Same Dollars

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammess

Reaction score
OK, I got another question. If a 2016 BMW R1200RT was the same exact same price OTD as a new FJR which bike would you buy? Again both bikes same price. Hypothetically of course since realistically we all know this will never happen.

I'm going with the FJR since the URL at the top of the page includes those three letters and the letters "BMW" don't.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Could I have an RS instead of the RT?
Yes!

I also own a '93 R1100RSL that is actually a new motorcycle. It was part of a collection and had never even been started since it left the factory in June of '93. I found it 3 years ago and now it has 5700 miles and would be hard to part with. Can't say the same for my '04 R1150RT.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet if you posted this same question on a BMW forum you would get the exact opposite answers.

I know the BMW is a great motorcycle, I have no doubt of that. But personally, I would not buy the BMW if it were cheaper. In fact if someone GAVE me the BMW I would ride it directly to my Yamaha dealer and trade it in on a new FJR.

YMMV

...just considering maintenance cost alone, there can only be one correct answer. Think about it...
That and,

1. I like to travel and the rarely BMW dealerships bother me.

2. I'm still pissed about the way BMW handled the flaming final drive issue.

My good riding buddy bought a new 2014 R1200RT. We traded several times on long road trips so I got a good amount of seat time on it. It is a great motorcycle but not my cup-o-tea. Way too many electronic gew-gaws that are totally distracting and IMO don't add to the motorcycling experience in a good way. Comfortable, powerful, handles well. Price not withstanding, I would definitely go for the FJR (which I did). Interestingly, at stops I would ask Bob if he wanted to trade back (kinda wanted to get back on the Feej). He said no, he's not finished enjoying the FJR. It took a couple of times to pry him off of it...

Dan

I'll see your RT and raise you a GTL.

I owned both a Gen II FJR and a 2012 K1600GTL during the same period back maybe 4 - 5 years ago. Had to have the BMW. I'd had a long string of them, including R1200GS, several K1300S, G650Xmotos, etc....

If they were even money OTD today, I would choose the FJR. The K1600GTL lasted less than 8 months in my stable. It reminded me of my ST1100 on steroids. Every ride would end with "Wow, what wonderful technogadgets! Wow, what wonderful on board storage! Wow, what wonderful weather protection!" Every ride on the FJR ends with "Wow!!!"

The saying does NOT go: "You meet the nicest people on a BMW."

I'd buy an FJR.