Shifting Centering Spring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekms377

Reaction score
It seems when I am shifting from one gear to the next, I have to shift twice sometimes to get it to go. So now, I have to shift and then put pressure again on the shifter to take up the slack to get it to shift to the next gear. Almost, seems like the shifting centering spring may be weak. Any ideas? Clutch maybe?

If you own a T50 torx wrench there is a high probability that the fix is simple and free. When was the last time the shift arm, shift rod and the left peg bracket were removed and lubed? Just lubing the two rod ends in the dust covers won't get 'er done. Pull the peg bracket, clean and lube. Be prepared for a miracle :) [in the unlikely event that this clean & lube doesn't fix the problem, this oft overlooked maintenance needed to be done anyway.]

Last edited by a moderator:
If you own a T50 torx wrench there is a high probability that the fix is simple and free. When was the last time the shift arm, shift rod and the left peg bracket were removed and lubed? Just lubing the two rod ends in the dust covers won't get 'er done. Pull the peg bracket, clean and lube. Be prepared for a miracle :) [in the unlikely event that this clean & lube doesn't fix the problem, this oft overlooked maintenance needed to be done anyway.]
Thanks ionbeam......I'll def try it.

If you take the shift lever off the bracket you will find a wave washer. I took mine and flattened it out with a hammer on a smooth surface. Now it doesn't exert pressure on the shifter causing it to stick. Thay was 50k miles ago and with a lube job about every 10k it shifts fine.

Adjustment of the shift rod position is also not something to overlook. Had the same "feeling" about the way mine shifted until I realized it was the position of the shifter, mine was a bit high making the "up" shift not engauge the gear correcty or miss it completely. A simple adjustment solved the shift issue, there are alignment marks on the engine case that help you gauge how much you adjust it as well.

Great advice IonBeam.. I'm guilty as charged, so far only just squirted liquid lube into the two end rods. I might get around to doing this next Saturday, either that or in 2011. :unsure: :rolleyes:

Adjustment of the shift rod position is also not something to overlook. Had the same "feeling" about the way mine shifted until I realized it was the position of the shifter, mine was a bit high making the "up" shift not engauge the gear correcty or miss it completely. A simple adjustment solved the shift issue, there are alignment marks on the engine case that help you gauge how much you adjust it as well.
I thought about that as well.....I will do a total overhaul on the shifter mechanism this weekend. We'll see what happens. I tried liquid lube last night but today seems the same.

It seems when I am shifting from one gear to the next, I have to shift twice sometimes to get it to go. So now, I have to shift and then put pressure again on the shifter to take up the slack to get it to shift to the next gear. Almost, seems like the shifting centering spring may be weak. Any ideas? Clutch maybe?
When I first got my bike I had the same type of problem. I found that when I shifted the previous time I was not allowing the shift lever to return to it's neutral position. When I started making sure I was releasing it completely the problem stopped. Hope it is something this simple.

Mark

Something else that many of us have done is replace the shift arm with a shorter one from an R1. It makes shifting throws shorter, and shifting quicker. Do a search on the R1 shift arm and you'll find plenty of reading.

If you take the shift lever off the bracket you will find a wave washer. I took mine and flattened it out with a hammer on a smooth surface. Now it doesn't exert pressure on the shifter causing it to stick. Thay was 50k miles ago and with a lube job about every 10k it shifts fine.
It never did. The lube job has solved the problem, not flattening that washer. All the washer does is prevent side play in the arm. For those who haven't disassembled, cleaned and greased the frame side of the shift assembly, you are in for a real gear banging treat come test ride. ;)

It never did. The lube job has solved the problem, not flattening that washer. All the washer does is prevent side play in the arm. For those who haven't disassembled, cleaned and greased the frame side of the shift assembly, you are in for a real gear banging treat come test ride. ;)
OK...did a complete removal, clean, lube, and reinstall this weekend. Seems a bit better but not totally. I do see where flattening the washer may help. When I tighten the bolt that holds the shifter on, I have very little side play and the shifter does not move freely. However, when I did loosen the bolt back up, it seemed a bit better but the bolt will loosen and fall out. I may take back apart and see if I can get more side play.

OK...did a complete removal, clean, lube, and reinstall this weekend. Seems a bit better but not totally. I do see where flattening the washer may help. When I tighten the bolt that holds the shifter on, I have very little side play and the shifter does not move freely. However, when I did loosen the bolt back up, it seemed a bit better but the bolt will loosen and fall out. I may take back apart and see if I can get more side play.
Just remove the wave spring. It just keep the shift pedal from rattling is all. I've had mine off of the FJR for 3 yrs. now. Do it to all my Yamaha's. Can't hear it at 9000 rpm anyways! lol Works fine.

OK...took the wave washer off.....we'll see tomorrow.....I hope it works. Feels like it is inside......but I am hoping not.

OK...took the wave washer off.....we'll see tomorrow.....I hope it works. Feels like it is inside......but I am hoping not.
Got to ride it to work on back yesterday...it does seem a whole lot better but I am not sure there is something else I am missing. I'll keep and eye out for anything out of the ordinary. I hope it's nothing inside the tranny. Thanks for all the help everyone.