Sena SMH-10 Bluetooth Communicator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
I'm starting this thread specifically for the Sena SMH-10 unit. There's loads of information on the web about it. Here's 10 thoughts about the Sena and Bluetooth in general from my real-life experience thus far...

1) NGArider and I both purchased Sena SMH-10 solo units. We are both equally impressed with the units.

2) While it's obvious that the same "generation" BT(Bluetooth) communicators all use the same BT chipset with similar features and range, what makes the most difference between brands is implementation and especially ergonomics. Having the most bells & whistles isn't worth crap if you can't operate the unit with a gloved hand. My new personal rule for BT communicators is, "If you are tempted to remove your gloves and helmet in order to do something with the unit, then that function is useless!"

3) The Sena unit realistically gets 8-10 hours operation on a single charge. Recharging is realistically 2-4 hours from either the AC charger or a 12v/USB source.

4) Volume and clarity are excellent. Although currently, volume via A2DP from a Zumo 660 totally sucks! It's a Zumo 660 problem, not a Sena problem. Pair a decent A2DP MP3 player or phone to the Sena, and music can be downright loud if you want!

5) Mounting the Sena to your helmet can be a challenge. You must be prepared to use either the self-adhesive mount (which uses 3M Exterior Mounting Tape) or the clamp mount. The unit hanging off the side of your helmet, may interfere with your normal method of grabbing the helmet straps to pull on your helmet. Be prepared to alter your technique.

6) Other than the following one exception, the instructions are clear and accurate. Contrary to what the instructions seem to say, whenever you plug anything cabled into the 3.5mm stereo jack on the unit base, that's ALL you will hear. That jack overrides all other audio.

7) There is currently NO viable/reasonable method to pipe Radar Detector audio to this (or any other BT) headset that we know about. You must use a visual RD alert system of some type IF you want to go BT wireless.

8) It's important to understand that BT communicators don't "mix" audio signals, they "switch" audio signals. If you are coming from a wired system that truly mixes and prioritizes various audio signals, this can be the biggest factor to consider. When the communicator needs to switch from streamed music to phone, there's a definite "click" and a short delay. Switching is done automatically and it's nearly seamless, but it isn't "mixed" in any sense of the word.

9) If Bike2Bike communications is important to you, remember that BT systems only allow communications with another BT unit of the same brand/type. In the case of the Sena, you and two of your Sena-owning buddies can communicate. That's as far as it goes, no mas!

And remember that "communication" involves pressing a button to "switch" to the person you want to communicate with. This isn't at all like pressing a PushToTalk on GMRS or CB, where everybody in a group can hear your transmission. It opens a private channel of communication between two units.

10) Personally I would sum up BT Communicators by saying... If you are a solo rider looking for a wireless solution, the Sena unit would be hard to beat. If you frequently ride in groups where GMRS/CB Bike2Bike is important, for now stick to wired solutions.

If RD audio alerts are a high priority, especially stick with wired solutions. Bluetooth may NEVER switch fast enough to make RD audio alerts practical. The inherit delay of BT switching could prove to be very expensive!

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent write up 'Ashe. I am in the process of reviewing a few BT headseat options and am looking for the right set of features to best suit my needs. From what I have read in your post and elsewhere, the Sena unit is pretty robust and good quality. I like the form factor as well. It looks like it has some advantages over the Scala Q4 and Interphone I4 units (the two others I am eye-balling).

If anyone else has had a chance to sample any combination of these units (Sena, Scala and Interphone), I would love to get your comparison impressions. I have read / listened to the reviews on this forum and at Web Bike World. While all of the reviews are great, I haven't found a side by side comparo of them (yet).

9) If Bike2Bike communications is important to you, remember that BT systems only allow communications with another BT unit of the same brand/type. In the case of the Sena, you and two of your Sena-owning buddies can communicate. That's as far as it goes, no mas!And remember that "communication" involves pressing a button to "switch" to the person you want to communicate with. This isn't at all like pressing a PushToTalk on GMRS or CB, where everybody in a group can hear your transmission. It opens a private channel of communication between two units.

Lets say you have 4 bikes in a group who all have Sena BT devices...

