Seattle,WA to Pleasanton, CA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedygg

Reaction score
Riding from Seattle to Pleasanton, CA in two weeks Saddle Sore style (one day ride one way) and looking for input on which route to take. The straight shot appears to be I-5 -> 505 -> 680.

An alternative that I see is to take 101 however I am concerned about potential traffic. Will probably be leaving on a Thursday.

Any thoughts on recommended routes for a one day trip (preferably 800-900 miles)? :search:

Mil gracias.

Some great roads between those two points, but for a single day ride, no question. Freeway (I-5) the whole way, at least the first 80 or 90% 101 would be MUCH slower. But a better ride.

Some great roads between those two points, but for a single day ride, no question. Freeway (I-5) the whole way, at least the first 80 or 90% 101 would be MUCH slower. But a better ride.
+1 on what Mike said. The Oregon coast this time of year is a "tourist trap" Once you get to the California border on 101 is it slow (and dangerous with Elk - ask Brodie) until past Eureka and then you can make good time.

The only "problem" with I5/505/680 this time of year is between Shasta Lake and the I80/680 junction is heat. That section of the Sacramento Valley can easily be in the 100+ and likely 110+ later in the day starting in Redding. Between the I80/680 Junction and Concord on 680 you can expect so very strong cross winds and large and quick temperature drop. The temp should come back up after Concord. The winds and temperature drop will depend on the temperature in the Sacramento Valley and that on the coast. That section of highway cross the main route for cold air rushing towards hot.

We were on I5 2 weekends ago from the Bay Area to Weed. At that time, there was no road construction from Weed to Redding, there was road surface and highway widening through Redding (CHP was thick), and clear South of Redding.

Have a fun and safe ride!

101 in Northern California is very pretty. I know from going up to WFO last year. If you do take 101, I would take the Richmond-San Rafael bridge across the bay before going into San Francisco. SF is very hard to find your way out of if you don't know your way around.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I completed an SS1k last month, so am not too concerned about riding ~800 miles. However I am wondering what it will be like to do my first "lane splitting". This being my first time riding thru a state that allows it, I know I will be feeling a bit guilty (catholic side of my up-bringing) passing the cagers. Based on some googling, the key is to go no more than 5mph faster than traffic and cross fingers that CHP is in good mood.

I've done 101 in the car, however from what I recall (and y'all confirmed), it can be slow.

b.t.w In August, a bunch of us (me and at least one other person :huh: ) are planning on riding a Bun-burner 1500 (24 hour version). If anyone is interested in doing the ride, send me a PM. Starts in Seattle area and I believe we will be going thru Montana.

Dos mil gracias!

Thanks for all the feedback.

I completed an SS1k last month, so am not too concerned about riding ~800 miles. However I am wondering what it will be like to do my first "lane splitting". This being my first time riding thru a state that allows it, I know I will be feeling a bit guilty (catholic side of my up-bringing) passing the cagers. Based on some googling, the key is to go no more than 5mph faster than traffic and cross fingers that CHP is in good mood.

I've done 101 in the car, however from what I recall (and y'all confirmed), it can be slow.

b.t.w In August, a bunch of us (me and at least one other person :huh: ) are planning on riding a Bun-burner 1500 (24 hour version). If anyone is interested in doing the ride, send me a PM. Starts in Seattle area and I believe we will be going thru Montana.

Dos mil gracias!
What brings you to Pleasanton? It's my home town and there's not much here except borin' ole suburbia. There are however a bunch of great roads right nearby here that I'd be happy to show you if you'll have any free riding time on a weekend. Even on your way down here you could detour around Mt. Diablo across Morgan Territory Road and into the Livermore Valley if you don't mind a bit of twisty roads near the end of a long day.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=203897504107495728991.0004a75f322d1554de285&msa=0&ll=38.005902,-121.961975&spn=0.585401,1.352692

What brings you to Pleasanton? It's my home town and there's not much here except borin' ole suburbia. There are however a bunch of great roads right nearby here that I'd be happy to show you if you'll have any free riding time on a weekend. Even on your way down here you could detour around Mt. Diablo across Morgan Territory Road and into the Livermore Valley if you don't mind a bit of twisty roads near the end of a long day.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=203897504107495728991.0004a75f322d1554de285&msa=0&ll=38.005902,-121.961975&spn=0.585401,1.352692
My daughter is playing in a College Showcase Tournament there...figured it's a good excuse for a ride. :yahoo:

Poor Pleasanton does not appear to be getting much positive press. The showcase website has a tab for "Things to do"....it's empty. :huh:

Thanks for the detour suggestion. If I get some free time, I'll send you a PM.

