Shift Fork Wear / Worn Dogs?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyducks

Reaction score
Hello Community.

Been on the road for 4 months now, and Im getting a bit concerned about my transmission.

At second gear (when I really goose it) the engine feels like it slips at 4000, i sometimes hear a clunk than it goes back into the power-band around 6000. From what i've read this appears to be a bent fork or worn dogs on the transmission.

If I go through the shifts at a normal pace it acts normal. Its been about 14,000 miles and the symptoms haven't worsened. How long will i be able to go on this transmission, is this something I can get by on or will i be left stranded suddenly?

Given the cost of parts and labor and my bike has 74,000 miles, would it make sense to ride until it fails and buy a used motor and have it installed when need be? Should i get fixed immediately? Any opinions are appreciated.

Sounds like classic bent fork / worn dogs symptoms. Live with it and be nice in second, or take the motor apart and replace the parts.

Or get a used motor from a wrecking yard or eBay and hope that it will be in better shape. (Chances are it will be.)

My 08 (26k) has the same problem. It started out where it would just pop out of gear on high RPM in second with no other behavior. Since that started, I short shift that gear at under 3,000 rpm.

For about the last 2,000 miles or so, there are times when it's darn near impossible to shift the bike into another gear. This behavior generally occurs while in 1st and right after a stop and go, but not always. That starts moving the issue into a safety concern.

If you start getting the impossible to shift behavior, I'd say it's time to do something. I'll be doing something about mine.

At second gear (when I really goose it) the engine feels like it slips at 4000, i sometimes hear a clunk than it goes back into the power-band around 6000. From what i've read this appears to be a bent fork or worn dogs on the transmission.

If I go through the shifts at a normal pace it acts normal. Its been about 14,000 miles and the symptoms haven't worsened. How long will i be able to go on this transmission, is this something I can get by on or will i be left stranded suddenly?
I have the exact same problem. I plan to be taking mine in to the dealership soon to get the repairs made. I have 66k on the engine - less than you have, but it does seem our problems started at around the same mileage. Even at your mileage (low by FJR standards) I'd still go for the fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn hoons abusing yer trannies!

travestite.jpg