Sena SMH10

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bthomas

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just ordered a sena smh10d and haven't even got it yet and found out that it won't send audio to both headsets. What a bunch of bull. That was the whole reason I got it so that me and the SO wouldn't be tangled in a web of wires everytime we want to jam. Does anyone have any solutions to this? Thanks.

Hey all,

Just ordered a sena smh10d and haven't even got it yet and found out that it won't send audio to both headsets. What a bunch of bull. That was the whole reason I got it so that me and the SO wouldn't be tangled in a web of wires everytime we want to jam. Does anyone have any solutions to this? Thanks.
If it makes you feel any better neither does the Scala Rider G4. The G4 does have a plug in for an Ipod or MP3 player so that the SO can get tunes.

Not sure if I helped,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. I thought this too. But I think, really, this is a PHONE issue. You have to be able to pair your phone to multiple devices as once. It is NOT a SENA fault. The SENA can only connect to one phone. But can your phone connect to TWO SENAs and broadcast simultaneously? THAT is what you need to find out.

Alexi

Hey all,

The Sena doesn't send audio to anything. The only time a Sena unit "sends" is when you are talking back and forth. Otherwise, the unit is a receiver. The solution is to pair each device to your music source; GPS, Phone, BT MP3, IPod or whatever. When the device sends a signal, each Sena should be able to receive it. AND the Sena base has an input dock so that if you don't have a BT sending unit, you can plug it directly into the Sena.

How bout an iPod pairing to two headsets. I read on their website that it can't do that. Does anyone know if it is a limitation of Sena,iPod or bluetooth in general. They (Sena) say they are introducing some kind of music adapter in spring or 2012. I thought someone might use some kind of hub or something to accomplish this already.

This taken from their website:

Can I connect multiple SMH10s to a single Bluetooth phone or Bluetooth MP3 player?

Multiple SMH10s cannot be connected, via Bluetooth, to a single Bluetooth phone or Bluetooth MP3 player. A single phone can only connect to one SMH10 and vice versa. This is the same for Bluetooth MP3 player.

Hey all,

The Sena doesn't send audio to anything. The only time a Sena unit "sends" is when you are talking back and forth. Otherwise, the unit is a receiver. The solution is to pair each device to your music source; GPS, Phone, BT MP3, IPod or whatever. When the device sends a signal, each Sena should be able to receive it. AND the Sena base has an input dock so that if you don't have a BT sending unit, you can plug it directly into the Sena.
I hope you are right about the bluetooth.

Thanks

Hey all,

Thanks
So...Say you are pairing your Ipod to the units. You will pair the units to eachother, which has no affect on music.

You will pair your unit ti the Ipod, and then her unit to the Ipod. You may run into issues if the Ipod wont send to two different sources at the same time. The problem wont be with the Sena units receiving.

Hey all,

Thanks
So...Say you are pairing your Ipod to the units. You will pair the units to eachother, which has no affect on music.

You will pair your unit ti the Ipod, and then her unit to the Ipod. You may run into issues if the Ipod wont send to two different sources at the same time. The problem wont be with the Sena units receiving.
Exactly. The SENA can only receive one feed each. You need find a device that can pair to and send a feed to two separate devices at the same time. Should be doable since a computer can pair to a bluetooth mouse AND keyboard at the same time. Just need to figure out what one that is (if any)
Alexi

PS - If you already have the SENAs and want to add a LITTLE more complication, you can buy a headphone splitter (very cheap) and two bluetooth adaptors (sure you can find reviews of them on webbikeworld or somewhere else). You plug the bluetooth adaptor into the headphone jacks at the splitter, and each adaptor is paired with the SENA. In THIS manner, you can pair those bluetooth adaptors EACH to a headset as "music only". Then you can pair a phone separately to each headset. It'll work, but there are a few drawbacks. 1) you now have to keep those adaptors charged as WELL as the headsets. Would'nt be an issue for me since my wife doesn't ride with me 24/7 so I'd just have to charge them at most once a week. 2) you can no longer control track forward/track backwards with the jog dial on the SENA. Only can do that if you're directly attached to the phone.

It's not a PRETTY option, and it requires a few more wires and planning, but it IS an option.

What do y'all think of this?

Amazon i10
I have a very similar unit that I use to pair an Ipod Nano with an el-cheapo bluetooth helmet. I don't think it will send to two separate receivers but never tried to do so. I got mine at BestBuy a couple years back so the basic tech is not new, just vastly (?) improved for about the same price.