SE Ohio Spring "Ramble" 2008

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmm Lets see if I ride down to [SIZE=12pt]ATHENS, OH [/SIZE]for Ohio Spring, then jaunt west(?) to Eureka Springs for SFO, I get a day or so layover to rest in the hot springs before the unruly hoards arrive. opps did I say that out loud :whistle:
I tell you come April I'm roaring to go!!!
Is that a tentative yes Pierre, or is that a firm yes for the SE Ohio "Ramble"?

...Or is your post just your way of saying yer sick & tired of snow? :lol:

We'd be glad to have you! :clapping: :clapping:

(BTW, does Ottawa know yer gonna be gone this long, scouting out the US? :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm Lets see if I ride down to [SIZE=12pt]ATHENS, OH [/SIZE]for Ohio Spring, then jaunt west(?) to Eureka Springs for SFO, I get a day or so layover to rest in the hot springs before the unruly hoards arrive. opps did I say that out loud :whistle:

Every great ride starts with a crazy idea! So put me down for a tentative yes! (and why is Ohio in the mid west?)

Every great ride starts with a crazy idea! So put me down for a tentative yes! (and why is Ohio in the mid west?)
Why is Ohio in the Midwest?

Born in Ohio and went to school at University of Michigan. Michigan's fight song says they are the champions on the West.

Maybe the school was started so long ago that they were the west.

...Every great ride starts with a crazy idea! So put me down for a tentative yes! (and why is Ohio in the mid west?)
That's great Pierre :clapping: ...I will put you down on the list. :yahoo:

RE: Ohio/midwest...Back in 1700s & 1800s before the Louisiana purchase, the Mississippi River was the western edge of the frontier. Illinois was part of the Northwest Territory, and Ohio was not as far west and was considered "midwest". Obviously, the western boundary moved west, but the name stuck for this region - partly by being in the middle of the country the name still made sense for awhile. As the west expanded, other parts of this region started to became considered part of the "midwest" as well - Illinois being one of them.

However, SE Ohio will now and this spring be known for its great motorcycle roads. :yahoo:

And I get to call this my backyard! What a place to live. Now, if I wasn't so afraid to make a trip to the rockies on my own....

...Back in 1700s & 1800s before the Louisiana purchase, the Mississippi River was the western edge of the frontier. Illinois was part of the Northwest Territory, and Ohio was not as far west and was considered "midwest". Obviously, the western boundary moved west, but the name stuck for this region - partly by being in the middle of the country the same still made sense for awhile. As the west expanded, other parts of this region started to became considered part of the "midwest" as well - Illinois being one of them.

And that is why Wheaton will be our guide.

(just remember to tip your guide) ;)

...Back in 1700s & 1800s before the Louisiana purchase, the Mississippi River was the western edge of the frontier. Illinois was part of the Northwest Territory, and Ohio was not as far west and was considered "midwest". Obviously, the western boundary moved west, but the name stuck for this region - partly by being in the middle of the country the name still made sense for awhile. As the west expanded, other parts of this region started to became considered part of the "midwest" as well - Illinois being one of them.

And that is why Wheaton will be our guide.

(just remember to tip your guide) ;)
MGD is an acceptable currency... :)

Glad to see you made it back to the forum...from the Bike Show

Yep, work has been a real time drain, trying to avoid some of that this year :D

I'm not sure why I even clicked on to this thread, probably because I'm still half a sleep.I've never been in here before and why I would click on midwest in the first place is way beyond me but here I am. Maybe it was fate who knows. It's a little early in the year to say for sure, but hey what the heck, Put me down as possible, and keep me posted as the weekend draws near. I just recently purchased a 06 and am dying to do some long rides and the idea of riding with some other guy's sure sounds go to me right about know seeing it's about 30 degrees out and snowing. Again keep me posted. Dave

... Put me down as possible, and keep me posted as the weekend draws near. I just recently purchased a 06 and am dying to do some long rides and the idea of riding with some other guy's sure sounds go to me right about know seeing it's about 30 degrees out and snowing. Again keep me posted. Dave
Okay Dave...good to have you. If you do come, I presume you will be staying overnight as yer coming from Cleveland? Am I right in this?

As I won't be sending out pms to everybody, check back here every so often for updates as to meeting time and place.

(Also, if you use the "View New Posts" button on the top right of the screen you will not miss any new posts...no matter what section of the Forum thethe posts are in.)

Put me down as a definite maybe. Calendar is open today but it will change a lot with three girls in high school.

I thought Ohio was right next to PA? That's 400 hundred miles from here!!! :blink: That'll make a nice weekend of riding. Guess I'll have to take Friday off. :yahoo:

I went to college north of Wheeling, didn't have a bike while I was there but it always looked like a great area to ride.

Looking forward to meeting up with some fellow FJR riders.

Brian

QUOTE (Big-B @ Saturday, 09 February 2008) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Put me down as a definite maybe. Calendar is open today but it will change a lot with three girls in high school.
I thought Ohio was right next to PA? That's 400 hundred miles from here!!! :blink: That'll make a nice weekend of riding. Guess I'll have to take Friday off. :yahoo:

I went to college north of Wheeling, didn't have a bike while I was there but it always looked like a great area to ride.

Looking forward to meeting up with some fellow FJR riders.

Brian
I'll put you down as a possible for the ride Brian...BTW, I'm from the western suburbs of Chicago, so I'm 450 miles from Athens. So I'll be there Fri night and Sat. night before heading home on Sunday.

And don't worry about too many riders either. If this ride generates alot of riders, we will go in flights of about 4 to 6 riders max. I will contact some the local riders closer to that time to assist me in this.

I showed my Suzuki Bandit buddy the maps of this ride ( we ride some of these roads together during the summer) and he would like to join us. It will make for a cheaper hotel bill for me as he and I can share a room. If there are no objections, add my Suzuki Bandit buddy, Jeff to the list.

I showed my Suzuki Bandit buddy the maps of this ride ( we ride some of these roads together during the summer) and he would like to join us. It will make for a cheaper hotel bill for me as he and I can share a room. If there are no objections, add my Suzuki Bandit buddy, Jeff to the list.
I will put your buddy on the list. I presume this is the same one you mentioned to me before...

is this a scenic route, a sprited/sporty route, a technical route, or a mix of the above? assuming there will be some sporty portions, i'd like to meet up. i won't be able to do an overnite thing, so assuming kickstands up at 9a in athens, i'd have to leave cinti by 6a, and i'd just break off from you guys around 6p wherever we are on the route at that point. so mark me down as a maybe, and i'll try to pay attention to this thread for more details. i'm not a hooligan, but i do prefer riding faster in the corners than the straights; i've heard the roads in s/eastern ohio are pretty good for that. ( :

I will put your buddy on the list. I presume this is the same one you mentioned to me before...

Yes, he is the one. Great, I'll let him know and we will make plans to find a hotel. Come on spring time :yahoo: :yahoo: