Saddlebag separation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brutane

Reaction score
Hello fellow FJR pilots,

I have an '04 FJR with saddlebags that are trying hard to shed their decorative painted shells from the underlying hard cases. The shells have not as yet separated completely, but they seem destined to if left unchecked.

Other than the flimsy hinges at the bottom of the cases what holds the shell and the case together???

Adhesive or some type of unseen mechanical securing device which I have been unable to find. I live in a hot humid environment and the FJR has logged 77k miles so far. I'm assuming any adhesive holding the shells on is 11 years old and will have dried out and become hardened with age makiing it less likely to stand up to all weather driving and Interstate speeds.

I'm about to squirt a liberal amount of Liquid Nails between the shell and the case of both bags and apply several unused weight lifting plates to their respective tops (while lying on their sides) to insure adequate adhesion between parts.

Is this a bad idea?

Thanks for any help

Steve Pearce

iirc, the factory uses adhesive to bond the inner and outer portions. I think someone on here had a similar issue some time ago, but cannot recall how it was resolved. Hopefully another will have a better recollection.

If you can, use some heat, like a hair dryer and remove the outer shell completely. It is glued on. Clean it up, use new glue and let it set. It'll be good for another 11 or more years.

They are held together with a rubbery adhesive. I think a thin layer of Liquid nails or RTV silcone rubber would work well when spread into the separated locations and then weighted down until cured..

Thanks Hotrodzilla, good idea about getting the parts separated enough to clean up... after 11 years it's accumulated more than a little crud between the pieces.

Yeah, sure... Caliente Rodrigo can tell you how to break your bags...

Follow my link above and learn how to put them back together again (for good). ;)

I'ze juss kiddin' anyways.

Maybe, considering the latch screw loctite, side bag Toecutter pins, preventive CCT replacements, and spline lubrication that we all subscribe to, we should be tearing our sidebag lids off and doing preventive glue maintenance before the horrifying carnage occurs to them of scratching the lids!!

Oh... the humanity!

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy Cow You Guys,

I'm blessed with a pulchritude of great responses... all appreciated.

Special shout out to Fred W. for the visuals I craved.

Garauld, thanks for not dismissing my proposed use of Liquid Nails... it's what I have around the house. Maybe a trip to the local big box for some flexible RTV would be an even better idea.

Thanks again guys

I'd rather use the 3M foam tape than the RTV. I had both options open to me but opted for the former and think it was a far better choice. But you always have your own (choice)

Mine separated, too, and the foam tape SUCKED as far as getting them back together. In my case the tape was too thin in some areas, and the lids never came completely together. They're on there, but they look like they're not quite....

.... or environmental conditions like typical temperature and humidity differences between NH and FL.

Sorry for the delay in responding to the new options proposed. Work and family does impose limits on my cycling hobby.

With regard to the relative merits and disadvantages between RTV & Scotch foam double sided tape, I don't wish to take sides because I think both are suitable replacements.

My bags are 2004 vintage and the shells appear to have been secured with some type of flat (non-foam) double sided tape originally. I know some bags looks as if they had been secured with roofers tar from a caulk gun. I opted for the RTV... mainly because I had a fair amount on hand and no double sided tape immediately available. It remains to be seen if it will be a satisfactory fix. I'll let you know.

I'm still scratching my head about why the bag shells decided to try and deaprt after so many years on the raod. Reasonable service life of the adhesive aside, I think I may have stumbled on a conclusion specific to my circumstances and perhaps others on this forum. On a late May trip to Orlando from south Georgia the bags were "OVER" stuffed due to my wife riding pilion and accommodating all her "necessaries". I "almost" never cram the bags full for fear of water leakage, hinge or lock failure. It seems the 632 mile round trip in 100 degree heat and 80mph Interstate speeds PLUS the bulging bags contents applied too much stress on the shells retaining adhesive tapes after so many years and they gave it up to the stress. Just a thought. I hope the RTV will remain compliant and flexible enough to allow at least some tight packing of the bags in the future.

All your comments and insights are greatly appreciated, and the speed of the internet responses still amazes me how such widely separated but like minded individuals have an opportunity share, mentor, enlighten, gripe, and generally make a cohesive community. Thanks again

Steev Pearce

Heat + pressure = logical theorem. Wife's necessaries = far too much stuff = proven many times over.