Side case protector glue.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamal

No longer frightened by corners!
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't find it, either with a Google or forum search.

Anyway. Came home from a ride and noticed this:

001-3.jpg

002-1.jpg

When I built my yard gate I didn't have an FJR (used a wheelbarrow to determine the width
rolleyes.gif
), so I have 'sideswiped' the gate a few times - fixing that today!

I've ordered a new protector and logo. My question is, what kind of glue is used to hold them on? It looks like black silicone, only harder.

Thanks in advance.

Al.

I think the protector and the logo are self adhesive..

Sorry, i didn't see that you have ordered these..

Last edited by a moderator:
If you need to glue the new bumper on 3M makes really good adhesives just for this task. Representative of the product line:

Ultrapro-Trim-Emblem-Adhesive-300.jpg

The logo comes affixed to the protector. So if you ordered an extra logo. Well you shall have an extra logo. Logo has adhesive backing. Protector doesn't.

Black RTV Silicone
Be careful with the RTV. It doesn't always stick well to other smooth or rubber like surfaces.

I'd recommend the 3M adhesive shown above, just be careful about getting it on the paint. The specs say it won't harm "cured" paint. If you've recently painted anything make sure to wait a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Black RTV Silicone
Be careful with the RTV. It doesn't always stick well to other smooth or rubber like surfaces.

I'd recommend the 3M adhesive shown above, just be careful about getting it on the paint. The specs say it won't harm "cured" paint. If you've recently painted anything make sure to wait a bit.
Black RTV Silicone is what garauld recommended after I had the side bags repainted. That's what I used. So far so good..

The 3M stuff may work better. Dunno..

The logo comes affixed to the protector. So if you ordered an extra logo. Well you shall have an extra logo. Logo has adhesive backing. Protector doesn't.
Re: https://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2004/FJR1300+-+FJR1300SC/SADDLEBAGS/parts.html

Are you saying I didn't need to order #10, just #4? I ordered both - no big deal.

Just talking to a buddy at a body shop, he will 'lend' me some 3M Ultrapro - thanks ionbeam.
Yep that's what I did. Ordered #4. and #10 came with it. Extra logos don't hurt though, find someplace to stick to hide scratches! :p LOL

Hey Al, I have some stuff used to adhere the rubber weather stripping around the door and trunk of cars? I think it would be perfect and I have a large tube barely used? Give me a call.

Mark

The urathane product that glass shops use to glue windshields in works well. Most of them will put a dab on for you if you stop by.

I have the same issue. I repainted my bags, due to drop scuffs. It doesnt appear to me that adhesive was used to attach these originally. Maybe im wrong but they appear to be male/female fit contours. The hardbag side, male; the protector side, female. That being said ive had no luck pressing them back on. I may just go with the adhesive. Thoughts.

I have used a good quality silicon adhesive. Worked fine. Or you can get the 3M double sided tape at an automotive shop and trim it to fit the shape of the rubber piece.

Both work