SFO 2019 - Official Thread - October 24th thru 27th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBandit

Reaction score
For those that don't want to read the entire thing --- I am providing a down and dirty executive summary. However, really y nothing has changed, so if you know the routine then just pluck out the necessary details. See y'all in OCTOBER!

Executive Summary

SFO will be held October 24th thru 27th in Jemison, Alabama. We'll ride during the day and eat and socialize in the evening. Dinner will be served Thursday, Friday and Saturday night. You can camp onsite for free or stay at a nearby hotel. We have a group rate at the Inn of Clanton, 12 miles from SFO Central. (see below for rate and contact info) The cost for the event is $60 per person and includes meals all three nights and tipsey taxi to and from the hotel if necessary. If all of this interest you and you aren't familiar with the details, then see The Details below. If this doesn't interest you, feel free to move on to the next thread.
smile.png

The Details

After some light discussion, it was decided that we'll hold SFO at my property in Jemison, ALABAMA again this year. The only change is the date. Mrs. Bandit and I will be hosting this year at the end of October.

As many have learned over the past couple of years, there is actually some decent riding around the state of Alabama. While certainly not on par with the Ozarks or the Smokies, there are areas with some nice elevation changes, sweepers and even a few areas with some technical riding. We also have some fun dual sport riding nearby. So those of you with dual sport bikes might want to consider bringing those instead of the FJR, just a thought.

I will be posting this over on the fjriders forum. This event is wide open to all, it doesn't have to be FJR only. So tell your non-FJR buddies as well. Generally, folks just need to be sport/adventure tour minded and you are welcome! So on with the plan -----

The Weekend

This event will be held Thursday, October 24th thru Sunday, October 27th. The average temperature at the end of October in Central Alabama typically ranges from around 45 in the morning to upper 60's lower 70's in the afternoon. In the past couple of years we have had unseasonal weather around the time of SFO. I am expecting Chamber of Commerce type weather this year!
smile.png

The Location

My property is located in Jemison, AL, which is only about 30 miles south of the Birmingham suburbs. It's only one mile off of Interstate 65 at Exit 219. The site is located on 21 wooded acres of serenity and is ideal for camping, grilling and chilling.

Directions from Exit 219 to the property

The Eats

Just as last year, after we return from riding, on Friday night we'll have the low-country shrimp boil with kielbasa, corn, and potatoes and on Saturday night, Stan the Man will be preparing Boston Butt BBQ and ribs for us again this year. Of course, an assortment of pies will be available each night for dessert, or even for your main meal if you so desire!
biggrin.png
We'll also have something for the Thursday arrivals as well. Not sure if Mrs. Bandit will be preparing her chicken sausage gumbo or if I'll be grilling burgers, but either way, we will be serving dinner Thursday night. There will also be pastries, fruit and coffee on site each morning for the tent campers. A very large, full breakfast buffet is available at Shoney's next door to the hotel at no additional charge as it is included in your nightly room rate.

The event is BYOB - but for those that will be staying at the hotel, fear not, the tipsey taxi will be running again this year and we will get you from the hotel to SFO Central each night and back to the hotel after the festivities.

The Cost

Let's plan on $60 per person again this year, whether staying onsite or at the hotel. That will cover all three evening meals, morning pastries and coffee for those staying on site and the cost of the port-a-potty.

Method of payment - either cash or Pay Pal. [email protected] Feel free to wait until a month or so before the event to send payment.

Accommodations - Tent Campers

Just as last year, my property will be open and available for tent campers. I have plenty of space for as many tent campers as could even possibly show up. There is at least an acre of wooded area that is cleared out, grubbed and generally level. If you are camping you shouldn't have any trouble finding an ideal spot!

For those that prefer not to camp outdoors, I have a large metal building that has a 1,000 sq. ft. apartment built inside. It is complete with a full eat-in kitchen and a full bathroom. While I will be utilizing the one bedroom in the apartment, those that don't want to camp are welcomed to use the large shop area inside the larger building if you just want to throw down an air mattress. It's certainly not Holiday Inn but at least it will provide free sheltered "accommodations" and can be used by the tent campers in the unlikely event of inclement weather.

Since my apartment onsite only has one bathroom we'll also have a port-a-potty on site. While everyone is welcomed to use the facilities in the apartment, it will just be a space available issue. And you better keep it clean, or my wife will kick your ass!
tango_face_grin.png

Accommodations - Hotel

For those like me that need a real bed, I have arranged for a group rate at a hotel about 15 minutes away on Interstate-65. I will also arrange for transportation to and from the hotel in the evenings after we get back from riding so that you can enjoy a few adult beverages and not have to be on the bike to and from the evening festivities at the property.

