San Diego Area Shop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meosborn

Reaction score
I'm just about to transfer to the San Diego, CA area and would like to know of a good, reliable shop. My FJR is just under 24k miles and I'm thinking that I will have the valves adjusted soon. Too many variables to just trust it to any random shop. I was thinking about trying it myself but I will be moving into an apartment and won't have anything in the way of garage space. Not completely sure that my mechanical skills are up the the task anyhow.

Also, does anyone know how much this service should cost me?

You might want to check into South Bay Motorsports located in national City. I purchased my bike from them and they assembled it perfectly including all the fine details. This at least tells me their service department is conscientious and thorough. However, since they are 500 miles from home I must warn you I have never had my bike serviced there.

Thanks, it's a start at least. Anyone else have any opinions of good San Diego area shops.

I'm curious Ric, why did you get your bike in National City?

I'd second on the Southbay shop. I grew up in Chula Vista and that place has been there as long as I can remember. That shop is also one of the only two yamaha 5 star certified shops in San Deigo county.

In Rancho Cucamonga CA, 1.5 hour north of SD is Yamaha of Cucamonga. I have had regular association with them for over 20 years. Maintain my 05 FJR, have do 30k maintenance work. IMHO the company is the best of the best Yamaha dealers in the USA. The co-owner is a certified Yamaha mechanic and the head mechanic, Bill, is the best mechanic in the USA. They have maintained my various bikes over the years, XS1100, YX Radian, Royal Star, Royal Star Venture and VStar 1100. When you go there you can be certain the work they said they performed was expertely accomplished. It is worth the ride up there to use them. If you contact them at 9099872411 ask for Jay(owner) and tell them TurboDave suggested that you call.

good luck. You are moving into a great area and there is great riding out here. Hope to meet up with you when you get here.

San Diego has a lot to live up to. I'm moving from "pashnit" country. Near where I-80 and Hwy 49 cross east of Sacramento. Of course, considering the weather, SD has Sac beat hands down. When I was down there on House Hunting Leave it was about 76 degrees and it was 106 in Sac.

I appreciate the help. Either one would work since my brother live in Placentia, CA and I hope to be going up there a lot anyhow. Another excuse could be useful (he has 4 kids that I haven't seen much of over the last 10 years).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have all my bikes serviced at Fun Bike Ctr. Although they have a reputation for surcharging new bikes (they have met the LA CycleSports OTD price 3x - you just need cash) their service department has never let me down. Talk to Ian - he is one of the service writers. They are moving into new digs in September.

Mark

1ST what city r u moving to.based on your navy seal is it oceanside.I know many places in town

San Diego has a lot to live up to.  I'm moving from "pashnit" country.  Near where I-80 and Hwy 49 cross east of Sacramento.  Of course, considering the weather, SD has Sac beat hands down.  When I was down there on House Hunting Leave it was about 76 degrees and it was 106 in Sac.
I appreciate the help.  Either one would work since my brother live in Placentia, CA and I hope to be going up there a lot anyhow.  Another excuse could be useful (he has 4 kids that I haven't seen much of over the last 10 years).
1st, get ready for gridlock. SD's traffic seems to have quadrupled in the last few years.

2nd, you're in for twisty withdrawals. The SD area has not nearly as many fun roads as up north. Those that there are, seem to always be clogged with HD's and crotch rockets. Same as here in the middle land. Really good roads start to pick-up in SLO and get better as you go north, it seems.

3rd, nice weather for sure. Multiple Babeosis, too. Get your eyeglass prescription checked prior to arrival.... ;)

1ST what city r u moving to.based on your navy seal is it oceanside.I know many places in town
If I was a Marine it would probably be Oceanside. I'm moving to San Diego, Mission Valley to be specific. I've got 9 months of training and then I transfer again. Basically I've got a 9 month paid vacation thanks to Uncle Sam. :beach:

1st, get ready for gridlock. SD's traffic seems to have quadrupled in the last few years.
I'm actually looking to give the trolley system a try and ride a bike a lot. After 3 years of recruiting duty I need the excercise. :weight:

2nd, you're in for twisty withdrawals. The SD area has not nearly as many fun roads as up north.
That's what I remember but, then again, I didn't have a bike the last time that I was stationed there.

3rd, nice weather for sure.
My favorite part. :yahoo:

Meosborn - I used to live in Tierrasanta which is close to Mission Valley along I-15. Anyway, I ordered my 05 FJR from South Bay because they were one of the few dealers who would order a Calif. version below sticker. It saved me $1200 plus I got to break it in on a nice ride home up Highway 1.

You will find a San Diegan's definition of a "mountain" quite humorous.

One priority should be a ride through the hills to Santa Ynez and visit Dudley's bakery.

Meosborn - I used to live in Tierrasanta which is close to Mission Valley along I-15. Anyway, I ordered my 05 FJR from South Bay because they were one of the few dealers who would order a Calif. version below sticker. It saved me $1200 plus I got to break it in on a nice ride home up Highway 1.

One priority should be a ride through the hills to Santa Ynez and visit Dudley's bakery.
...and then continue on up to Julian to get some hot, fresh apple pie, a'la mode of course.. :)

Rick

I've been going to Motoworld of ElCajon for years. They take care of me. I had an issue with the FJR a few weeks out of warranty, and they got it covered under warranty. Good, thoughtful mechanics. House of Motorcycles is the one to avoid. I don't know how their shop is, but their sales people are bottom of the food chain.

I haven't had a good experience with The House of Motorcycles sales department (they tried to add a $2956 "setup" fee on top of MSRP) so consequently I haven't even given their service department a chance.

My recommendation is for South Bay Motorcycle. They've taken good care of me and my bike so far. I haven't been to any other dealerships for service yet so I have nothing to compare against. They appear to be very straightforward folks and as long as that continues I won't try anyplace else.

Talk to either of the two Michael's. I'd guesstimate the distance is only about 15 miles from where you'll be staying...

South Bay Motorsports

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know but im feeling a san deigo boys ride to the bakery.julian then out to borrego springs. and no its not to hot :)

I dont know but im feeling a san deigo boys ride to the bakery.julian then out to borrego springs. and no its not to hot 
Aw man, you're going to go just before I get there. :bye2: Not that anyone would have a problem going again I assume. (moving on Oct 14th in case you were wondering)

Looks like South Bay is getting the most votes. Good enough for me! I have trust issues when it comes to having work done on my bike. Of course, I've got to give them a chance to earn the trust.

I look forward to hanging out with the southern FJRs. Thanks for the feedback and I'll give a holler when I move.

Mark

Meosborn - I used to live in Tierrasanta which is close to Mission Valley along I-15.  Anyway, I ordered my 05 FJR from South Bay because they were one of the few dealers who would order a Calif. version below sticker.  It saved me $1200 plus I got to break it in on a nice ride home up Highway 1. 

...and then continue on up to Julian to get some hot, fresh apple pie, a'la mode of course.. :)

Rick
FJR ride sounds good to me! Unfortunately I've been on the road quite a bit and won't be able to participate until sometime in mid-Sept (17th or later). If anyone plans a ride I'm a willing participant but can't play anytime too soon... - Mike