Scotch or Bourbon?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knifemaker

Not me
Reaction score
I think I had a thread on cigars/whiskey awhile back, but was just curious here...

Do you prefer Scotch or Bourbon? The reason I ask is I've been a Scotch guy since high school (yep even underage) My brother in law is a Bourbon guy. He sent me a bottle of a Kentucky Bourbon he really likes, and I just can't drink it. I can recognize it's pretty smooth, but other than adding it to a sauce I just can't drink it straight.

So, are there those that can do both, or are you just a follower of one team here?

Bad experience with Scotch 50 years ago put me off of it for life.

Bourbon - OK

Rye - Better

Irish Whiskey - The Nectar of the Gods! JSNS

Bourbon all the way although (and I'm thinking of one friend here who really tried to convince me) I've made the effort to enjoy Scotch at different points. Can't say I don't like it, it's just not as enjoyable.

Now tequila - that was my bad experience from the past
puke.gif
. A few years ago though I forced myself to get over it and will now occasionally pour myself a glass just for something different. Might have been influenced by a 'Pants ride report at some point with that.

Good thread btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Irish and Scotch are both favorites. Bourbon, Rye, Canadian and all others can be consumed in small quantities if free.

Currently in the shop I have two bottles of Jack Daniels, a bottle of Rye and 1/2 bottle of Crown Royal that were gifts from tech day attendees and other transient riders. The three bottles of Irish and two bottles of Scotch that were left have disappeared.

Bad experience with Scotch 50 years ago put me off of it for life.
Bourbon - OK

Rye - Better

Irish Whiskey - The Nectar of the Gods! JSNS
What bigjohnsd said.

Most ordinary Irish whiskeys are as good as any Scotch Malt, IMHO!

Personal fave is Black Bush from Bushmills, the oldest distillery in the world, and still going strong.

Canadian and Irish whiskey, and to a large extent, Scotch,

have a sharp initial bite but are thin on flavor that doesnt

linger.

Bourbon, OTOH, is smoother initially, has greater depth of

flavor and a warm, lingering afterburn. Yum.

Bourbon, Rye, Tequila...or a good Craft Beer.

Oh, and you can send me the Bourbon...I'll take care of that for you

Does seem most folks I've met are either a "Scotch Guy" or a "Bourbon Guy" (and you can substitute "Gal" there if needed, as I know many woman from both ranks)

Also seems, much like me, Scotch Guys do like Irish Whiskey too. For me it's usually a matter of budget. As I have at least one drink after work everyday, a bottle goes fairly quickly. Good single malts, like my favorite, Oban 14, are around $70 a bottle. Good Irish Whiskey's can be had from 20-$30 a fifth.

Jamison has a whiskey finished in stout barrels that I like a lot. Two Gingers is under $19 and I am fine drinking it.

So as Snudge claimed- "Most ordinary Irish whiskeys are as good as any Scotch Malt, IMHO!"

I'm not going to say they are "as good", but they are definitely enjoyable, and much easier to find good ones drastically below the price of a good bottle of scotch.

I still have not developed a taste for straight tequila yet, but am working on it...
default_wink.png

Bourbon for me or rum is good too. I just can't develop a taste for Scotch. Tequila? No thank you. Bad memories from my youth.

Drank plenty of Jack Daniels years ago. Tried scotch for a while, 40 years ago, and just couldn't do it. I have a bottle of Maker's Mark in the cupboard right now, and it's pretty good, but my favorite for the last fifteen years has been Crown Royal, and since it came out seven or eight years ago, Crown Royal Black.

(On an emesis note: Forty-two or forty-three years ago, I had a man-to-bottle battle one night with a bottle of Yukon Jack (sad, I know, but I was young), and it ended with me on all fours in the back yard of my girlfriend's parent's house, retching like a cat coughing up a hairball. Thankfully, her parents were gone for the night. To this day, if I smell a sweetened whisky, like Yukon Jack or Southern Comfort, my stomach goes immediately upside-down and tells me, "Don't you dare, you dumb f*cker". Lesson learned, and not yet forgotten.)

Thank you for starting this socially significant and humorously enlightening topic.

^ Speaking of bad Southern Comfort memories.

I know I was underage yet so far as legally drinking. I had just recently bought a used truck and learned the hard way I'd gotten taken. Changed oil in it and wondered why what I drained looked so damned thick when I changed it. Started it with fresh proper weight oil and wondered WTH hell that knocking sound was. Turned out to have a spun rod bearing. Good friend of mine decides to take me out that night and help drown my sorrows with a bottle of Comfort. I remember bits and pieces of the evening but the highlight apparently was when we stopped for gas as my g/f went to use the rest room I just couldn't wait any longer and entered the storage closet where I urinated in their mop bucket. I've been told I then proceeded to empty my stomach contents across much of the parking lot before my buddy threw me back in his car and dropped me at home. To this day pretty much the smell of Southern Comfort triggers me to begin retching.