The hotel recommendation is the Inn of Clanton, same place as last year. I have received zero negative feedback, only positive comments on the place over the past three years we have stayed there. It's no frills, but clean, reportedly comfortable and the price is right. They have a mini fridge in each room and the price includes a FULL breakfast from the breakfast bar at Shoney's Restaurant next door to the hotel.

The price this year is $62 for single or double, plus tax for a total of $70.68 and includes the breakfast bar next door at Shoney's each day.

Please contact the hotel directly and inform them that you will be with the SFO group to get the special rate.

Inn of Clanton
946 Lake Mitchell Road
Clanton, AL 35045
205-755-7829
I 65 - Exit 208

Current List of Attendees - (will be updated here regularly as the list grows)
As of October 21st

CampingFJRbandit and Mrs. BanditHondapotamusCraigregsHppantsdanh600natehawk750Poolboystose85Uncle Hudboozerintech1911 & Mrs. 1911Redfish and Pops (Peach Queen Campground)Top_Speed1 and his better half (Peach Queen Campground)06FJREd and partner in crime (Peach Queen Campground)HotelTyler
FJRfarrierDSbiker (and Wanda)Kornbread101stpathfinder (95%)jwillymfletch69Bkerchuck (and Diane)LKLDGralerblind squirrelcreg-ny-baa
PrestonewinewhispererLCBpjleduc
kaismo

Local Riders

leo
fencer??

Just post up in this thread if you are going to be able to make it. Please let me know whether you will be staying at the hotel or camping onsite. I need the headcount of the people staying at the hotel for tipsey taxi purposes. Also, if you want to volunteer to be a responsible tipsey taxi driver, please let me know as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
End of October? Hmmmm, I guess I'm out of excuses for missing this one. Placing the dates in the planning matrix.
smile.png

Edited:

I just remembered I live in North Dakota. There may be two feet of snow by the end of October necessitating hauling the bike at least part way.

End of October? Hmmmm, I guess I'm out of excuses for missing this one. Placing the dates in the planning matrix.
smile.png

Edited:

I just remembered I live in North Dakota. There may be two feet of snow by the end of October necessitating hauling the bike at least part way.
There's no shame in trailering the bike under THOSE circumstances, Kevin. Other than that, you might be subject to ridicule from the masses.
lol.gif

I'll be there camping
YES!

I'm putting shot #4 down, put me down for camping.

Able, we're holding you to it this year! Sounds like you finally learned the rhythm method.
winksmiley02.gif

I am 90% sure I will make this. I will make a decision after July.I have never made the SFO, I think that needs to change.

A thanks to the organizers!

I agree, that needs to change. Hopefully your odds will change to 100% Tony! I mean hell, with your riding prowess we're really just in your backyard.
bye.gif

Please list me in the camping category. No football games of interest that weekend, so look for me Friday evening.

I'm putting shot #4 down, put me down for camping.

Able, we're holding you to it this year! Sounds like you finally learned the rhythm method.
winksmiley02.gif
Haha she's talking about kid #3 now, I said we can't even START to think about that until January 2020!
w00t.gif

Hey Turk and Jana,

Count me in, because what kind of SFO would it be without me there?? Thats right, I am like that annoying relative that comes to visit once a year and once they leave you are so happy you won't have to see them again for another year!!
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
Hotel of course!

Count Mrs Goodman4 and I as a maybe depending on work. I'm 70% sure we can work it out. We're newbs to any FJR event but I've always wanted to meet some of the weirdos that have helped me so much over the years. My daughter lives just 40 mins from your campsite so we will be staying with them.

Great! Hopefully y'all can make it down this year!

Just an FYI to all the Maybes, those that aren't completely sure you'll be able to make it, as far as the $60 goes if you pay in advance and then for whatever reason you can't make it then just let me know a week or so in advance and I'll return your money. We just really need a solid head count a week in advance so that we can purchase the right amount of food for the masses. So I recommend just waiting until about a month out before you send in your rally fee when hopefully you'll have a good idea whether you can make it or not.

UPDATE -

Just wanted to remind those that will be staying at the hotel to call the hotel directly and let them know you will be with the SFO rally in order to get the group rate. I spoke with Holly in the front office this morning and she told me she only had two rooms reserved at this time, of our block of nine rooms. If we fill that up I'm sure we can get more as long as they have additional rooms available.

Please contact the hotel directly and inform them that you will be with the SFO group to get the special rate of $62 plus tax (breakfast bar at Shoney's is included)

Inn of Clanton
946 Lake Mitchell Road
Clanton, AL 35045
205-755-7829
I 65 - Exit 208