Saved my ass

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear you're okay. When I have a close call, I always analyze what I could have done differently to avoid the situation. Have you considered the possibility that you target fixated on the rock, thus hitting it? We should try to learn something from close calls.
Going back to the scene in your mind, do you think pushing hard on one side of the bars could have let you avoid the rock?

WOW! I just heard about this last night! You must be the same guy my nephew and his wife stopped to check on! He noticed that there was no cell service there and turned around. I have an '05 FJR and he rides an '07 FZ1, we rode through there early this year on a trip up to Oregon. Ditto on the amazing abilities of the FJR. Really glad you came thru all in one piece!

I remember your nephew, one of about five riders who stopped during the 4 hours I awaited the AAA tow truck. Be sure to thank him for me.

Way to keep your wits about you Paste. Glad to hear the only damage is to the bike.

BTW...We Want Pics, We Want Pics, We Want Pics... :clapping:

"The rim was bent to the extent that the wheel would not roll, once my speed dropped, blocking itself against the brake"
The front locked up while you were still moving, yet you didn't go down? Umm, no -- don't buy it.
Wow, E-Ticket Ride, what's your point here??

I don't think Uncle Walt would approve of such skepticism. Perhaps some riders are just more skilled than others on this forum.

Just sayin.....

I'll try to post up a pic on Saturday, with the help of a friend who has a camera and is computer literate.

To clarify, the rim is significantly bent, however, it would still roll, with a very loud noise every time the bent area passed the brake. Without using the brakes the bike slowed quickly due to the difficulty the bent area had in passing the brake, eventually completly stopping the bike. Once stopped and without the aid of the force generated by 60-65mph, the bike would not roll past the bent portion of the rim, either via pushing efforts or when winched up on the tow truck's bed, which resulted in it being dragged onto the truck bed. If the wheel had immediately and completely locked, it would not have been a pretty site.

Also, please advise if you know where I can get a good deal on a new wheel.

I hit a chunk of concrete about the size of my helmet the first summer I own my bike, and it bent the shit out of my rim. Driving down the road with an SUV in front of me...he cleared the chunk of concrete. By the time I saw it, there wasn't much I could do other than to just keep the bike up. I had my wife on the back, and I think we both about shit ourselves. At least I was able to ride it home. I keep my distance when following behind an SUV now.

I sent the wheel to Frame Straight System for the rapair, they did a great job. www.framestraight.com

Last edited by a moderator:
"The rim was bent to the extent that the wheel would not roll, once my speed dropped, blocking itself against the brake"
The front locked up while you were still moving, yet you didn't go down? Umm, no -- don't buy it.
Wow, E-Ticket Ride, what's your point here??

I don't think Uncle Walt would approve of such skepticism. Perhaps some riders are just more skilled than others on this forum.

Just sayin.....
The point is simple. If the front is locked, and the bike is at speed, you are going down -- and I don't care if your last name is Rossi. However, the OP clarified that the wheel was still turning.

Wow! that could have gone much differently. An the pucker factor was I am sure approaching 10. Hope you keep toilet paper handy as I am sure it was needed....

Good to hear it turned out good for all concerned!!

Wow, I thought riding straight over a baby deer was cool! I remember my spontaneous thought - that if i hold on tight, anything is possible.

I still prefer soft targets. :assassin:

Seeking advice on buying a new wheel.

Anyone with experience buying from www.cyclepartsnation.com ?

They seem to offer the lowest price at $408.99.

Seeking advice on buying a new wheel.
Anyone with experience buying from www.cyclepartsnation.com ?

They seem to offer the lowest price at $408.99.
What, no love from these guys?

Toe: I thought about the framestraight, however, with the FJR being a fairly heavily front loaded bike, I'm debating the wisdom over saving $200 versus a re-worked wheel cratering at some point in the future.

Glad you survived to deal with this relatively minor problem.

Loaded, two-up in Idaho a couple of summers ago we hit a rock and bent both rims, the front worse than the rear. I thought we were going down but amazingly the tires, Michelin PR, held pressure and we pulled to the side. Front rim on left bent in about a half inch over a six inch span, the rear maybe a quarter inch over four inches.

Repair/straightening is doable and will save you significant $, but it is a process: pull wheels, dismount tires, pull rotors and wheel bearings, package and ship, wait, get them back, reassemble with (NEW ONLY) bearings, etc...

Mine was out of service about six weeks. By the time I got everything back right, I paid $300 for straightening and powder coating both wheels (they need to be repainted regardless because of the intense heat used in the process), $180 for pulling rotors and bearings then reinstalling, about $80 for new bearings and about $100 shipping both ways. But I like the color.

I used Viking Wheel Service in Wilmington, Delaware. Dealt with the owner, Wally, who was excellent.

Good luck on finding a replacement or getting it straightened. I would beware of buying any "used" wheel that you couldn't check the runout first to make sure it was okay.

Glad to hear you went over the rock and stayed up. When I hit the mule deer in July I hit it in the ribs at my headlight. No amount of "Yamaha Engineering" was going to get me "over" that sucker. :blink: Hindsight is always perfect but when I see that I am about to hit something like your rock I do a trick that I learned in the dirt and that is I push my upper body over the object that I am wanting to miss and steer the bike around it without having to lean to start the swerve. It is very quick and I have been able to miss many things...except deer. :(

Bill