Are you talking to only one of them at a time? How do you switch between riders in the group? Do you know which rider you are switching before you talk? Or is it a tab/toggle that just rotates amongst the signals it is receiving...??

Thanks for the write up.

I am assuming due to the level of info found in your write up you have already tried the following, but figured I'd throw it out there. Also I have a J&M BT and a Nuvi 456 GPS.

Do you have the Zumo's music volume cranked up? I "assumed" a BT receiver wouldn't care about this. That the trasmitted level would be fixed. Come to find out volume can be adjusted at the source and the BT headset.

I run my Nuvi 456 maxed out, and BT at 50/60% volume at highway speed. Almost the identical result of my Iphone volume.

Could a person make their Garmin 2730 a bluetooth device by using one of the bluetooth adapters? If so, I'm assuming it will also be in stereo and work with the XM radio part of the 2730.

I've been looking to go wireless and the Sena looks to be a great unit (I'm tired of wires) :)

I was thinking of getting a Marc Parnes visual alert system, since my RD goes with me everywhere.

Dave

Found my own answer. :) Too many freaking options out there....

https://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/bluetooth-a...oth-headphones/

+1 - Good read, Jeff. Thanks for the review.

One question about the volume, which you indicate is adequate except with the Zumo 660. Do you normally wear high attenuation earplugs (I think I remember that you do). That may be important to potential buyers.

As for me, seems like BT is still not "the answer", at least not for me. Not yet.

I do want (need) high volume because of the earplugs. And I really like the RD audio, and I do use GMRS for B2B. So I'm stuck with the cords. But after several years of "plugging in" it isn't really that big of a hassle anymore...

Do you have the Zumo's music volume cranked up? I "assumed" a BT receiver wouldn't care about this. That the trasmitted level would be fixed. Come to find out volume can be adjusted at the source and the BT headset.
I run my Nuvi 456 maxed out, and BT at 50/60% volume at highway speed. Almost the identical result of my Iphone volume.
While this isn't related to the Sena unit, I'll address it here for now.

Been all the way to 100% on ALL Zumo volume parameters. Also increased the dB rating on my MP3 music library. It's definitely a Zumo 660 Bluetooth A2DP protocol issue. Garmin has been informed several times. :)

Are you talking to only one of them at a time? How do you switch between riders in the group? Do you know which rider you are switching before you talk? Or is it a tab/toggle that just rotates amongst the signals it is receiving...??
I've got the Sena too, so I'll chime in...you're only talking to one at a time, and to toggle between different intercoms, depends on the number of times you press the toggle button, and the order in which you were paired. A pretty good explanation can be found on webbikeworld: https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-int...smh10-intercom/

One question about the volume, which you indicate is adequate except with the Zumo 660. Do you normally wear high attenuation earplugs (I think I remember that you do). That may be important to potential buyers.
I do not wear earplugs of any kind. My CeeBailey shield provides enough "cone of silence" for my needs without the necessity of earplugs. Having old man hearing doesn't hurt either. :(

NGArider wears earplugs and has young man hearing. He could better answer how loud the Sena goes over earplugs.

As for me, seems like BT is still not "the answer", at least not for me. Not yet.I do want (need) high volume because of the earplugs. And I really like the RD audio, and I do use GMRS for B2B. So I'm stuck with the cords. But after several years of "plugging in" it isn't really that big of a hassle anymore...
I hardly ever plug in, but typically hang my wired helmet on the left mirror. My problem with wires is one(1); when the passenger has to plug/unplug constantly, and two(2); it seems like every couple months I'm having to remove/replace some cable or wire associated with the wired system while working on the bike.

To say I'm sick of re-doing all those cables is a definite understatement. The damn cables are unjustifiably expensive, always either too long or too short, and always in my way when it comes for service.

You can only talk to one rider at a time. You select which rider by the number of taps to the Jog Dial. It basically works in reverse order of how they were paired, with the last "other rider" paired, being the highest/first priority mate.

The full user instruction manual is online at their web site. (Link in the first post) The manual does a good job of explaining it all, but you may need to study it for a while to grasp the complete concept.

