Sick of heat, sick of buffeting behind fairing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falcon

Reaction score
img32686sn.jpg

So um yeah. I have a bad habit of taking things apart. The front fairing just traps too much damn heat for summer riding.

I didn't want the fairing anymore. I didn't put too much thought into the logistics of doing this, but I didn't see anything unsurmountable getting the bike stripped down. Fashioning a mounting bracket for the headlight/instrument cluster and associated wiring is going to be a challenge to make it look good, and I am not a skilled fabricator by any means. I need to fashion a bracket for a headlight and turn signals, and redo the wiring including move the battery under the seat. There is a large space there for the ABS unit, which my bike doesn't have. Also order mirrors the mount to the handlebars.

An aluminum radiator would look nice instead of the black one.

img32736dc.jpg

I want the turn signals and headlight to look something like the Euro spec XJR1300:

xjr13005pn.jpg

So um...where do I get things like headlights and turn signals? I think I am going to use the original mount points for the fairing in the center of the steering head, so the whole thing will stick out a bit more than that XJR bike. I can resort to mounting things on the forks if it ends up looking silly.

I am crazy.

Mr. FJR1300, meet Mr. Hannibal the bike cannibal Lector. How do you do, Mr. Lect...aighhhhhheeeee, my fairing, my fairing...you cut off my fairing...gurgle, hack, cough...no...not ...the headlight, aigheeee, I can't seeeeeeee....

;)

I am crazy.
That pretty much sums it up.

Mr. FJR1300, meet Mr. Hannibal the bike cannibal Lector. How do you do, Mr. Lect...aighhhhhheeeee, my fairing, my fairing...you cut off my fairing...gurgle, hack, cough...no...not ...the headlight, aigheeee, I can't seeeeeeee....
Now THAT was hilarious!

So, why not buy an XJR or FZ1 instead? This is just rediculous. You pay twice the money of a FZ1 to get a FJR and now you try to turn the FJR into a FZ1. :blink:

You could like, ahhhhh...... ride the Kawasaki in the background?
Nope, stripping that prick too. NO MORE PLASTIC!-NO MORE PLASTIC! WHAT DO WE WANT?! NAKED! WHEN DO WE WANT IT!? NOW!!!!!!!

Sure as hell you did not like the heat ! Woaa bro. Put it back together and go buy yourself a Speed Triple !

You guys crack me up!! I know most of you are scratching your heads at this, but if you understood my personal situation and needs for the bike, you'd understand. I didn't like the amount of turbulence coming off the fairing even with NO windscreen. I also happen to think its going to look pretty neat when I am done.

Getting another bike is NOT an option. I even but this baby up for sale last year, but didn't sell it. I've looked at other bikes and nothing really fit the bill. I came to the realization that no bike is exactly what I want, but with a little help from the engineering staff at work and the salvage yard, I can at least get back on the road and see what I think of the naked configuration. If this was all a horrible mistake, I'll have everything sitting in a box ready to go back on the bike.

This isn't the first time I've done something like this on a vehicle. I guess the response was to be expected. I'll keep you guys posted because I am sure some of you will be morbidly curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much for the leftovers? I don't think you can cut off that aluminum frame to make it look like an XJR.

Bruce

Huh.... interesting. So umm... where you gonna put the battery?
The battery is going under the seat, where God intended. :D Thanks for the link to Wild Hair...chatting up the mechanical engineers at lunch about this.

Still trying to figure out if I want to use the fairing bosses to mount the headlight/instrument cluster, or use the fork mount approach like on the XJR.

Not for me... but I hope it works out for you...