Shifting Problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desmo118

Reaction score
Recently, I started having a problem when shifting to 3rd gear. It feels like nothing is there. I have to pull up on the shifter a couple of times before the bike will go into gear. I first noticed it while passing a car. Thought that it had shifted into gear, let out the clutch and just about kissed the windscreen. It doesn't happen all the time and it happens on the up shift and down shift. Thanks.

After I bought new Alpinestar boots, I started missing 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. Felt like nothing was there...sound familiar? I made a concious effort to release the shifter completely after each upshift...and, VOILA, no more missed shifts.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I just bought some new boots and didn't even think about them affecting my shifts. I guess I'll start paying more attention to how I shift. :)

The new boots are the smoking gun. The FJR shifter has to be allowed to come all the way down after an upshift to rachet the next gear. Make a conscious effort to allow the shifter to go down after the upshift and your problem will be solved.

- Mark