Sena 20s Reviews with earplugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one has mentioned phone use with the Sena if the phone is routed through a Garmin GPS. I've given up on taking phone calls because the phone audio is too chopped up and is just an exercise in frustration. I understand that the phone audio is great if you link the phone directly to the Sena, but then you give up the ability to see who's calling or dial calls through the touch screen. Has the Sena 20 fixed this issue?
Check post #2 I don't have any problem with phone conversations. People don't even know I am on the motorcycle, so I don't think it is the SMH10. Just for the record I am using a Zumo 665 with a Galaxy S3 first and now an S6.
20S did not solve the phone problem but it I dumped my slightly [245,000 miles/3 bikes] used 550 GPS I bet it would go away.

No, it does it with my 660 also. If phone is routed through GPS, very seldom can I have a clear conversation. If my phone is connected to my Sena, it sounds great.

No, it does it with my 660 also. If phone is routed through GPS, very seldom can I have a clear conversation. If my phone is connected to my Sena, it sounds great.
Well, I see your problem. You are 5 short of a good GPS!
fool.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I see your problem. You are 5 short of a good GPS! :fool:
Now, I know you are just trying to be yourself, so Haha...You are so funny and witty Bob. Now that that's out of the way, do you have a 665, and your phone sounds clear to your callers when routed through it? These things can be glitchy...The 660 anyway.

fool.gif
Now, I know you are just trying to be yourself, so Haha...You are so funny and witty Bob. Now that that's out of the way, do you have a 665, and your phone sounds clear to your callers when routed through it? These things can be glitchy...The 660 anyway.
Did you read my post?? I said that people can't tell I am on the motorcycle. I will call you the next time I am riding. And yes, I have a 665!
grin.gif

I read your post the other day, but I didn't go back and re-read it. :no:

I don't know that I've tried my phone since my last update. Wishful thinking says that could have fixed it. Reality says probably not. Don't know that I want to buy a new GPS simply for phone calls. Not like I get or make that many from the bike anyway. What to do, what to do...

I read your post the other day, but I didn't go back and re-read it.
no.gif

I don't know that I've tried my phone since my last update. Wishful thinking says that could have fixed it. Reality says probably not. Don't know that I want to buy a new GPS simply for phone calls. Not like I get or make that many from the bike anyway. What to do, what to do...
I guess I am just lucky it works so well for me. I definitely wouldn't be spending any money for someone else to hear me while I was riding.

I haven't tried the new 20's, but have been using the SMH10 since they came out. Like others have mentioned, the music through the speakers actually sounds better when I have the traditional yellow foam barrel EAR brand plugs installed in my ears. But better is nowhere near what you'd get with a set of Bose headphones plugged into your home stereo.
No one has mentioned phone use with the Sena if the phone is routed through a Garmin GPS. I've given up on taking phone calls because the phone audio is too chopped up and is just an exercise in frustration. I understand that the phone audio is great if you link the phone directly to the Sena, but then you give up the ability to see who's calling or dial calls through the touch screen. Has the Sena 20 fixed this issue?
At first, I was miffed about not being able to use the GPS phone book too, but once Sena 20 came up with the 2nd stereo circuit software upgrade, it's GPS mounted to the left handlebar, phone mounted to the right, both connected directly to the Sena and problem solved. Use your phone screen to handle all your phone call issues and put your wife on the Sena speed dial. I've even Facetimed my wife while riding so she can see all the mountains and scenery in the background. (And yes, I'm watching the road & not my phone when I did that). All sounds loud & clear. FWIW I also have 665 & I-phone 6S.

fool.gif
Interesting! I thought the 665 was the same as the 660 except xm radio, but apparantly there's other differences. Now I just need to convince the wife that she also needs a GPS on her bike so I can hand over my 660 and then buy a phone compatible one for me! ;)

At first, I was miffed about not being able to use the GPS phone book too, but once Sena 20 came up with the 2nd stereo circuit software upgrade, it's GPS mounted to the left handlebar, phone mounted to the right, both connected directly to the Sena and problem solved.
You obviously didn't look at where I live! :) AZ may be conducive to having a phone attached to the bike while riding, but up here we ride in rain all year except summer (which is only the one weekend after the 4th of July).

There's also an app for that
rolleyes.gif

As in, if you connect your phone directly to your 20S, there are apps that read incoming text and caller names so as to not pick up when the boss calls and you cut out early because of 80 degrees and a "stomach ache".

Incidentally, the 20S speakers can be swapped out via plug-and-play and I've been eyeing these from iASUS. They're expensive but the reviews look promising, including some reviews by motorcyclists. An alternative that you may not be aware of is that you can connect your existing custom ear buds directly to the 20S. Doing so, you obviously would then have a wire connecting your ears to your helmet, but there would be no wire going anywhere else, like your phone.

FYI, I got a set of these speakers as replacements for the ones that came with my Sena 20s. They are very high quality, both in construction and sound. However, they aren't as loud as the Senas, the cord is rediculously short, the left speaker had the long wire and right the short, which is backward of what you need and the molded end/strain relief around the 3.5mm plug is huge. I'm taking them back out of my helmet and putting the Senas back in.

I first tried the speakers without ear plugs and it was doable. Alot of noise though from road, wind, music, etc. Recently tried basic foam ear plugs and for me it's not worth it. On the highest volume, I'm barely able to hear music, especially at highway speeds.
With 30 dBA earplugs I have to set volume to max on both 20S and iPhone. Rather than throw money at speakers or the hassle of in-ear buds I'm shopping for less restrictive earplugs. Reusable harder earplugs restrict less.

Snip a little material off the outside part of the earplugs or find some 22-25 dBA ones.
Yes but the difficulty is making two exactly alike. Have reusable washable plugs to try. Also washing foam plugs is a good way to dimmenish deadening, repeatably.