Got my Sena dual in the mail yesterday and got it all set up on the helmets. In the process of synching my wifes phone to her unit she tells me one ear speaker keeps cutting out. Put that unit on my base and sure enough, it would occasionaly go mono, kind of like when a 3.5 jack on your mp3 player is going bad. Switche d unit between helmets several times to verify problem. Jiggling the unit gets it go stereo but if you tap it, then one speaker sometimes cuts out.

Anybody else have these issues? I have read where some users have had issues due to trying to put the unit on the base blind but that is not the case here.

All the pins look nice and straight and the base is still in good condition.

Definitely can see where long term this could be an issue with the spring loaded pins not making the best contact on the base.

Going to contact Sena today to see about returning unit for warranty coverage. <_<

Jeff is so full of crap. ;)

So, the issues with the Sena as I see them are much the same as Jeff. Now, I wear earplugs, I have a whole battalion of custom molded earplugs for various purposes, with and without speakers.

The Sena speakers are loud. Louder (with clarity and no distortion) than any other BT headset I've come across. Interphone, Scala, and 2 helmet systems.

I'm able to put in attenuating earplugs (no speakers, no cord, just regular earplugs), and hear my audio with the Sena speakers. It's remarkable. Now, at over 80mph, on the freeway, with a VERY (8") cut down windscreen for Georgia summers, it's hard to hear the low parts of music. Phone calls are mostly clear.

Stick a large windscreen on (for winter or weather), and the volume is very adequate at any speed.

The mic is reasonable. It's not autocom quality, but I'm told I can be heard. No conference calls from the bike like an autocom, but, it suffices.

Having NO wires to deal with is a dream. I can't go back, even having to give up true bike-to-bike. I dont care, I can't go back to a wire.

Sena has had alot of quality problems. From what I can tell, if you get a good one, you're good. If not, they readily replace it.

Overall, the Sena is the best headset on the market right now, hands down.

Thanks for the in depth review Jeff. I have been in the search mode for a Bluetooth helmet setup for several months now. I have no need for bike to bike communications. I would just like an integrated device that will take 3 inputs - RD, GPS and stereo mp3 - with a priority system. I could probably live with 10 hours of battery life.

From what I've read, you'll need to go with a visual alert for your RD. This is the one area I'm not sure I'm willing to give up.

Dave

Hi,

That's a great review by HaulinAshe. I have these babies too and have been using it for a few weeks now, mostly on my commute to work where I listen to music and a few short runs with the SO riding pillion. I concur with all of HaulinAshe's observations. Just thought I might add more information to this thread with my own experience of using the Sena with a C3 and a N103.

The Sena's are mounted on my SOs and my helmet. Aside from HaulinAshe's observation that it gets in the way of how you normally wear the helmet, if you have a sun visor slider on the side like I do on my Schuberth C3, it gets in the way of that as well. You have to mount it a bit (just a few mm's) further back than you would with a helmet without the sun visor. It still mounts ok - as in, the mic boom still reaches my mouth. But it does make it a bit difficult to get the visor down and especially back up. (see pic)

With the C3 finding the right location to mount the speakers was an effort in trial and error which took up a bit of time. First time I mounted it, the speakers were too far back and so therefore the sound was quite bad. But once I got it in the right position, all was good!

Another issue I have with the C3 is that when I close the flip up lid, I have, on a number of occasions, caught the mic boom between the hard parts of the helmet. This accidental pinching has left a noticeable scar on the material of the flexible boom. I would imaging that if I were to carelessly continue to pinch it like this, I could expose the wires inside, or even chop it of. So I'm now very careful when I close the lid.

The Schuberth C3

4737725845_a5f0c4ef81_b.jpg

4738356506_7e78831609_b.jpg

On the Nolan N103, it seems like the Sena is a perfect fit. The slider for the sun visor sits far enough up that you can mount the Sena flush to the helmet and not worry about it. But I do caution my wife and children (they use the Nolan) to be careful when lowering or retracting the visor in case they accidentally release the Sena from its base as the visor slider is right above the catch that releases the unit. As for the speakers, in the foam of the Nolan, there are even recesses perfectly matched to the size of the Sena speakers so that you can pop them in without using any kind of adhesive or the 3M velcro supplied by Sena. So this means I didn't have any trouble with speaker location in the helmet. Plus, because the Nolan is a much thicker helmet than the C3, your ears don't make contact with the speakers when you're wearing the helmet, whereas with the C3, the speakers are actually touching, almost pressing, against my ears. Its still very comfortable but some people may not like stuff touching their ears.

