Second Annual Birds, Beans, and Bierstadt Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]Join us on Saturday, January 16, for the second annual Birds, Beans, and Bierstadt Ride--a full day of riding, fun, culture, comraderie, eating, and learning in the California Central Valley.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]1. The Birds[/SIZE]

4160673614_9453b7fdcb_o.jpg
4159882977_1710553140_o.jpg

Fall has come to California's Central Valley, and with it thousands of sandhill cranes on their annual migration to feed and roost in marsh and grassland around Lodi. The graceful, 5-foot-tall birds migrate to the Lodi area in October and stay through February. State scientists rave about the cranes, which can cover 350 miles a day, calling them "magnificent birds, with characteristic red-crowned heads, unique clicking vocalization and distinct postures." (In other words, if you live nearby they're a pain in the a**!)

We will start our day with a 10-minute ride from the rendezvous location to the Woodbridge Ecological Reserve. There we will stop by the side of the road to watch the birds hobnobbing and fornicating in the local fields. With 6-foot wingspans, the sight of a flock of them flying over will take your breath away. Bring binoculars (there might be "birds" in bikinis swimming in nearby farm ponds :cold: )!

For more information about the birds and the reserve, go to Information about the Calif. Dept. of Fish and Game Woodbridge Ecological Reserve

[SIZE=12pt]2. The Beans[/SIZE]

4160731876_e8b9f05289.jpg

After throwing some rocks at the birds (and peeing on their habitat since there's no bathrooms at the reserve), we will head for lunch about 20 minutes away to a delicious, authentic Mexican restaurant in beautiful downtown Lodi, "the perfect destination for everyone in the family!" :glare: (source: Lodi Visitor Bureau). The venue:

Angelo's

28 North School Street

Lodi, CA 95240-2113

In Lodi's "charming downtown with boutiques, antique shops, and turn-of-the-century Victorians ," (ibid.) we will eat musical beans while singing Mexican love songs (albeit not with our mouths' full, Mom :innocent: ) , and dance Mariachi style till we all vomit and fall down. At which point it will be time for the pièce de résistance of our cultural tour.

4160716934_de7a7f4e8a.jpg

Above, FJR Forum members from the Far East region (even farther than Boston :huh: ) enjoy authentic Mexican food in Lodi during the Sandhill Crane Festival in November.

[SIZE=12pt]3. Bierstadt[/SIZE]

4160021833_90c4c23c46_o.jpg

Looking Up the Yosemite Valley, Oil on canvas, 36 x 58 1/2, c. 1863-75, Albert Bierstadt

After we settle up with the owner on the damage from lunch we will head south about 30 minutes to the little-know but excellent Haggin Art Museum in Stockton to see the magnificent paintings of Yosemite Valley by the famous 19thc. Hudson River School painter Albert Bierstadt.

The Haggin Museum opens at 1:30, and costs a very reasonable $5.00. Learn more about it here.

From the museum it will be homeward bound for all....

[SIZE=12pt]Rendezvous, Timing, and Directions[/SIZE]

We will gather around 10:00 AM at Flag City Shell, departing sometime between 10:30 and 11:00. The Shell station is at the corner of highways 5 and 12:

6437 W Banner Rd

Lodi, CA 95242-9125

NOTE: Ride is dependent on weather. No sun no fun. Rain will force a re-scheduling.

[SIZE=12pt]Participants List[/SIZE]

JB, Concord (Hans)

jwhite518 and daugher, Fremont (Jerry and Claire)

Jerry's friend Ben with son, Toby

madmike2, Sacramento (Old Fat Bastard :D )

Hycles, Dixon (Mike and Terri)

Bluestreek, Marysville (Steve)

Bugnatr, Sacramento

Ranch Hand, Elk Grove (Dave and Nancy)

Puppy Chow (Sam)

Old Michael, Sacramento (Old Michael). If he can get up early enough.

gfran (Gary and Cindy)

Nightshine

Last edited by a moderator:
The cranes are really something to see. There is flyway through the midwest too and a fall rest stop for them is in Indiana. I highly recommend checking them out!

We're in. See you at Starbucks. Unless it Snows :blink: in Dixon :blink:
Woke up to a foot of snow up here this morning- really sucks!

I hear those Cranes every spring and fall as they are passin' over head. Do they taste good, can we shoot them? I'll just shoot them with a camera.

I'll hit up FJRob, perhaps we can grab the little women and head down to see some Lodi culture or at least beans!

We're in. See you at Starbucks. Unless it Snows :blink: in Dixon :blink:
Woke up to a foot of snow up here this morning- really sucks!

I hear those Cranes every spring and fall as they are passin' over head. Do they taste good, can we shoot them? I'll just shoot them with a camera.

I'll hit up FJRob, perhaps we can grab the little women and head down to see some Lodi culture or at least beans!
The museum is a "hoot"! There is more than the paintings to see. They have a rather eclectic collection of historical machinery, a complete classroom from the early 1900s and an American Indian section downstairs in the 3 story building.

I recommend it. That Bierstadt is pretty good beer . . . Had a great time last year. Now I remember where all the birds in Alaska went . . . . wimps.

... collection of historical machinery,...
Dr. Rich's knees?
Heard an old Laugh-In joke on the radio this morning:

Chiropractor to the knee of a young-woman patient: "What's a crummy joint like you doing in a nice girl like this?" :lol:

I recommend it. That Bierstadt is pretty good beer . . . Had a great time last year. Now I remember where all the birds in Alaska went . . . . wimps.
Miss you! Well, Karen really. But we always had to have you as part of the bargain, so that tells you how much we really liked Karen. :p

Will miss youz guys! We had fun last year didn't we?

Hans

Last edited by a moderator: