Screws, Clutch Cover- For Xm Radio

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

Fastfckr

I just bought a Roady 2 for my bike.... I made up a holder similar to the one Hoon Hardware sells that mounts on top of a clutch or front brake cover , but mine is made of aluminum. My question is: if I buy a pair of allen bolts that are a bit longer but doesn't have a tapered head,(I HAVE THE BRACKET ABOVE THE COVER) will it still hold the cover tight??? I don't want any possible fluid leak. What have you guys used that _are _ using a mount like that, using????

Don't write back if you are just guessing, that what I'm doing now. I'm looking for answers that are proven, NOT, ...I think............................

ZZZZZZZ

The Hoon comes with some tiny little spacers...so once you assemble everything the Hoon mount is actually just a few millimeters above the top surface of the reservoir.

I tried to snap some pics, but they came out like crap...this link shows a few pictures that will show the spacers that I'm talking about.

Click Click

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I see he little spacers in the link, are the bottoms tapered in like the stock screws??? or just flat little washers??? It would be trick to make up some small spacers that are pencil shaped so they go down into the covers.

Any Roady owners out there with this set-up listening????????????

Thanks, ZZZZZZZZ

Last edited:
The Hoon Spacers are actully about 3-4mm tall, both ends are flat, not tapered, and the O.D. is such that it falls inside the countersink of the OEM screws.

One problem with your aluminum design is that the antenna is magnetic. It also uses the antenna mounting pad as a ground plane for improved reception. If you use double sided tape or velcro to attach the antenna it will be isolated from the ground plane. (Not so say it doesn't work with the antenna sitting on a plastic panel, lots of people do that too)

For $19 I would just order the Hoon bracket and save yourself the frustration. Thats what I did. Good luck. B)