The Nolan N103

4738359084_c176aec7e3_b.jpg

4738357688_94c61ba774_b.jpg

In terms of quality problems, I have these issues with this device.

1. Occasionally, I can hear crackling sounds when I have an active connection with my wife. Its loud enough that I can clearly hear it but it doesn't interfere with my conversation with the wife. And the crackling noise only comes up in one helmet or the other - never both at the same time.

2. The connection sometimes drops for about 3 seconds before it comes back on its own, without us having to touch any of the controls. Its not a big deal for me or the wife so we live with it. But if it worsens (happens more frequently), then I would be concerned.

3. I'm not able to configure the devices to work in VOX mode, even after following the instructions to the letter. After setting up VOX mode, I have no connection at all between the two devices. Speaking (yelling) into the mic does not activate a connection.

On the plus side, as HaulinAshe has said, sound quality is great. It even works with my 5 year old nokia 6300 although I cannot control the music (as in skip tracks). Operating the Sena with gloves is easy. Battery life? So far, I've not had it run out of juice during my usage. (The music is always on when I ride).

Hope this is useful info for everyone.

Nik

I'll put in my 2 cents as well.

Me and a buddy (also a FJR Pilot) went in and purchased a pair of these (A definite savings to buy the 2 pack) before a week long trip to WV.

Very happy with the battery life..they never died on us and we pretty much kept the intercom line open while riding..which was often at least 8 hours a day...just put it back on the charger at the end of the day and it was ready to go.

Range is acceptable..generally if I could see the other person, there wasn't a problem..wooded and curvy mountain roads definitely gave it a hit...as would be expected. Toward the end of a couple of the days we could definitely notice the range shortening, but this was only on a couple of the 10+ hour days.

Sound quality is really good for intercom and phone use..but don't expect these to perform like $300 Shures for music. I can't speak much on the volume since I mounted my speakers behind the ear flaps..but I pretty much have to keep it cranked for music for a little background noise...but for the intercom I had to turn it down a few notches

Ergonomics are great..love the simplicitiy and easy to use buttons..all 2 of them.

Mounting worked well for my Shark RSI helmet..not as flush on my Scorpion 700..The Shark also had those pocket I could use which made it much more comfortable

Pairing was painless for between units and with my phone. It seems to be on and off with my iTouch..I gave up trying to figure out the quirk and just use the included wire. I think it's an iTouch issue..I'm sure it saves keeping the bluetooh on the iTouch turned off anyways.

Interesting to hear about the speaker issue..My left speaker did the same and went out about halfway through the trip..and would occasionally come back but distorted..like there was a loose wire that would occasionally get contact.

I did email customer service which was fine..except that it seemed to take 2 messages to get one response back...but they did send a new clamp unit to me gratis and without hassle and I didn't have to pay to return the defective part...so I wonder if it is a known issue

Weatherproofing was fine. We had a full day of downpouring rain and thunderstorms and they didn't miss a beat.

Overall, I'm pleased with the product. Defnitely a recommend for solo or with 1 other riding. My buddy and I were glad to buy them, espeically when we had to take some superslab to make up some time or when one of us would come up on some gravel covered corners.

Yeah, I'm sure the $300 models will get you more bells and whistles..but this one filled my needs very well for half that price.

Thanks for all the information.

I am in the market for a new GPS (although my Street Pilot III gave me less trouble on the run up to/back from WFO 9 than did a number of fellow riders' Zumos). Also, my Starcom Digital continues to exhibit "quirks" (as did it's predecessor Starcom One unit). I could also replace my Shoei X11 (with something quieter). Because I could replace everything at once, an integrated wireless solution is very appealing. The information in the previous posts is exceptionally thorough and practical. Thanks. again.

My conclusion.....the wireless world has made great progress but it's not quite there.....yet. I think I will squeeze another year out of the current set up.

Latest posts