Shoie Quest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMRoadRunner

A Bulls work is never done!
Reaction score
And do you like it? The price is good for a Shoie helmet, and they are showing up here at a few dealers. Do I want one? :unsure: You tell me.

I've worn out several the hard way and they've always done their job. Having said that, just get one that fits. I have a "Shoei head", others don't and can only wear Fulmer, Scorpion, etc. YMMV

I've got one, it's quiet, light and the face shield/opening is bigger. All in all I like it a lot. Enough so that I'm not using the modular anymore.

DC

I've just purchased a new Shoei Qwest (Red Airfoil graphics) and this time I think they got it right.

After couple of years (30K miles) wearing the Shoei RF-1100, (it's nice but still louder than I'd like) it seems as if I found the helmet I've been looking for.

Once you close the face on the Qwest its like you just entered Maxwell Smarts "cone of silence".

After about a hundred miles of use, I can say this thing rocks.

A cold front has just dropped into the South Texas area, so I can't yet determine if the ventilation is up to the task.

I plan to ride up to hill country this weekend, and I expect that with some more time and miles in it I'll be able to share a more objective evaluation.

It feels a bit lighter and a whole lot quieter... yes :helmetsmiley: plus 1

After couple of years (30K miles) wearing the Shoei RF-1100, (it's nice but still louder than I'd like) it seems as if I found the helmet I've been looking for.

After about a hundred miles of use, I can say this thing rocks.

A cold front has just dropped into the South Texas area, so I can't yet determine if the ventilation is up to the task.

It feels a bit lighter and a whole lot quieter... yes :helmetsmiley: plus 1
FWIW, the RF-1100 just came out this past year.

FWIW #2, Web Bike World thought that the Qwest was the greatest thing since sliced bread, with incredible ventilation, yada yada yada...

FWIW #3, the salesman at the BMW/HD dealership in Louisville did not have any Qwests on the showroom floor to sell when I went to check out the Schuberth C3 a couple of weeks ago, but when I said I was wearing assorted Shoeis (RF1100, Hornet DS, and MultiTec), he gushed that he had the new Qwest, and that it was incredible. He loved it, and was not trying to sell me one.

FWIW #4, I've decided that different bikes warrant different helmets. No wind screen = racing type helmet (Shoei X-12 or equivalent) to avoid that 'beaten about the ears' feeling when you get back from a longish ride. Tall wind screen = nearly anything, including Dual Sport or Modular could be perfectly comfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me revise my earlier post

After couple of years (30K miles) wearing the Shoei XR-1100, (it's nice but still louder than I'd like)

Sorry for the the mistake.

After reading other posts on this forum, I tried the XR-1100 with the visor removed, to reduce wind noise.

I found that the air moving my sun glasses was a bit too distracting.

So that others can more accurately compare apples to apples let me add that; I'm 5'11" ride with the seat in upper position and currently use the V-Stream windscreen.

Did Shoei change their basic head shape for this helmet? I had a Shoei RF1100 and it pressed into my forehead a bit and didnt seem to work with my headshape. It gave me a headache after an hour.

Did Shoei change their basic head shape for this helmet? I had a Shoei RF1100 and it pressed into my forehead a bit and didnt seem to work with my headshape. It gave me a headache after an hour.

nope

Only going off the above review of the Qwest. Yes they did change the shape of the Qwest "slight more round than the intermediate oval shape of the RF1100".

They also added more shell sizes (from 3 to 5 IIRC).

Tried on a XL at the International Motorcycle Show in Dallas last weekend and it felt like a more comfortable version of my RF1000 which already is a great helmet. My RF1000 is about 5 years old so I could justify a new one (more of a want than a need).

I've got one, it's quiet, light and the face shield/opening is bigger. All in all I like it a lot. Enough so that I'm not using the modular anymore.DC
Timely comment. The only reason I may not go with the Quest is because I want a modular. I want a modular mainly for less yanking on earplug wires when putting on and taking off the helmet, cooling benefits during our hot summers in Dallas and being heard more easily while stopped if the chin guard is in the up position. Please set me straight if these perceived benefits are overrated. The disadvantages of modulars being heavy and loud may outweigh any potential benefits.