Service Intervals

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since this is my first FJR (previously owned HD's and Triumphs), I'd like to get some input regarding dealer service. Today I stopped at a Yamaha dealer to inquire about my first service interval (600 miles). They told me it's a 3 hour service plus parts. Then he said the 16,000 service interval was a monster of 17 hours. Is this right???? I'd like to get some input from some folks who have owned FJR's for some time and get some guidance from the group on this. Thanks guys.

Buffaloears

Shouldn't take that much - not even close. If you are reasonably mechanically competent, you can do it all yourself. Valve check can take some time, especially if adjustments are required. Get someone to help.

Other than valve checks and rebuilding suspensions, I do all my on work on the FJR. And that's one of the big reasons I first started on the forum--the body of knowledge and tips to do those things. So, three hours and 17 hours seems crazy to me these days...I'd do it myself.

Since this is my first FJR (previously owned HD's and Triumphs), I'd like to get some input regarding dealer service. Today I stopped at a Yamaha dealer to inquire about my first service interval (600 miles). They told me it's a 3 hour service plus parts. Then he said the 16,000 service interval was a monster of 17 hours. Is this right???? I'd like to get some input from some folks who have owned FJR's for some time and get some guidance from the group on this. Thanks guys.

Buffaloears
17 hours is probably what the dealer book says if they are removing the front plastics and headers before removing and greasing the swingarm.

17 hours is probably what the dealer book says if they are removing the front plastics and headers before removing and greasing the swingarm.
I have owned three FJR's since 2008 and had dealers do four valve checks and one swing arm lube. Never has it taken the ship more than six hours to complete a major service. I have always taken the bile in before the shop opened and let if cool down. By the time they took it in at 8AM I was ready to ride home by 2PM.
Like most on this Forum, I do my own maintenance except valve checks and swing arm lube. I rarely ride in the rain and the bike is kept in my garage.

Buffaloears
Howdy
17 HOURS? I know you bought the bike from them but it's time to never go back to them for anything.
Tom Buckley

Dan Cooper said:
Buffaloears,

Please put your location and scooter information in your profile.
There may be someone nearby who could provide some assistance with maintenance.

Maybe kind of a dumb question but how do I access my profile to add that information?

Look at the right end of the blue banner at the top of the page.
You will see your avatar and your forum handle.
Click on that, in the drop down menu, select Account Details.
In that section you will find entries for your Birthday, Location and Scooter Model Information.
Fill in the blanks, click Save at the bottom and Robert is your mother's brother.

dan

personally i do not touch the bike myself, but i changed dealer. the second one always tries out the bike, doesn't want to empty my bank account, and apologies if the bill is bigger then expected. last maintenance was a big one. valves checked, new disks, new brakes, new tires and complete winter preparation, as i drive the whole year. here in Belgium you may declare all your expenses if you use the bike for home-work traffic. that means the cost of the bike, assurance, fuel, helmet, maintenance, clothes, etc... in other words, the more expensive your bike, the less taxes you pay

Look at the right end of the blue banner at the top of the page.
You will see your avatar and your forum handle.
Click on that, in the drop down menu, select Account Details.
In that section you will find entries for your Birthday, Location and Scooter Model Information.
Fill in the blanks, click Save at the bottom and Robert is your mother's brother.

dan
Thanks Dan. Found it