Same Dollars

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see new BMW's as refined and elegant examples of precision machinery and electronics.

Treat them with care and they'll bring you joy...

And the FJR as a hammer. Ride it hard. Pound roads, miles, BMW's... lol

Change the oil on time is all it asks. It's like a sport touring KLR.

I'll take the survival tool. :)

I get it. About made up my mind to sell the RT. Going to be a hard sell since most BMW riders want to see dealer maintenance records and in 12 years my RT has never been to a shop of any kind not even for the first service at 600 miles. Also, I removed the pos linked servo assist ABS system and I like it that way but a potential buyer probably won't. Have been to 3 Yamaha dealers and they just don't take beemers in on trade because they can't sell them just wholesale them out and the ABS is an issue.

Thanks for the responses, I value your input.

Jim

I bet if you posted this same question on a BMW forum you would get the exact opposite answers.
I know the BMW is a great motorcycle, I have no doubt of that. But personally, I would not buy the BMW if it were cheaper. In fact if someone GAVE me the BMW I would ride it directly to my Yamaha dealer and trade it in on a new FJR.

YMMV
Actually I did post a similar question on a BMW forum and the surprise was that the majority of respondents favored the FJR and for many of the same reasons you guys bring up. They are aware of how low BMW reliability numbers are and how good Yamaha reliability ratings are. I think Consumer Reports was referenced.

I bet if you posted this same question on a BMW forum you would get the exact opposite answers.
I know the BMW is a great motorcycle, I have no doubt of that. But personally, I would not buy the BMW if it were cheaper. In fact if someone GAVE me the BMW I would ride it directly to my Yamaha dealer and trade it in on a new FJR.

YMMV
Actually I did post a similar question on a BMW forum and the surprise was that the majority of respondents favored the FJR and for many of the same reasons you guys bring up. They are aware of how low BMW reliability numbers are and how good Yamaha reliability ratings are. I think Consumer Reports was referenced.
Am I the only one who finds this hilarious?

AND yet, they continue to buy them...I'll never understand that.
I think BMW has somehow become a kind of status symbol in some people's minds and I think the dumbass factor also plays a big part in this. I think fewer people are into doing their own maintenance and BMW is on board with this totally. Couple weeks ago I visited the local BMW dealer to buy an alternator belt for my '93RS and the parts guy just assumed I wanted it installed. The look on his face was one of disbelief when I told him I would take care of it. People today just have a different mind set than past generations. Oh, paid too damn much for the belt come to think of it. $34! Their new wetheads have a maintenance light that illuminates when it's time to take it in for service. You can't put out the light yourself you have to pay the dealer for an hour shop time to hook up his diagnostic computer and reset the light. I told the store owner that I would just use the old black electrical tape method and extinguish the light myself. He kind of treats me like I'm some kind of present day neanderthal. Of course he knows he will never sell me a new bike not in this lifetime anyway.

AND yet, they continue to buy them...I'll never understand that.

If I could afford one, there would be a brand spaking new R1200GSA in my garage. Current BMWs come with a lot of cool modern gadgets and technology and pretty decent performance.

I never had anything but great performance and great service from my servo assisted, linked ABS on my RT. If I wanted a bike where the factory braking system had been screwed with, I'd defer and get another airhead. RT's a great bike, but you're buying complex technology in a line where service is at a premium and the warranty isn't great. I'd rather have plentiful, inexpensive service, and died-and-went-to-heaven warranty availability. I'm going to the mountains for a 10 hour riding day Saturday. I used to have to have a plan to get the bike over to Chattanooga or up to Ellijay if something went sproing. Not any more. Service shops for Yamaha are plentiful, and short of a flat or a wreck, I'm ever so unlikely to need one.

See'in an FJR iz much mor powerful, reliable, 'n haz proper forks (That give one feed back.) I'd take an FJR mahself. (Though they do lack the euro poseur appeal.)

What is a BMW?
Theyz the most fragile, highest maintenance, least reliable bikes out there.

Latest posts