I am wondering what it will be like to do my first "lane splitting". This being my first time riding thru a state that allows it, I know I will be feeling a bit guilty (catholic side of my up-bringing) passing the cagers. Based on some googling, the key is to go no more than 5mph faster than traffic and cross fingers that CHP is in good mood.
Lane splitting is not mandatory. :) Only do what you're comfortable with, and not at speed, especially when doing it for the first time. ("At speed" [to me ]= traffic moving over 20 or so.) And you can go at least 10 mph over very slow or stopped traffic, as long as you do it with caution. Key is to make every pass a separate event in your mind. Decide it's safe and go, one car at a time. I've split lanes past city, county and CHP vehicles many times and attracted no attention, even followed CHP bikes between traffic.

Speaking of CHP, both 101 and I-5 in NorCal = heavy police presence. Watch speeds.

My daughter is playing in a College Showcase Tournament there...figured it's a good excuse for a ride. :yahoo:

Poor Pleasanton does not appear to be getting much positive press. The showcase website has a tab for "Things to do"....it's empty. :huh:

Thanks for the detour suggestion. If I get some free time, I'll send you a PM.
Ah ha - soccer. Its absolutely an epidemic here in the Tri-valley area. The Pleasanton Rage club in 2009 put 21 girls into college on scholarships!! 14 of those played on Foothill High School's team that was ranked #1 in the country in 2009 for most of the year before losing their final game of the playoffs in overtime - hard to imagine but there were 4 girls that didn't even start in their senior year of high school that got scholarships. Really shows how powerful the youth club sports scene is.

Yeah - the last big news coverage we got was when some loser killed his parents to get their money to cover his gambling debts.

https://www.fugitive.com/2011/03/28/ernest-scherer-iii-was-convicted-of-two-counts-of-first-degree-murder-for-killing-his-parents-in-pleasanton/

Ah ha - soccer. Its absolutely an epidemic here in the Tri-valley area. The Pleasanton Rage club in 2009 put 21 girls into college on scholarships!! 14 of those played on Foothill High School's team that was ranked #1 in the country in 2009 for most of the year before losing their final game of the playoffs in overtime - hard to imagine but there were 4 girls that didn't even start in their senior year of high school that got scholarships. Really shows how powerful the youth club sports scene is.
The scholarship count sounds really impressive Russ[?]. Daughter is in U17 and really enjoying the sport. We hope not to get too caught up in the hunt for scholarship money at the expense of enjoyment of the game. I've seen a lot of burned out kids due to too much pressure in the early years.

Poor Pleasanton does not appear to be getting much positive press. The showcase website has a tab for "Things to do"....it's empty. :huh: Thanks for the detour suggestion. If I get some free time, I'll send you a PM.
Go downtown and eat at Gay 90's. Damn good pizza (and other food).

There isn't a ton to do in the Valley, but there are some damn fun roads to ride very close by. Give us some ideas of what you like to do and maybe we can give some suggestions.

tmc = grew up in tri-valley (Pleasanton then San Ramon)

Well, most of this is applicable to my trip as well, so thanks for the added input. Mental note: sounds like I will be needing to wet down my base-layer for California.

There isn't a ton to do in the Valley, but there are some damn fun roads to ride very close by. Give us some ideas of what you like to do and maybe we can give some suggestions.

Thanks tmc. Although my priority will be to attend to my daughter, looking forward to finding some time for exploring the local terrain.

Well, most of this is applicable to my trip as well, so thanks for the added input. Mental note: sounds like I will be needing to wet down my base-layer for California.
Hey LowAndSilent, I'll be leaving on either the 21 or 22nd of July and returning 25th. If we happen to overlap on dates, send me a PM and we can maybe hookup for at least part of the ride. At the very least, feel free to contact me in california if you run into issues. As in the movie "John Q", you my hero for helping out Perry with the final drive issue. That was outstanding. :clapping:

Thanks tmc. Although my priority will be to attend to my daughter, looking forward to finding some time for exploring the local terrain.

