Scotch or Bourbon?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We need a thread on the most embarrassing and painful experiences attributable to over consumption of spirits.

We need a thread on the most embarrassing and painful experiences attributable to over consumption of spirits.
I'll start

Leaving barracks one evening while on Okinawa with a belly full of whiskey, I neglected to put up the side stand on my XS650 and plowed into a taxi. Over the bars and through the windshield. I was laughing like an idiot but the Okinawan driver was not impressed. My first Sargent wasn't very happy either. That's the Short version.

Upon graduation from the Army's Recondo School up in the mountains above Denver, we were treated to a Steak and Beer dinner. I ate a steak and had a couple of beers and THEN the smart-a--ed sergeant challenged us recruits to a drinking contest. To be sure he won, we had to have a couple of "elimination" contests where I drank a couple more large glasses, and THEN they put TWO more glasses in front of us for the final contest. He beat me by a gulp or two, after which I ran outside and "projected" on the side of the Quonset Hut we were eating in. In their defense, they allowed me to eat a second steak and drink several more beers. LOL

As for the preferred drink, Laphroiag single malt.

As for Southern Comfort, always kept a bottle on hand during my college days. Nash had it right "Candy's dandy but liquor is quicker." The ladies loved it.
rolleyes.gif

As for bad memories of overindulgence -- memories fading with age can be an advantage.

As for the preferred drink, Laphroiag single malt.
As for Southern Comfort, always kept a bottle on hand during my college days. Nash had it right "Candy's dandy but liquor is quicker." The ladies loved it.
rolleyes.gif

As for bad memories of overindulgence -- memories fading with age can be an advantage.
Lick'er is quickest

Last edited by a moderator:
Irish for me. Current cabinet contents: Jameson, Bushmills, Paddy's (recently renamed). Me brother is comin' this weekend. Heaven help us!!

I found out at an early age that alcohal puts me in the hospital. Something about poisoning my system so I do not do it. I get away with a beer every now and then or a mixed drink (very weak long island tea is my favorite) but that is very seldom.

I think a lot just had to do with what your used to. My dad drank Old Taylor. 50/50 with water on ice. Was OK, but while in high school I tried the somewhat limited bourbons, Irish whiskeys, and scotch prepared the same way and ended up being a Chivas Regal guy long before I turned 21. It is really the only blended Scotch I care to drink, my  palate unfortunately got into the single malts, and spoiled me. 

Oddly most Irish whiskeys,  even the cheaper ones, are fine with me now, so being po, that's mostly what I consume now. My son usually buys me a bottle of Oban 14 for Christmas, which is my favorite scotch. Someone just gave me a bottle of Dewars for my birthday...it's OK, but Chivas would have been better. ;) My cousin left me a bottle of Clan McGregor...can't drink it....

I have tried the various small batch bourbons so popular now, still rather have that $15 bottle of Irish 🍀 :)

Just received a bottle of Balvenie Double Wood from the wife for my BD. Yippie!

It’s definitely what you are used to.  But even that preference can change over time.

I had a bad scotch experience as a teenager that put me off of it for a long time.  Then later in life I tried some single malts with coworkers and decided I liked them in small doses.

Then even later in life I discovered what good Bourbon tastes like and I don’t drink Scotch anymore.  I like a nice smooth but oakey Scotch like Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, but can’t afford that except on special occasions.  Eagle Rare is a good, more reasonably priced choice.  But I always have a handle of Ezra Brooks 90 proof in the liquor cabinet as the every day drink.

But on the same topic, most of you know my son is the lead brewer at Harpoon Brewery in VT.  Apparently they took a shipment of used oak barrels from Whistlepig distillery, which is a farm to bottle distillery of Rye Whiskey in VT.  Very pricey stuff.  While readying the casks for use in aging a unique beer he found one barrel had about a gallon and a half of cask strength very old Rye in the bottom.  He gave me a small mason jar of the stuff for my birthday.  Wow is that stuff great!  

You have to proof it about 50% or it overpowers your taste buds with alcohol.  But it is loaded with oak flavor and the roughness that Rye is well known for.

Scotch for me. Room temperature and not diluted. A nice smoky single malt is my preference but I also enjoy blended. 

I drink Jack Daniels on occasion but I do not consider Jack to be bourbon. It has it's own unique flavor. 

I have tried various bourbons and never found one that I can drink without hiding the flavor in ice and soda, or juice. 

Torpedo Juice anyone?
Torpedo juice, that brings back memories.  By the time I got to the boats in mid 70s the drinkable torpedo juice was all gone, but all the "old timers" (basically anyone qual'd before me!) had stories about it.  My LPO, later Chief, was a TM and came in late 50s, so he'd been on a boat or three before. 

These days I'm mostly Irish Whiskey.  Red Bush is my economical choice; many options at above that price point.  I have ~2-1/2 bottles of Jameson Signature left and will review hard to get options in December when we go to Ireland again.

Wiggly Bridge bourbon....I've got all kinds on my shelf...Knob Creek, Woodford, Jack ,Makers , Turkey 101, etc.....Wiggly Bridge from York Beach distillery is the best for me...