

08_TNNC55.jpg

Pit stop

08_TNNC82.jpg

08_TNNC101.jpg

08_TNNC92.jpg

08_TNNC102.jpg

08_TNNC111.jpg

08_TNNC125.jpg

08_TNNC128.jpg

An entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway isn't a place for trucks

08_TNNC131.jpg

A pull out on the BRP (I rode the BRP a couple of days later, this was just a quick turn around)

08_TNNC135.jpg

08_TNNC161.jpg

And settled in for the night in Hendersonville

08_TNNC169.jpg

Somehow I missed this thread until tonight. Great write up Jesse. I'm also interested in how you got the shots while riding.

I enjoyed our rides and conversations at CFO and wished I could have done EOM also. Your SpotWalla map was also fun to follow.

Hope to see you next year.

Tom
I enjoyed it too, Tom. I'm planning to make CFO next year. I had a great time there and met a lot of nice folks.

Ok, here are the last of the photos. I won't bore you with a blow by blow report. On days 9, 10, and 11 I rode all over western North Carolina, most of the time with Georgia Roller and a few hours with Pegsparks and FJRBandit. Among other roas we hit the Cherohala Skyway, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and The Rattler. Then on day 12 I rode home along with Winewhisperer, Pegsparks and FJRBandit.

The trip map: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=55ac504d47190a5f8

Delayed on the way to met GoergiaRoller in Murphy, NC

09_US64_Cherohala_21.jpg

It was a foggy morning

09_US64_Cherohala_26.jpg

09_US64_Cherohala154_CR.jpg

09_US64_Cherohala2.jpg

09_US64_Cherohala10.jpg

09_US64_Cherohala127_CR.jpg

09_US64_Cherohala134_CR.jpg

09_US64_Cherohala124.jpg

GeorgiaRoller and I tried our luck on a Forestry Service Road. All's well that ends well.

09_US64_Cherohala137_CR.jpg

09_US64_Cherohala140.jpg

09_US64_Cherohala207_CR.jpg

09_US64_Cherohala215.jpg

Me at Bald River Falls

09_US64_Cherohala277.jpg

09_US64_Cherohala279.jpg

09_US64_Cherohala_210_CR.jpg

Hooker Falls in Dupont State Forest

10_EOM22_CR.jpg

10_EOM24_CR.jpg

Triple Falls in Dupont State Forest

10_EOM32_CR.jpg

10_EOM77_CR.jpg

10_EOM83_CR.jpg

Lunch at Mountain Fresh Grocery in Highlands, NC

10_EOM79.jpg

10_EOM121_CR.jpg

10_EOM128_CR.jpg

10_EOM129_CR.jpg

GeorgiaRoller, Pegsparks, FJRBandit and earthrooster on the BRP

10_EOM131.jpg

10_EOM133.jpg

Graveyard Fields

10_EOM136_CR.jpg

Lower Falls at Graveyard Fields

10_EOM144_CR.jpg

10_EOM150copy.jpg

10_EOM156_CR.jpg

10_EOM158.jpg

11_EOM6_CR.jpg

Following Pegsparks, FJRBandit and Winewhisperer toward home

12_EOM3.jpg

Washing 4559 miles worth of bugs and grime off the bike

13_home3.jpg

And the obligatory photos killboy.com photos. The first two are on The Dragon and the last is on the Cherohala Skyway

killboy_2012_09_dragon1.jpg

killboy_2012_09_dragon2.jpg

killboy_2012_09_Cherohala.jpg

What else can I say? It was a fantastic trip. I hung out with old friends and made new ones. I'm especially looking forward to returning to CFO and the friendly folks up there.

Signing off until the next adventure.

~earthrooster

Me at Bald River Falls

09_US64_Cherohala277.jpg

~earthrooster
I want you to know that I find this photo especially offensive. The reference to Bald River Falls with your ahhh haircut is just a little over the edge. Since I am Follicly Challenged (Bald) I am so upset that I will have to boycott all your future posts.

NOT! That is awesome! I have heard so many "bald" jokes when I come home with pics of that area! Oh, they named the falls after you? And all those mountains that are called Bald.

It is unfair to make comparisons, all posts should be enjoyed for what they are, but your time with the Georgia Roller has been well spent. Your photography is excellent, your reports are wonderful. I have enjoyed this entire report and all the pics. I thank you for sharing this.

Do I understand that Killboy is taking pics on the Cherohala also now?

Me at Bald River Falls

09_US64_Cherohala277.jpg

~earthrooster
I want you to know that I find this photo especially offensive. The reference to Bald River Falls with your ahhh haircut is just a little over the edge. Since I am Follicly Challenged (Bald) I am so upset that I will have to boycott all your future posts.

NOT!

LOL, yeah, I know about that particular ailment. A few years ago I decided that balding wasn't sexy. I've shaved my head since. :p

It is unfair to make comparisons, all posts should be enjoyed for what they are, but your time with the Georgia Roller has been well spent. Your photography is excellent, your reports are wonderful. I have enjoyed this entire report and all the pics. I thank you for sharing this.

Do I understand that Killboy is taking pics on the Cherohala also now?
Yes, they are. I was surprised to see them.

And thanks. GeorgiaRoller and I had planned to ride together for a couple of days. We've ridden together before but always with other people. As it turns out we have almost identical styles and goals. Have fun on great roads, find interesting places, stop and take photos whenever the mood strikes. And we like the same sorts of natural places.

And he gave me a tip (using a neutral density filter) which enabled me to take decent waterfall shots even when the natural light wasn't great. Some of my waterfall shots (Triple and Hooker Falls) were with a naked lens but at Lower Falls I borrowed his filter since it fit my lens. he was kind enough to share (Thanks again!)

As for my photos, Nature did most of the work. ;)