SANDY, Please be gentile....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sending my employees home (1:30 est). One of my employees can't get home because trees are blocking both ends of the road she lives on. The wind is starting to crank and become more steady at higher velocities with gusts on top of that.

Not knocking the severity of that monster, but the local weather klowns are predicting we are going to get hit pretty good way da heck over here. Anything to get in the news I guess.

You east coasters take care..

We are getting water into the boiler building through places that have never leaked before. Concerned about some of the stuff it is leaking on like the generator excitation cabinets. Lot of wind and rain out there!

Is that generator excitation cabinet anywhere near where the sh!t hits the fan?

Just wondering and standing wayyyyy back.
Nah. the fans are on the other end of the building. Water and electricity generally don't play well together. We have put tarps over the enclosures. We are still generating and I haven't heard of any area outages....yet. The worst is yet to come, though.

We are getting water into the boiler building through places that have never leaked before. Concerned about some of the stuff it is leaking on like the generator excitation cabinets. Lot of wind and rain out there!

Nah. the fans are on the other end of the building. Water and electricity generally don't play well together. We have put tarps over the enclosures. We are still generating and I haven't heard of any area outages....yet. The worst is yet to come, though.
First earthquakes and now biblical storms. Time to throw Jonah overboard and make that storm settle down...

Most of us were affected by Hurricane Irene and some places are still recovering from her tantrum. With those memories fresh most people are taking Sandy seriously and preparing for the worst. We have supplies of fuel, food, water, and :drinks: for a week or so. I'm prepared.

Two of my daughters have called to say that it is raining hard and the wind is blowing pretty hard. One lives 30 miles south and the other about 30 miles east. It is still very calm at my place. Kind of eerie how calm it is.

I have a couple of very large pine trees in front of the house that I offered as a sacrifice to Irene, but she didn't take them, so I offer them to Sandy as long as she pushes them away from the house.

First earthquakes and now biblical storms. Time to throw Jonah Fred W overboard and make that storm settle down...
Fixed.

Well they let everyone out of work @ 1:00 today to go home and batten down the hatches. First stop was Lowe's. As shit luck would have it they received a shipment of generators this morning. 4 peeps in line 6 on hold next to cash registers and I manage to get the second to last one left. Two other peeps deciding "weather" (Pun) to grab the last one. I think I could power up the street with this baby. As of now I still have power but I don't expect it to last long. she's a howling out there like mad and and there is another 3 hours to go till she gets close. Expecting extreme flooding in the low lying areas. Luckily that ain't me. Now if the 75 foot pines can avoid my domain I will be very pleased.

Take care all who are in Sandy's path.

Dave & Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
Central NY- 2pm

Starting to have some gusts now, light rain so far. People around here are definitely taking this WAY more serious than any other storm or hurricane I can remember.

Grocery stores here are now a total disaster, my True Value store sold out of generators 1/2hr after opening (we had 2 full pallets of Westinghouse's 7 and 8K's, all gone (btw- we did NOT jack or gouge any pricing!). Kerosun heaters are gone (we only stock a few of those anyway as the popularity of those has diminished). LED flashlights and batteries almost wiped out. Dang, we are getting pounded (by pre-storm customers) like never before in our history (and my store is on the 3rd generation, grandfather started back in 1924, and no not same buildings of course!). Speaking of which... hope we actually have a building left after this one, we are smack dab right in the middle of the projected path :eek:

First earthquakes and now biblical stormsForums. Time to throw Jonah Fred W overboard and make that storm settle down...
Fixed.
Fixed mo better

My main plan other than to have my Honda Genset ready...

Last January we had a 70+ mph "Micro Burst" (at least that's what the experts called it) come thru and took my sled trailer out to the road and smashed it up. Well that was an enclosed 2 place trailer, so my dumb ass goes out and buys a bigger 4-place 28ft trailer (pictured below). I currently have 2 Renegades inside but for the amount of wind it can catch that's fools gold for even a tropical storm (which I'm quickly hoping for after it hits land).

My plan (and I will kindly take suggestions) is to hitchup the trailer to my pickup, face the "V-Nose" or front of the trailer heading South, SE?t and block the crap out of all 4 wheels. The sleds are insured but the trailer isn't unless it's hooked to my truck... another reason why it's being hooked up. I also have a 30ft shrunk wrap boat and 35ft 5th wheel camper off to the side of my property next to the woods (tree fallings?). Well can't really move those now when the ground is so wet, so they're not in the mix of pre-protection but my new sled trailer is!

56160852.jpg

I was in D.C. this morning and it's pretty much closed down. The worst part is supposed to hit here this evening through the night. Power is still on around here; hard to say for how long. Heard some reports of roads flooding in the D.C. area after I got out. Hope everyone manages to ride this one out unharmed.

The nuclear plant I work at is right in the path of this thing. Unit 2 is about 200 yards from the projected eye of the storm track. Fun.

Wanna see something really unusual?

Go on the Connecticut 511 web site and zoom in on the map and click on some of the the traffic web cams on I-95...

Some of the cams are already down due to power loss. But the ones that are still up and running show nearly deserted roads during a time when there is usually bumper to bumper traffic.

People are really takin' this storm seriously. :eek:

I'm about 3 miles from a barrier island on the north Massachusetts coast. The Island is being evacuated for fear of not being able to provide emergency services out there if needed. Plum Island has been losing houses at a regular rate out there as it seems the Atlantic is in the process of claiming the shoreline. I hope she's kind this week.

Wind and rain have been picking up steadily this afternoon. We just had some flickering of lights so I may be in flashlight and candlelight mode soon.

Hope everyone else is safe.- really worried about our mid-Atlantic peeps out there. Seems like they're getting the worst of it.

As far as the trailer KJ, that's best you can do if you can't hide it inside. More than once during my truck driving days when it turned to shit I'd do the same thing, as would others.

Then find a solid structure to hide out in.

Best of luck too all of you. That is one huge, mean bitch coming at ya. :eek:

Born and raised in NYC. I think it's the best city on earth to be from. That's FROM! :D Glad I don't live there anymore. Something like this is likely to flood the subway system. That will turn into a Big Pile of Ugly. :eek: Good luck to you all up there. As someone who is quite familiar with power being out for a week at a time, don't worry the smell stops being bad after a while. :)

Thinking about y'all with no small amount of concern

It's almost - dare I say it? - pleasant here in Freddy Beach. Like that eerie calm before the storm.

We'll get Sandy's dregs in the form of heavy rain and wind gusts.

Please, please post up soonest to let us know how you fared.

It's 6pm in Thurmont and the winds are gusting about 40mph already. Power has flickered a few times but has not gone out. My father has some trees around his house that we were just looking at the other day and talking about cutting back. Kind of wish we would have gone ahead and done that for my own peace of mind. I hope he doesn't have any problems but I think there's going to be a lot of downed trees around here.

My road's been blocked at least 4 times now. Fortunately FEMA has their headquarters up here so they send out a wheel loader not long after they drop.

My roof started leaking at midnight last night. A branched dropped and put a hole in it. Got it covered before the real stuff hit.

Generator's been on since noon.

Not looking forward to the night with the constant winds getting over 50. Some of the gust sound like a low flying jet!

Can't imagine what it like near the coast!

Latest posts