Self-canceling Turn Signals For 2006

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mmmmm.... I must have overlooked that on the USA site.
Nope. Not listed on the US site. I just did a quick search. Looks like Yamaha doesnt want us Americans to know about that change.

Also explains on the Canadian site how the linked brakes work.

When you operate the hand brake:

All four pistions on the left front caliper and the top two pistons on the right front caliper operate. No rear braking occurs.

When you operate the pedal brake:

Both pistons on the rear caliper operate and the lower two pistons on the right front caliper operate.

So, the linkage is minimal. A good compromise.

Also, the rear brake caliper is now mounted on the swingarm.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the US site...

# Standard equipment Unified Braking System w/ABS: The front brake lever activates six of the eight front braking pistons and two rear pistons; the rear brake pedal activates two rear pistons and the other two front pistons—for balanced anti-lock braking in all conditions.

Although I'm more interested in...

# Taller overall secondary gearing reduces engine rpm for more comfortable long-distance touring.

HOW taller and how easy to swap out with the '05? :)

All four pistions on the left front caliper and the top two pistons on the right front caliper operate. No rear braking occurs.
When you operate the pedal brake:

Both pistons on the rear caliper operate and the lower two pistons on the right front caliper operate.
odd...

iirc: just the opposite of what most other LBS do. usually they link both front and back weith both foot and hand levers (honda). or they link the front and not the back lever (to allow for trail braking).

My desposit's going in the mail tomorrow!

I hope they added the pull-to-pass switch to flash the highbeams!

Pappy

Nice feature. Some of these threads discussing the new 06 FJR remind me of when I used to ride my Kawi H2 750 into the Harley dealership in the early 70's. I remember one of the salesmen saying about the Kawi turn signals, these Harley's are REAL motorcycles and dont need no stupid turn signals or electric start either.

The H2 did not have electric start either.

Even though the Canadian Yamaha site says the new FJR has self-canceling signals I have my doubts. In a close-up photo showing the left hand switches of the electric shift model I can see that the turn signal switch still has 'Off' with an arrow just like current FJR's.

I don't know if self-canceling signals offer the rider the option of manually canceling by pushing in the switch.

Even though the Canadian Yamaha site says the new FJR has self-canceling signals I have my doubts. In a close-up photo showing the left hand switches of the electric shift model I can see that the turn signal switch still has 'Off' with an arrow just like current FJR's.
I don't know if self-canceling signals offer the rider the option of manually canceling by pushing in the switch.
Yeah, they would/could use the same actuator switch, the self canceling would be in a different remote module. You could override the self canceling feature early by just pressing the off button.

Yeah, they would/could use the same actuator switch, the self canceling would be in a different remote module. You could override the self canceling feature early by just pressing the off button.
I have a bike with self cancelling turn signals and it is a pain to manually turn them off. And I have a bike with the push button cancelling, my FJR. If they could make both of these features work together it would be perfect.

Even though the Canadian Yamaha site says the new FJR has self-canceling signals I have my doubts. In a close-up photo showing the left hand switches of the electric shift model I can see that the turn signal switch still has 'Off' with an arrow just like current FJR's.I don't know if self-canceling signals offer the rider the option of manually canceling by pushing in the switch.
The V-Star had self cancelling signals (maybe still does).

It doesn't look any different than regular turn signal switches.

You can switch them off or it will turn off. Don't recall how the auto turn-off worked. Anyway no big deal and people I talked to had no problems or grief.

If they could make both of these features work together it would be perfect.
That is how it worked.

[
The V-Star had self cancelling signals (maybe still does).

It doesn't look any different than regular turn signal switches.

You can switch them off or it will turn off. Don't recall how the auto turn-off worked. Anyway no big deal and people I talked to had no problems or grief.

If they could make both of these features work together it would be perfect.
That is how it worked.
My Kawi Nomad cruiser was the same way. The switch looked just like a normal Japanese turnsignal switch but there was a remote cancel box somewhere.

I prefer that setup to anything more fancy.

Cheers,

Jim