Hey LowAndSilent, I'll be leaving on either the 21 or 22nd of July and returning 25th. If we happen to overlap on dates, send me a PM and we can maybe hookup for at least part of the ride. At the very least, feel free to contact me in california if you run into issues. As in the movie "John Q", you my hero for helping out Perry with the final drive issue. That was outstanding. :clapping:
It looks like I missed a key point here - I'm going to be in England for what looks like your entire stay so won't be able to join you for any rides. However, my STRONG input is that if you have maybe 4-5 hours that you ride this loop. There are great roads with fantastic views, and for the stretch between Livermore and San Jose, possibilities of exhilarating speeds (if you're so inclined). There is one sheriff that usually is out somewhere on San Antonio Valley Road cruising between the junction of 130 / Del Puerto Canyon Road (there's a cool little diner there that makes a good rest stop) and Mt. Hamilton but other than that its pretty quiet.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=203897504107495728991.0004a7724ee33a9bf3be3&msa=0

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like I missed a key point here - I'm going to be in England for what looks like your entire stay so won't be able to join you for any rides. However, my STRONG input is that if you have maybe 4-5 hours that you ride this loop. There are great roads with fantastic views, and for the stretch between Livermore and San Jose, possibilities of exhilarating speeds (if you're so inclined). There is one sheriff that usually is out somewhere on San Antonio Valley Road cruising between the junction of 130 / Del Puerto Canyon Road (there's a cool little diner there that makes a good rest stop) and Mt. Hamilton but other than that its pretty quiet.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=203897504107495728991.0004a7724ee33a9bf3be3&msa=0
Way cool russperry. Thanks so much for all the info. Hope you have a great time in England.

However I am wondering what it will be like to do my first "lane splitting". This being my first time riding thru a state that allows it, I know I will be feeling a bit guilty (catholic side of my up-bringing) passing the cagers. Based on some googling, the key is to go no more than 5mph faster than traffic and cross fingers that CHP is in good mood.
Back in April a buddy of mine who is a MSF rider-coach and works for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (and a Harley rider :) ) told me he was going to a workshop for putting together the best practices for lane sharing, and did I have anything I wanted to pass along. Here's what I gave him (sorry for the all caps; it was to stand out within his email):

1. OPEN UP YOUR VISION. (HVH ISN'T THAT IMPORTANT HERE)

2. COVER YOUR BRAKE(S).

3. WAIT TILL TRAFFIC SETTLES BEFORE GOING UP THE MIDDLE.

4. BE MODERATE IN YOUR SPEED (EVERYONE LIKES TO SAY "10 MPH" OR WHATEVER ABOVE TRAFFIC SPEED, BUT I CAN'T REALLY CALIBRATE THAT; I JUST DO IT INTUITIVELY.)

5. THERE'S A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LANE SHARING AND PLAYING SLOLOM AT 70 MPH .

6. LET MORE AGGRESSIVE RIDERS BY SO THEY DON'T PUSH YOU INTO YOUR NOT-COMFORTABLE SPEED.

7. EYE CONTACT WITH DRIVERS IS USELESS: YOU CAN'T DO IT LOGISTICALLY, AND EVEN IF THEY SEEM TO SEE YOU DOESN'T MEAN THEY WON'T MOVE OVER.

8. KNOW HOW TO MAKE YOUR BIKE DIVE OVER (SWERVE) AGGRESSIVELY AT LOW SPEED.

9. KEEP THE RPMs UP.

10. DON'T WAVE THANKS TO DRIVERS WHO NUDGE OVER; KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE ROAD AND HANDS ON THE CONTROLS.

11. TRY TO STAY BETWEEN THE NOS. 1 AND 2 LANES.

I would add to do a mirror and shoulder check for other bikes coming up behind you before you head up the middle.

BTW, most drivers stay where they are as you come up by them, many move out of the way, and I can recall perhaps on half of one hand in about 6 years and 60,000 miles of burning up clutches and trashing transmissions :rolleyes: in commute traffic a car trying to nudge me out of the way. So whatever you do, don't waste attention being nervous that you will piss off the drivers.

And BTW lane sharing does not include going over the right fog line on single-lane roads, no matter what Fairlaner may think. :D

As Patton says to the troops, Believe me, when you stick your hand into some goo that used to be your best buddy's face, you'll know what to do. :blink: Um, when you find yourself in miles of stop-and-go traffic, and you're getting hot, you'll know what to do, trooper. And you quickly get used to it. Then you dig it. It's like you're at Disneyland and always get to go to the front of the line. Before you know it, you'll be heading to the front of the line at signalized intersections. :yahoo:

"then you dig it" lol!!

I would add - Remain calm! Don't allow your nerves to consume you.

Splitting is just second nature now to me. And yes, it can be an adrenaline rush. IMO it feels safer than just hanging out in the mix - my biggest fear on the bike is getting rear ended by a hapless cager. At least splitting puts me somewhat back in control.